Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 May 2004, 18:16 (Ref:960681)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Will BTC-Spec cars die off>?

Do people think that the way forward is the ETCC technical rules?

I must say the ETCC cars look far nicer than the BTC rules with those stupid false rear wings that look far too big.
The ETCC cars look far better anyhow.
But do people think the BTC cars will be phased out eventually?
Old 4 May 2004, 18:23 (Ref:960687)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, most money is being pumped in to ETCC spec' car so I guess it isn't impossible.
Old 4 May 2004, 18:48 (Ref:960710)   #3
DiscoGoober
Racer

DiscoGoober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say it's pretty likely. Gow said himself on the official BTCC site forum that he'd like to see four door cars become the norm again once these rules come to their end.
Old 4 May 2004, 19:16 (Ref:960747)   #4
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure we will see some kind of universal spec of tourer (like we had Super Tourer in the 90s) and it's sure to follow ETC-spec. The BTC regs run out at the end of 2006 so the cars will probably be phased out until then!
Old 4 May 2004, 19:56 (Ref:960787)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As ever in championships it will be decided by the natural order of things and how many manufacturers want to build the cars to which rules.

As more ETCC cars already exist than BTC ones, and that only two manufacturer's have entered 'full' (multi car) factory BTC spec teams, its fair to say that ETCC spec cars will probably be the sole spec in the future of the BTCC.
Old 4 May 2004, 21:38 (Ref:960903)   #6
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all likelyhood the BTC spec will die out. It makes more commercial sense to build to ETCC, because you have the flexibility of championships in which the cars can be entered, therefore increasing their value.

I must say i prefer the ETCC wings to the BTCC, but i like the almost barge board sides that the BTC spec cars have!
Old 5 May 2004, 14:32 (Ref:961541)   #7
md28
Rookie

md28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, it seems a shame that BTC spec will probably bow in favour of Super2000 regs, especially as it was the BTCC that first created this new kind of formula and then ETCC adopting a similar tactic a year later. I do prefer the style of the ETCC cars aswell.

Could there not be an amalgimation(!?) of both formulas into one internationally recognised formula, i.e take the best bits from both regulations? I suppose ETCC commitee will have the final say and I'm not sure how much interaction they have with the BTCC, but the sport definately needs to return to a one rule formation.
Old 5 May 2004, 17:49 (Ref:961730)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that the STCC is running the same S2000 regs as the ETCC (with a fair amount of crossovers having been done already). Sure, the STCC isn't the biggest touring car championship out there, but it shouldn't be overlooked either
Old 6 May 2004, 00:19 (Ref:962116)   #9
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by md28
Could there not be an amalgimation(!?) of both formulas into one internationally recognised formula, i.e take the best bits from both regulations? I suppose ETCC commitee will have the final say and I'm not sure how much interaction they have with the BTCC, but the sport definately needs to return to a one rule formation.
I don't think that would ever happen. As far as the FIA are concerned, they have created a set of rules, and whether a country decides to run to those rules or not is the choice of the conutry conerned.

The FIA obviously thinks its' rules are ok - that's why they created them in the first place, instead of seeing sense and adopting the BTCC rules.

Last edited by 100%VauxhallFan; 6 May 2004 at 00:20.
Old 6 May 2004, 00:45 (Ref:962125)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this is the case (that BTCC will switch to ETCC specs say in 2007), isn't it likely the manufacturers are going to want confirmation of this soon?

Vauxhall for example, will have to ditch the Astra at the end of this season - it makes no sense to continue with it since it's not even the current road car version - and I doubt it's likely they're going to want to develop the Vectra to BTCC specs if they have to throw the car away after two seasons.

It's far more likely they'll want to build to Super 2000 regs if that's going to be the BTCC's future and get at least a development year underway.

Honda already have work in progress on the Accord by JAS, so they'll be ready. The key loss would be MG, and since they're not works backed there's not a major issue with 'losing' a manufacturer - except Proton.

I think they'd have to go to ETCC rules all round, which I can't see would do the BTCC any harm - being able to poach manufacturers / entrants from the ETCC.
Old 6 May 2004, 01:00 (Ref:962132)   #11
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure the teams know what the state of play is. I mean, we are only second guessing what's happening, but the teams will be talking to people in the know, so they will know what to do.
Old 6 May 2004, 08:32 (Ref:962282)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Put it this way, no new BTCC entants are going to build BTC spec cars, the two new makes of car on the grid this year are both ETCC spec, any new 'works' incomers like BMW will only come in with ETCC cars (IMO).
Old 6 May 2004, 11:35 (Ref:962419)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the BTCC-spec cars will gradually die out. The Hodnas can eb reasonably converted to ETCC-spec, and Vauxhall may choose to develop their enxt car to those regulations. SEAT's impressive early perforamcnes show that the cars are competitive currently, especially considering that Alfa and BMW had the edge in the ETCC last year. If Proton were to pull out after 2004 (which seems feasible considering their lacklustre form so far) there could be no fully works BTCC-type cars in 2005.
Old 6 May 2004, 13:08 (Ref:962516)   #14
md28
Rookie

md28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened when the Super Touring rules were chosen, who gave way then?
Old 6 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:962784)   #15
transeuropexpre
Rookie

transeuropexpre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a good thing if the U.K. chooses to adopt the super 2000.

It will be a good way to make France chose the super 2000 for 2005.

Currently, the FFSA is working so as to replace silhouettes for 2005, so that we will probably have super 2000 cars in France in 2005.
Old 6 May 2004, 21:02 (Ref:962889)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Super Tourer said, no way is any new manufacturer going to enter with a BTC spec machine. Take BMW GB for example, they have said it would be totally out of their budget to put all the money into build, development and running of a BTC spec car, but now they can simply bring a car to the UK used officially by BMW, the series is far more tempting. Same applies to Alfa Romeo, and of course we'd probably never have seen SEAT UK in if they'd had to build a new spec car.

Talking of Honda, I have a feeling that they have scaled back this year for a full blown ETCC spec Accord project next year.

md28 - what do you mean ? The BTCC pioneered those rules, running them first in 1990. The FIA adopted them for use worldwide.
Old 8 May 2004, 16:28 (Ref:964384)   #17
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What!!!!!!! I love the BTCC Rear Wings, the ETCC ones look a little on the tiny side! I also Like the Barge Board Sides! The ETCC Cars are a litte more fragile in my opinion, those doors are at risk from contact although if the sport becoms as big as it was in the 90's then i won't be dissapointed!
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 9 May 2004, 08:53 (Ref:964815)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by md28
What happened when the Super Touring rules were chosen, who gave way then?
In ST case, I believe, the FIA actually adopted the British rules for Group 2, tweaked it slightly in the aero dept and formally renamed it ST? Of course, Group 2 was another improved version of the Group A? Do I have my history correct??