Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jan 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4094254)   #8826
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
lotterer has been a massive liability in formula e at increasingly frequent times too.

has estre run in prototypes before? obviously it's not really an issue in the slightest when you're just *that good*, just wondering.
Its interesting you mention this. After years of admiring Andre in sportscars, i was somewhat dissapointed with his driving in Formula E, im not sure why theres been such a shift in his driving
Old 18 Jan 2022, 12:04 (Ref:4094256)   #8827
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I think Jani will actually have an important role to play, albeit not necessarily in a factory seat. Who better to mentor Yifei Ye than a member of Ye's host family who also has significant LMP experience?
Good thinking!

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Estre and Vanthoor surely are in with a good chance?
Estre / Vanthoor / Cameron / Nasr / Mako are the most likely to me
I think I agree.

-

And of course, Bamber, Tandy and Hulkenberg have taught us that prototype experience is interesting but not completeely necessary
Old 18 Jan 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4094264)   #8828
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion to drive a lmp car is way easier and more enjoyable for top pro drivers than drive a GT
Old 18 Jan 2022, 13:03 (Ref:4094265)   #8829
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
never driven either, so i couldn’t possibly comment or pretend to know.

but if one’s easier to drive it means you have to be millimetre perfect to be quicker. which is harder to do. swings and roundabouts…
Old 18 Jan 2022, 18:51 (Ref:4094312)   #8830
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Harry Tincknell? He is under contract by Multimatic, maybe involved in the development of the Porsche and Audi Multimatic chassis?
Old 19 Jan 2022, 06:31 (Ref:4094350)   #8831
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
What about Harry Tincknell? He is under contract by Multimatic, maybe involved in the development of the Porsche and Audi Multimatic chassis?
Was thinking the same, even more so since he's playing obvious low-key about his plans.
With Pascal Zurlinden onboarding Multimatic at the same time I get some Porsche-contracts-and-later-takes-over-Manthey-vibes, but for prototypes this time.
Old 19 Jan 2022, 23:23 (Ref:4094483)   #8832
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve read in a few places Campbell and Jaminet have seats for LMDH
Old 19 Jan 2022, 23:42 (Ref:4094490)   #8833
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tincknell is multimatic factory driver and is managed by mcnish... if mcnish has still some active role in audi sport managment I think he could push tincknell to audi WEC program
Old 27 Jan 2022, 08:13 (Ref:4095477)   #8834
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A couple more pics of the car and confirmation of the engine configuration which is no real surprise.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...l-testing.html
Old 27 Jan 2022, 09:10 (Ref:4095484)   #8835
canaglia
Veteran

"by a production-based twin turbo V8 of as-yet unrevealed capacity"

what's the deal to keep secret displacement when it will be one of first things reported in bop bulletins...

Last edited by canaglia; 27 Jan 2022 at 09:38.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 10:49 (Ref:4095504)   #8836
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Releasing information slowly means getting more write ups in the media
Old 27 Jan 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4095510)   #8837
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
So basically, the Porsche, Audi, and future Lamborghini cars will essentially be the same car, using the same engine unit for all three brands. Fun....
Old 27 Jan 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4095516)   #8838
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
So basically, the Porsche, Audi, and future Lamborghini cars will essentially be the same car, using the same engine unit for all three brands. Fun....
Well, the shared multimatic+porsche platform for VW brands lmdhs was quite known from long time... it's still unclear if audi and lambo will have different bodywork or not.
Funny side of the matter is that V8 powering porsche lmdh should be a derivated unit of late '90s VW old V8, which production and FSI/turbo integration was up to audi for decades until few years ago when production of this V8 was tasked to porsche that used the platform for panamera, cayenne and lamborghini urus engines. Everything in family.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4095517)   #8839
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Well, the shared multimatic+porsche platform for VW brands lmdhs was quite known from long time... it's still unclear if audi and lambo will have different bodywork or not.
Funny side of the matter is that V8 powering porsche lmdh should be a derivated unit of late '90s VW old V8, which production and FSI/turbo integration was up to audi for decades until few years ago when production of this V8 was tasked to porsche that used the platform for panamera, cayenne and lamborghini urus engines. Everything in family.
Yeah I remember seeing at the beginning of this process they'd be sharing things, but to finally see it in more detail just makes me less interested in these cars than before. It won't really matter which car you root for, as all three will essentially be the same car.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 13:03 (Ref:4095520)   #8840
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I remember seeing at the beginning of this process they'd be sharing things, but to finally see it in more detail just makes me less interested in these cars than before. It won't really matter which car you root for, as all three will essentially be the same car.
Kinda of, I too think that VW lmhds in their concept are not that different than kit cars, but as wrote before, speaking about the V8 alone, that engine was already shared between audi, porsche and lamborghini (and bentley) road cars before being shared also in VW lmdhs.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 13:19 (Ref:4095521)   #8841
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You have literally just defined what brought manufacturer interest. That's the ENTIRE reason for the ruleset from the beginning.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 13:25 (Ref:4095522)   #8842
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
You have literally just defined what brought manufacturer interest. That's the ENTIRE reason for the ruleset from the beginning.
Which is why I've been a much bigger fan of LMH from the beginning; really nothing interesting about seeing kit cars race, versus the diversity we'll see with the LMH cars
Old 27 Jan 2022, 21:05 (Ref:4095588)   #8843
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And yet LMDH cars outnumber LMH cars by two to one. Not to mention that VAG are doing a less elaborate version of what Audi Sport used to do with their LMP cars, which is get a proprietary/quasi-proprietary design, have someone else build the chassis under license, and there you go. Big difference is that the Mulitimatic chassis will be used by 2-3 makes instead of just one and in theory should have a LMP2 version in a couple of years.

