Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Feb 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1229074)   #26
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
God I must be sad, I carry a high viz vest in my car at all times and spare bulbs and a first aid kit!

Last edited by Piglet; 18 Feb 2005 at 08:27.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1229078)   #27
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is an odd one, hi-vis vests are a common sense thing to take in a car, so why do they feel the need to make it a law? It's like they're saying their drivers have no common sen.....oh yeah!!!!

Saying that, isn't it still law in the UK that taxi's must carry a bale of hay? Personally i don't mind sticking to other peoples rules if they make sense, but the speed camera thing is a real sticking point with me. A lot of them i've seen are in pretty dangerous pieces of road and to me make sense that they are there, but one on the outskirts of Preston is a joke. It's a straight piece of road (duel carriageway) with no junctions or turns for about 0.5miles, yet they slap a camera right there. I can't remember one accident ever happening there, it's just a cash machine...

Whilst we're on the topic, what other odd laws are there in mainland Europe that we should know about? Just in case i get adventurous and make my way to le mans thiis year.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1229123)   #28
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some other laws:
- speedlimits obviously and foreign drivers have to pay the fine on the spot. Luckily they accept major creditcards. I know by know!
tip: in belgium and holland you get filmed from the back, in germany from the front. All have a tendancy to hide their cameras in the most difficult places, even in bins.
- snowchains in Switserland and Austria in wintertime.
- first aid kits in almost every country
- warning triangle (belgium)
Could go on, but by then our cars look like trucks
Old 18 Feb 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1229183)   #29
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isnt' there one country where you are supposed to carry 2 warning triangles - Spain or Portugal spring to mind?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1229190)   #30
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God, I hope not!
Will try to find out.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1229243)   #31
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Isnt' there one country where you are supposed to carry 2 warning triangles - Spain or Portugal spring to mind?

I believe that's Spain. They demand HiViz jackets as well

Last edited by Daimlerman; 18 Feb 2005 at 11:46.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1229245)   #32
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
France if you are towing a trailor or caravan you have to have two warning triangles.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1229251)   #33
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
They put in all these asinine regulations yet their accident casualty rate is far higher than here.

I question how bona fide many of these things are.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1229254)   #34
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
Incidentally, I've been driving in France six years now and only just discovered what the little orangey-yellow diamonds on sticks mean. Before I say (because it shocked me what I didn't know) anyone else been curious about those?
Is this ever going to be answered????
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1229257)   #35
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, it means the cheap skates can't afford flowers for the side of the rod so they stick nice sparkly things there in stead. Very tasteful
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1229260)   #36
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Is this ever going to be answered????
Okay, here goes - I'm a little spooked that it's not just me that didn't know this one though.

Basically, a little yellow diamond near a junction means you're entering a zone where your main road has priority over the side-road. Remember the old "priorite a droite" which always used to catch people out, where the traffic emerging from the lesser road has right of way over the stuff on the main road?

So the little yellow diamonds are the sign which tell you you have right of way. But a diamond with a line through it means that priority ends and that you've to be cautious of emerging traffic from the side. Now, as yet, the scariest moment I've ever had over switched priorities was when I braked before emerging onto an N-route from a junction and the Frenchman behind didn't expect me to, but you can see how the risk is there for unsuspecting Brits whizzing along the N138 or something.

Fab, if I've got my interpretation of that system wrong, do please offer clarification!

Incidentally, K-B, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about observing their rules. The trick is in being appraised of what the rules are in the first place!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1229279)   #37
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Well TimD, you are right. Now I know which diamonds you mean (you caused me some brain damage trying to think of what you meant) (on the other hand I haven't got a brain), we have them as well in Belgium. Doh!
And you are right: a non crossed diamond means you have right of way (main road), a crossed one means your right of way ended.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1229411)   #38
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
God I must be sad, I carry a high viz vest in my car at all times and spare bulbs and a first aid kit!
SO what about the fire extinguisher? Sorry you wouldn’t be able to get the tag off!!!!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1229697)   #39
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you know that if you are driving along a jungle road in Africa and you come upon a line of banana leaves laid across the road just befor a bend,slow down because just round the bend will be a bloody great truck broken down,just to keep thing simple and in perspective!
Old 19 Feb 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1229961)   #40
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
Basically, a little yellow diamond near a junction means you're entering a zone where your main road has priority over the side-road.
'Passage protegé', they call it!

Next question: how do you know where the 50km/h speed limit starts & ends when driving through a small town or village?
Old 19 Feb 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1230015)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All too bloody complicated for me - I'll let someone else drive, methinks.......
Old 19 Feb 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1230038)   #42
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had a look at the Foreign Office website.

Nothing about Hi-Viz stuff, but warnings about speed radar detectors etc!
Old 19 Feb 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1230312)   #43
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm
the use of Hi-Vis vests is compulsory onlt in Spain & Italy at present but is expected to apply to the whole of the EU soon.

Also, vests are required for every potential passenger!
Old 7 Jan 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2101341)   #44
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety alert

Sorry about delay replying - been trawling through past threads before posting!

There are 45 major differences in the road laws between member states in the EU and people are just not aware of them.

To obtain a free copy of GEM's driving in Europe booklet call 01342 825676 or visit www.motoringassist.com

Hopefully that will help to keep us all on the right side of the law and not aid the coffers of the country we visit.

Happy and safe driving!

Last edited by LYNX; 7 Jan 2008 at 18:22.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2101525)   #45
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
french junctions - priority to the right etc.. just be a bit cautious and you'll get the hang of it - driving over the water isn't too bad but just go a bit slower and think a bit more, especially when turning right - make sure you turn onto the right side of the road
Old 8 Jan 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2101568)   #46
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The hire car firms in this part don't supply hi viz jackets, and the law seem to use their loaf, also I haven't heard of any short term tourist being clobbered for it.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2101697)   #47
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
french junctions - priority to the right etc.. just be a bit cautious and you'll get the hang of it - driving over the water isn't too bad but just go a bit slower and think a bit more, especially when turning right - make sure you turn onto the right side of the road
Take care when exiting garages and restaurants as brain may not engage and you find yourself on the wrong side of the road. Even in Hampshire I commonly see and hear of people driving the wrong way around a roundabout and they're driving UK reg cars!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2101718)   #48
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Priority at French road junctions is relatively simple to understand. If the junction sign is an X (ie multiplying) sign it means traffic from the the right has priority. A + sign means the main road has priority.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2101726)   #49
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
What happens if the sign says + but it is bent at a 45 degree angle?
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2101813)   #50
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
What happens if the sign says + but it is bent at a 45 degree angle?
Stop, get out of your car, and go and see if the people in the car that has hit the sign need any help?