Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Oct 2016, 05:46 (Ref:3681547)   #7326
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Thomas Kraemer (Head of LMP engine design) , all areas of the 2017 car will be improved ...but especially the aero and the power-train. According to him, there are lots of good ideas and they expect the car to be very quick.
I suppose the real question is will it be quick enough to hold off the Audi and the Toyota.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3681587)   #7327
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully not again, for good god's sake! hahaha!
Old 23 Oct 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3682277)   #7328
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That should not be a problem if you still have Mako - Bamber or Tandy - Christensen - Estre - Lietz - Long - Henzler - ... on your payroll.

If needed they can promote one of their junior drivers (e.g. Müller?) or one of the many Supercup or Carrera Cup talents to the GT squad.
Not to mention there is going to be some serious talent on the market is the Audi program dissolves. They are already on the VAG payroll as well.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3682411)   #7329
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Not to mention there is going to be some serious talent on the market is the Audi program dissolves. They are already on the VAG payroll as well.
Indeed, and it may be one of the reasons Porsche have not yet nominated a dedicated Technical Director. However, and if truth be told, I'm having a very hard time believing that the Audi program will dissolve (although it all seems logical).
Old 24 Oct 2016, 09:48 (Ref:3682432)   #7330
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm having a very hard time believing that the Audi program will dissolve (although it all seems logical).
I can't see that happening either.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3682493)   #7331
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed, and it may be one of the reasons Porsche have not yet nominated a dedicated Technical Director. However, and if truth be told, I'm having a very hard time believing that the Audi program will dissolve (although it all seems logical).
I think I am in the opposite boat. With the direction of VAG, their lawsuits, and diesel technology now seems like the obvious time for Audi to exit stage left. Perhaps they will downsize to GTE, though there have been rumors that this is the last R8.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3682499)   #7332
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I think I am in the opposite boat. With the direction of VAG, their lawsuits, and diesel technology now seems like the obvious time for Audi to exit stage left. Perhaps they will downsize to GTE, though there have been rumors that this is the last R8.
Yes, it all makes sense and you are most likely correct. I just cant wrap my head around it yet. I guess I'm still at the "seeing is believing" stage.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3682936)   #7333
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But ex-Audi Pros in a Porsche, does this seem likely PR - wise?
Now that they are on the market indeed...
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3682940)   #7334
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure what Porsche would gain from any of the current Audi drivers that they don't already have in their current line-up.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3682996)   #7335
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
I think most of them will be going to FE to be honest, apart from Rast (DTM) and some of the GT3 regulars (Vanthoor, Mies, etc.)

Porsche aren't in need of extra drivers as Audi were at the turn of the decade, and they've got a big enough stable of their own to promote from within.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3683083)   #7336
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
I was thinking more on the technical side.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3683094)   #7337
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I was thinking more on the technical side.
The press release read more towards the LMP1 team personnel being kept on board, but moved either to DTM or the Formula E team.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3683104)   #7338
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
The press release read more towards the LMP1 team personnel being kept on board, but moved either to DTM or the Formula E team.
Yes, I know, but there might be those that wish to move on.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3683145)   #7339
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I doubt you need as much staff to operate and design (what design?) a FE car than an LMP1 Audi.

The Abt team was already in place last year (and the year before), so maybe not in desperate need of staff anyway.
Ditto for the DTM teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if some were to turn up at Porsche (or even Toyota)
Old 26 Oct 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3683149)   #7340
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with the points in the handful of posts above, Kudos to Audi for not making the staff redundant, but... for some individuals the new positions may not be viewed as positive and may choose to work elsewhere. And the FE project (mostly spec?) likely does not need as large of a staff as the WEC project and DTM is already staffed? The pie just got smaller yet the overall staff is the same size. They may also expect it to be solved somewhat by natural attrition (people leaving to go elsewhere).

Ricahrd
Old 26 Oct 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3683150)   #7341
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Could some of the staff not be integrated back into the road car side of things? Putting aside any jokes about "road relevance," there may still be a lot to be gained from transferring the personnel as well as the tech back to the production cars, particularly for the systems (hybrid) engineers.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3683163)   #7342
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's not forget that this is the Porsche thread, not Audi
Old 27 Oct 2016, 01:07 (Ref:3683251)   #7343
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting from next year, I'm officially supporting Porsche. I hope both manufacturers bring three cars to Le Mans, so we can have a six car battle.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3683335)   #7344
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Could some of the staff not be integrated back into the road car side of things? Putting aside any jokes about "road relevance," there may still be a lot to be gained from transferring the personnel as well as the tech back to the production cars, particularly for the systems (hybrid) engineers.
production car politics/engineering is the 7 circles of hell for any motorsport engineer. Some will probably get picked off by Porsche, Toyota. Others by BMW Peugeot.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3683663)   #7345
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a third car is now viable or Audi's decision will have no effect on Porsche's programme? I'd be really disappointed if they don't bring three cars next year.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3684254)   #7346
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Whilst reading the Porsche PR for the build-up of the shanghai race, I came across an interesting turn of phrase: "We very much regret the loss of Audi as a great competitor from the 2017 WEC season on. Porsche will compete in the entire 2017 WEC season as planned." - No mention of 2018 and beyond. No mention of any further commitment.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...rid-13105.html
Old 31 Oct 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3684256)   #7347
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Whilst reading the Porsche PR for the build-up of the shanghai race, I came across an interesting turn of phrase: "We very much regret the loss of Audi as a great competitor from the 2017 WEC season on. Porsche will compete in the entire 2017 WEC season as planned." - No mention of 2018 and beyond. No mention of any further commitment.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...rid-13105.html
Maybe they are viewing 2018 as a given and are reaffirming their commitment to next year, in the light of Audi quitting?
Old 31 Oct 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3684258)   #7348
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe they are viewing 2018 as a given and are reaffirming their commitment to next year, in the light of Audi quitting?
Maybe, but right now I wouldn't bet on 2018 being a sure thing.

They may be leaving the door open and watching closely what happens over the winter (both in regulatory evolution and if other manufacturers are in the pipeline) before committing fully.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3684282)   #7349
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would they lay down their future plans in a PR piece for a race?

Since 2018 brings new rules they might still be looking to get the full picture and then approve the programme.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 05:21 (Ref:3684453)   #7350
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
Why would they lay down their future plans in a PR piece for a race?

Since 2018 brings new rules they might still be looking to get the full picture and then approve the programme.
They are the ones that brought up the future in their PR (about Shanghai), by stating specifically that they would be around for the entire 2017. They did not choose to use language such as "future", " Foreseeable future", or any other language that would/could lead one to think that they are in it for the long haul. They specified a time period.

Furthermore - I think that there is a veiled warning to the regulators in their next sentence : " So far Porsche has derived a huge benefit in terms of knowledge and innovations for production cars from the LMP1 programme – this applies in particular to the 24-hour race at Le Mans. ".

I think they are saying that if the future rules are such that the technical gains are diminished (especially for Le Mans) , they will not be interested in continuing.

Last edited by Spyderman; 1 Nov 2016 at 05:32.