Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Feb 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1227633)   #1
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
French police warning

Not quite sure if this is the right place to start this, but:
to all drivers, marshals or spectators who are planning a trip to France or beyond:
as of Jan 1 it is mandatory to have one of those yellow or orange safety vests (in case of a breakdown) in your car. The french police are targeting the foreign drivers and impose huge fines if you're not carrying one of these vests. Fines are as high as 100 Pound +
No chance to escape the fine by telling that you are not french, their reply is that it is your duty to find these things out.
It happened to a friend of a friend, he went only shopping just 5 km into France: 140 Pound fine, thank you very much!
Old 16 Feb 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1227736)   #2
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that one for each person in the car or just one per car?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1227963)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blooming heck......
Old 17 Feb 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1227968)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Never heard of it...

You've to have a yellow jacket if you drive a truck, just in case of maintenane, that's all.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1227970)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yet another example of the French police targeting English people who are in France spending money and helping the French economy. The number of times I have driven from the south of France to Calais only to encounter a speed trap on the road into Calais catching all the English as they head home. I'm not saying speeding is acceptable, but the way the French target tourists and not their own people rather annoys me.

Rant over.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 17 Feb 2005 at 08:46.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1227988)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But why wouldn't you target the people who are most likely to be breaching the law?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1227991)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ian, my point was that you can drive from one end of France to the other, be overtaken by hundreds of French people, no speed traps. Then the road into Calais that carried around 90% tourists has a speed trap. This has happened year after year so it's obvious who is being targetted.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1228002)   #8
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I notice this little law change hasn't made any news items that i've seen, you'da thought that as it's a safety issue travellers would need to know. If I stop a Frenchman, will he be carrying a HiViz vest?

BTW, I agree with Stephen, the amount of Police out around the ports, it's clear who is being targetted.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1228005)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, the one Frenchman who has posted so far in this thread has never heard of the new law....... (time to do some research Fab...... )

I'm with Stephen on his rant. But we both know full well that cameras and traps are situated so as to generate the best income, not to achieve any kind of serious safety need, so pitching them where they catch exiting Brits makes perfect (if thoroughly foul) sense......
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1228019)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've heard that Spain had brought in the hi-vis vest rule, so if one of our French friends could confirm the situation then I'm sure we'd all be grateful.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1228030)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair, I did some driving in France last year. As it was my first time, I read up. In doing so, I noted that the hi-vis vest rule does apply in Spain, and that it was due to be introduced in France.

Surely before you drive in another country you'd make sure you knew the rules of the road anyway?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1228055)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Of course Ian but I have been onto the RAC website and there is no mention of it being law in France there. Needless to say I have e-mailed the RAC to ask for clarification.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1228178)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What's the problem? I carry a hi viz in my car all the time, they aren't expensive and are a good safety aid in the event of a breakdown in any country.
How many of you who go to France carry a spare set of bulbs?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1228189)   #14
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, didn't carry spare bulbs last year, but then the car was 6 months old, so I wouldnt expect to need to.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1228209)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Nope, didn't carry spare bulbs last year, but then the car was 6 months old, so I wouldnt expect to need to.
It's another law for motoring in France that you have to carry a set of bulbs wheter you think you need them or not
Old 17 Feb 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1228213)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No mention of Vest on the AA site

But then again don't you have to have spare spectacles in certain places, and there is no mention of that.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1228283)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it is true about the fine. The guy who got caught is still ******* angry. The vests are law as well in Italy. It seems that the police are targetting ALL foreign drivers, so even poor me!
To be safe I have a yellow vest in the car now.
Anyhow, my concern was only to warn everybody. Better be safe then sorry.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1228284)   #18
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich R
is that one for each person in the car or just one per car?
Don't know really. I'll ask my friend!
Old 17 Feb 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1228340)   #19
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard about the jacket and now carry one - as an aside here are their speed camera details

this official site lists all their various cameras and their locations so you can’t say you have not been warned :

http://www.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/...s/csa/csa.html
Old 17 Feb 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1228342)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
And.....the bloody French confiscate your Road Angel if they catch you with one in the car, whether it's connected or not!
Old 17 Feb 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1228656)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i spent about a week and a half in europe last year, and i've got to admit, we didn't have a gb sticker on the car, or a warning triangle. i think i had a tool kit, but no spare bulbs or anything... i had a european aa card instead

the french are actually targeting their own kind speeding wise as well. if you drive around the south now, not even the french will do over 130kmh. there's stupidly high fines, and it's not worth the risk.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1228684)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have to say, the road back to Calais is notorious. There's just no point in speeding because the patrols are as certain as death and taxes.

I have to admit to a certain wry amusement two years ago when an Ultima passed me at about 130mph outside Abbeville and was next seen with two Renault-fuls of Gendarmerie surrounding it at the next peage.

I have to admit to being puzzled about that HiVis vest issue. I can't find any information on it at all. But I did find a stipulation that a UK licence has to be carried when driving in France (no problem there - I always do) but that an old, green one won't do. It has to be the pink one or a photo version. Well, some of us have had no reason to change licences since the design changed. International Driving Permit this summer, methinks.

Incidentally, I've been driving in France six years now and only just discovered what the little orangey-yellow diamonds on sticks mean. Before I say (because it shocked me what I didn't know) anyone else been curious about those?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1228698)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The new licences have been around a good few years now. You must have moved house since then?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1228771)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drive in another country, abide by their rules.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1228828)   #25
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
Incidentally, I've been driving in France six years now and only just discovered what the little orangey-yellow diamonds on sticks mean. Before I say (because it shocked me what I didn't know) anyone else been curious about those?

Do tell please, its sooooo anoying when you don't know!!!