Not to mention that the much cherished Lola-Aston Martin was just a bone stock Lola LMP1 chassis with an AMR engine and gearbox shoe-horned into it and given proprietary bodywork. And the ganishing of teeth over the Toyota GR010 looking like an overgrown LMP1.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 23:14 (Ref:4095598)   #8844
canaglia
Veteran

Yeah always said that lola-aston in its concept was the first dpi ante litteram.
Anyway guess there is a little difference, audi lmp1 cars were designed by audi sport and third parties like dallara and ycom were hired only to produce carbon tubs probably because audi hadn't knowledge and tools to produce composite parts since audi never made road carbon tub cars.
Porsche lmdh is different because multimatic probably did most of design of the car, as they already did with ford gt, both race and road car.
Audi and probably lamborghini will get their more or less bodywork customized cars just to let VW promoting their brands for "cheap".
Anyway I always have my concerns about 2023/2024 WEC performances...
LMH and lmdh are cars that should be equally heavy and equally aero efficient, but LMH are AWD and have 700hp all the time, lmdh RWD and 640hp + short ERS boost releases.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 02:02 (Ref:4095615)   #8845
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
An important distinction is that Lola-Aston had an Aston V12 and nothing else did. The Bentley Speed 8 had its distinct chassis.
Meanwhile the VW triplets are set to share everything and will only differ in styling cues. To boot, they're powered by an SUV-sourced engine, that being TT V8 – the most common and most boring-sounding configuration imaginable, or second most boring after i4 turbo.

Honestly, if someone said, you can have these 3 VW brands in LMDh or just the Porsche LMH powered by a flat-6 (still with customer cars), I'd pick the latter, rather than pretending that it matters which set of stickers wins the race.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 28 Jan 2022 at 02:08.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 02:06 (Ref:4095618)   #8846
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Flat 6 was never going to be the option so wishing for it wouldn't get you anywhere. Your options were this or Porsche in Formula E only, that's it.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 16:49 (Ref:4095719)   #8847
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Flat 6 was never going to be the option so wishing for it wouldn't get you anywhere. Your options were this or Porsche in Formula E only, that's it.
They never ask me anyway so I can wish whatever I want knowing it won't happen either way.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 16:59 (Ref:4095721)   #8848
canaglia
Veteran

a flat6 is basically a 180 degrees V engine, I think it's almost impossible to fit one in a lmp-style prototype without big reworking of rear subframes and as consequence suspensions etc... Not to mention that to reach >600hp would be required a turbo flat6 making everything more unrealistic. As far I remember, last prototype using a flat6 was flying lizard riley DP back in 2011
Old 28 Jan 2022, 17:38 (Ref:4095730)   #8849
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
a flat6 is basically a 180 degrees V engine, I think it's almost impossible to fit one in a lmp-style prototype without big reworking of rear subframes and as consequence suspensions etc... Not to mention that to reach >600hp would be required a turbo flat6 making everything more unrealistic. As far I remember, last prototype using a flat6 was flying lizard riley DP back in 2011

There's a bit more to it than that. Flat engines have a lower centre of mass, resulting in better balance and handling than V engines. Also there is less vibration.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 17:59 (Ref:4095733)   #8850
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's a bit more to it than that. Flat engines have a lower centre of mass, resulting in better balance and handling than V engines. Also there is less vibration.

Sure, flat engines have lower centre of mass because their block have a shorter height and most of parts are distributed horizontally rather than vertically as V layout engines. Biggest problem is that flat engines are insanely wide which is a big handicap considering racing engines aim to be as more compact as possible. Flat/Boxer/V180^ engines have almost disappeared from street cars, are used in porsche and subaru mainly as a heritage trademark than else. Funny side of the matter is that everyone usually relates flat engines to porsche, when flat engines were actually commonly used by ferrari as well.