Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:56 (Ref:990443)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
BTCC - 25kgs off the ETCC spec cars

press release:

Green Flag MSA British Touring Car officials have granted cars running to European Touring Car regulations a 25-kilogram reduction in weight from the next three championship rounds at Mondello Park on 12-13 June.

The announcement will affect SEAT Sport UK’s Toledo model and privateer teams Edenbridge Racing’s BMW 320i, Team Sureterm’s Alfa Romeo 156 GTA and Team Quest/Varta’s Honda Civic.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow said that the decision was taken after detailed analysis of performance of both ETCC and BTCC-spec cars running in Britain.

Gow commented: “In the best interests of the BTCC, the two types of cars should boast equal performance. That is essential in generating more of the exceptionally close racing we have witnessed so far this season.

“In the last three ETCC meetings, SEAT’s Toledo has proved it is now on a par with the best out there from established leaders Alfa Romeo and BMW.

“It should therefore be equal in performance to the best of the BTCC-spec cars, such as the Vauxhall Astras and Honda Civics. I believe a 25kg weight reduction will achieve this equality.”
Old 1 Jun 2004, 15:58 (Ref:990480)   #2
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are we just back to where we started now? With the -50kgs compared to the BTC-specs?!!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:20 (Ref:990507)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like it.

I guess the (fairly fair) reasoning is the -50kg was upped to -25kg as when Seat went and won the first race, and proved competitive straight away - where Seat were still chasing indie Alfa's for points in the ETCC, meant the UK Seats must have had an advantage.

Now Rydell, Gene & Diefenbacher are posting poles and closely chasing wins - it's possible the performance of the UK Seat's was comparable.

However...

evil theory 1: Gow - Well, Vauxhall's winning all the time is boring, so helping the Seats having a go's probably the best solution;

Leads to Evil Theory II:

That'll get those Vauxhall's for fudging my British GP race!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:56 (Ref:990536)   #4
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that it has got to be good for the BTCC to ensure that the ETCC spec cars are competitive.

As an aside, I am led to wonder if there is any relationship between the new found form of the Seat run cars in the ETCC and the fact that a top UK team is running the cars in the UK with masses of experience of getting cars just right..... plus added support from the parent company in the engine department.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:00 (Ref:990544)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
should be interesting if Plato and Huff do Donington ETCC
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:07 (Ref:990550)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fingers crossed, I hope they do! That'd be awesome.

(Though the Seat Sport spain cars are a heck of a lot prettier)

I also believe the ETCC has some new rules about the weight limits applied to one off competitors that might make that unappealing (after Thompson's Alfa blockade last year)

Last edited by Hazard; 1 Jun 2004 at 17:16.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:23 (Ref:990565)   #7
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by andy_b
should be interesting if Plato and Huff do Donington ETCC
They won't/can't if you read Alan Gow's forum on the btcc.net site.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:27 (Ref:990566)   #8
peter briggs
Rookie

peter briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately the BMW cannot run as low as the new weight limit allows. An ETCC BMW weighs approx 55 kg above the minimum so will not help us ,50 kg on BTCC would. ETCC race at Donington, Plato and other BTCC drivers are not allowed to compete in this event as per the BTCC regs.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:34 (Ref:990573)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Just checked the Toca forum, it's not clear though from this - Is the rule against the driver or the car or both?

I'd have thought the driver could take part if he's driving a different car? (Not that I'd expect them to)
Old 1 Jun 2004, 19:56 (Ref:990750)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't see the harm in a driver racing another make of car elsewhere, I think the ban on testing is primarily against the team as a whole.

We know the SEAT UK car's can't compete at Donington ETCC, could Plato or Huff though, take over one of the ETCC teams cars for the weekend ??
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:10 (Ref:990779)   #11
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems odd that they've decided to change it again.

I wonder if they are trying to increase the incentive for more ETCC spec cars in the future, making the development of a BTC spec difficult, so that a possible ETCC spec only series emerges in 2007?

I thought the SEATS were competative enough with the 25 kgs.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:00 (Ref:990821)   #12
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wreckon your first point is more likely. With the GP race lost (where some ETCC teams were/ may have entered) they could have seen this as an alternative to attracting the ETCC teams and more ETCC spec cars.
It will be a shame if we do go ETCC spec only because the BTCC cars look better in my opinion. Take the Proton- road car is butt ugly but with those BTCC side bits/dwarf step and over sized rear wing it looks good.

What am I on about? Nevermind.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 08:33 (Ref:991187)   #13
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that the BTC spec cars look better overall, but I am getting annoyed with the oversized wings, which is perhaps why the look of the ETCC spec cars doesn't seem quite so bad as I first thought.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 17:52 (Ref:991798)   #14
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
However...

evil theory 1: Gow - Well, Vauxhall's winning all the time is boring, so helping the Seats having a go's probably the best solution;

Leads to Evil Theory II:

That'll get those Vauxhall's for fudging my British GP race!
Quality post!
Old 2 Jun 2004, 23:25 (Ref:992104)   #15
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Quality post!
Cheers. Though I don't think I'm too far off reality.

If Seat want to 'test' at Donington for three days, as a 'new team' is allowed to apply for the privilege apparently, hopefully Alan will give permission for that too.

But since the Seat Spain guys are running so well now, I don't think Seat will be too worried if they don't take the RML boys along.

Quote:
We know the SEAT UK car's can't compete at Donington ETCC, could Plato or Huff though, take over one of the ETCC teams cars for the weekend ??
Nah, that would infuriate one of the drivers for sure. Since Seat are treating their drivers so equally (and it's working so well), I don't think they could ask Gen...*cough* I mean, one of their drivers to sit aside for a race