Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Nov 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2584223)   #1
Patrick H
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
Patrick H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Van Diemen RF86 & HANS

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of help regarding the above. I bought a HANS device recently and I tried it in the car (not whilst driving it I have to add) this weekend.

It all felt comfortable enough - I've got 3" wide Willans harnesses and the shoulder belts are bolted to what (I think) are the standard points behind the seat. Although the HANS felt well positioned, it didn't perhaps feel as snug as I'd thought.

I've since read on a couple of other websites that the correct mounting for the HANS to be most effective should me the belts and mounting points converging slightly behind your head, which I don't think mine do.

So question is...has anyone with an VD RF86 got a HANS and have you had to fiddle about with the belt set up? (my belts expire in 2011 so will change them for more narrrow ones then anyway but I'd be interested to know the score with the mountings).

Cheers,

Patrick.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2584329)   #2
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a chap with that combination, I will try and get his email address for you.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2584940)   #3
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jen-MSAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Patrick,

If you can take a couple of photos of you in the car with the HANS on and belts over I will be able to tell if you have the correct set up. I work as the UK agent for Schroth Racing. When wearing a HANS device your harnesses need to converge behind your neck. The position of the adjuster on the harness also needs to sit in the correct place (on the bottom of the HANS and up to 7cm from the bottom of the HANS upwards, but no closer than that to your neck and not under the HANS on your body.) You may find that you need to adjust your mounting points for the harnesses on the car chassis and you will need wrap fitting shoulder harnesses.

Here are a few diagrams/pictures to help demonstrate what I mean:

Hope this helps.

There is more information about HANS and fitting on our website:

www.msar-safety.com

this is a link to the FIA HANS user guide.
http://www.msar-safety.com/download/HANS_Guide.pdf

Thanks

Jen
Old 23 Nov 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2587793)   #4
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I run a VD86 and use a HaNS device in NWFF as do at least two others. I don't think any of us have made any changes to the mounting points - I haven't. I use specific HaNS seat belts as I needed to replace them but the other two use standard ones. I hope this helps? PM me if you need anything else.
Regards
Mike
Old 23 Nov 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2587907)   #5
John Wilkinson
Rookie

John Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I am one of the others that ran a RF86 with a HANS device in the North West Championship. I used the 3" belts as they had a number of years left before needing to be changed although I accept that this is not ideal. I did not change the mounting points and had no problems from day one as long as the belts were carefully position when being tightened. I normally had someone literally holding them in place across the HANS device until pulled tight. If this was not done they tended to slip over the edge of the HANS device but once tight there were no problems at all
Old 23 Nov 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2587949)   #6
flatbroke
Racer

flatbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lots of F1 drivers use a double belt on the shoulder
Old 24 Nov 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2588419)   #7
Patrick H
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
Patrick H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the replies all.

Jen - I will get some piccies done when I'm next with the car and if you can let me know what you think of the belt set up that would be great.