Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 May 2003, 21:26 (Ref:602105)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thoughts on Euro GT

I was thinking, now FIA GT looks like it will have factory teams for 2004 it means that the series will be more than fully subscribed, and some of the current teams will have to no doubt be turned away.

What are the chances of Euro GT getting the left overs so to speak of the FIA GT series? They run the same regulations after all. And Im sure this would work, ud probably get a couple of Ferrari 550s, a few more Vipers in the GT class and in NGT maybe a few Ferrari 360s and Porsches.

So in effect the Euro GT series would be a feeder series for FIA GT, better to have the other top teams in one single championship than national series if u ask me. Money would be a bit of a issue id imagine yes, but it could work. And the Euro GT series machines could also still run Spa 24hrs, after all the race allows up to 68 cars in the race (I just checked), a current FIA GT grid is 38 cars..
Old 18 May 2003, 22:55 (Ref:602992)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Bravo! Exactly what we need. With the FIA series growing ever more popular, inevitably some kind of feeder series will be needed. Euro GT seems obvious...

Saleen, are you reading my mind..?
Old 19 May 2003, 02:47 (Ref:603050)   #3
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont car as long as cor and the marcos are winning
Old 19 May 2003, 13:21 (Ref:603518)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Bravo! Exactly what we need. With the FIA series growing ever more popular, inevitably some kind of feeder series will be needed. Euro GT seems obvious...

Saleen, are you reading my mind..?
I dunno, but u know the saying. Great minds think alike It certainly would make sense woudnt it. Another thing that does concern me is everyone is saying now that the Proton Porsche GT2 has stopped running (maybe) there are no Porsches running Internationally. Well there are, theres the cars in Euro GT. And ok I know thats not International, its European, but then u can say the same about the Proton, as FIA GT is just European also..
Old 19 May 2003, 17:15 (Ref:603745)   #5
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Euro GTs and the FIASCC are joining forces for 4 races this season including the Spa 1000kms
Old 19 May 2003, 17:46 (Ref:603760)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes I know, and thats very good. But I was thinking more long term than that Graham. If the FIA SCC and Euro GT merging was to be a permenant arrangement though perhaps the FIA SCC woudnt fold as soon as the Le Mans tournament begun. Unlikely but it could happen.

What I meant was is assuming the FIA SCC and Euro GT split and go differnt ways at the end of the year and are 2 seperate championships once again then perhaps would be the time to think about what I said intially and effectivly turn the Euro GT series into the feeder for FIA GT, woudnt neccacirly be a feeder series by name, but it could be in reality. Am I making sense?
Old 19 May 2003, 18:42 (Ref:603796)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
As I see it, Euro GT as a feeder category for the FIA GT series could work two ways; firstly, it could allow FIA aspirants from other series to get some experience running in Europe without the harsh competitiveness of the FIA series, and it could also allow an arena for teams with funding but older cars (e.g. Proton Competition). So, if I were running a squad in the FFSA GT series, and wanted to expand, I could have a two-part plan whereby I would run in Euro GTs for a year, pick up some silverware and perhaps do a couple of FIA races, then step up to the full FIA GT Championship in year two. Make sense?
Old 19 May 2003, 18:57 (Ref:603816)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes, but it woudnt just have to be a stepping stone. The FIA GT series this year had to deny entrants for FIA GT this year as their were too many people trying to join (right?) well when 2004 comes around Ratel will have to axe a few teams if the factory teams can enter. We will then have what? 12 cars? leaving the championship and nowhere solid left to go (apart from Belcar and national gt series) so why not move to Euro GT?

FIA GT is at a stage now where its reached its peak in terms of entrants, and from 2004 will be even more over subscribed, so I think that this could and would work. Sure the series could act as a stepping stone also to the FIA GT series, but some teams may be happy to stay there. It woudnt be as good as FIA GT obviously, but I bet u it would be well worth watching.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:44 (Ref:604742)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so how many enduro/GT championshps are there in europe? 5 or 6?
North america has what GA and ALMS, a couple of club enduros, I think they need to trim back...although Euro GT races have been pretty good if i recall
Old 20 May 2003, 13:48 (Ref:604753)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Well personally id say theres 4 European championships in Europe, FIA GT, Euro GT, Belcar, and FIA SCC (but thats differnt it isnt GT obviously). I dont think that we need to trim back at all, if anything we are over subscribed, theres lots of teams at the moment and none of the series are struggling for grids barring FIA SCC. And that should be fixed later on in the year if u ask me, when they team up with Euro GT.
Old 20 May 2003, 17:25 (Ref:605052)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Well personally id say theres 4 European championships in Europe, FIA GT, Euro GT, Belcar, and FIA SCC (but thats differnt it isnt GT obviously). I dont think that we need to trim back at all, if anything we are over subscribed, theres lots of teams at the moment and none of the series are struggling for grids barring FIA SCC. And that should be fixed later on in the year if u ask me, when they team up with Euro GT.
Don't forget French and Spanish GT championship.

I think the quality of Euro GT is lower than in Belcar, French GT championship and Spanish championship. Euro GT is struggling to survive.

Last edited by FIRE; 20 May 2003 at 17:28.
Old 20 May 2003, 17:35 (Ref:605071)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
No I didnt include National GT series. If I did, I would have included British GT in there as well. When I said 4 European championships I meant 4 championships that run across Europe. As for the quality of Euro GT being lower than Belcar, yeah maybe. But not when they team up with the FIA SCC.
Old 20 May 2003, 17:49 (Ref:605093)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing as Ratel, a shareholder and 'boss' of the FIA SCC, is heavily involved in the new Le Mans Tournament I'm pretty confident the FIA SCC will end come the end of this season.

As the Le Mans Tournament is only 4 or 5 races it is likely to attract some top FIA GT teams duvtailing an LMT and FIA GT programme and some Euro/Brtish GT etc. teams wanting to compete in the longer 4 hour races.

Euro GT has always been an unoficial series for ex-FIA GT cars/teams. I think most teams who cannot get into FIA GT will compete in their national series and maybe the odd LMT/ALMS/Belcar events.
Old 21 May 2003, 12:38 (Ref:605824)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Ratel is "heavily" involved in the Le Mans Tournament?
Old 21 May 2003, 17:16 (Ref:606103)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
No I didnt include National GT series. If I did, I would have included British GT in there as well. When I said 4 European championships I meant 4 championships that run across Europe. As for the quality of Euro GT being lower than Belcar, yeah maybe. But not when they team up with the FIA SCC.
Belcar only runs in Belgium and is therefore a national series - albeit a very good one
Old 21 May 2003, 17:37 (Ref:606114)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Indeed, Belcar is also a national series but has Dutch and French entries.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:23 (Ref:606142)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think even the organisers themselves have no idea why the entries in EuroGT have taken such a dip this year.
Old 21 May 2003, 20:41 (Ref:606272)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
...Ratel is "heavily" involved in the Le Mans Tournament?
Well he's organising the end of year LMT race as a precurser to the 2004 series and has been involved in the discussions for the 2004 LMT series.

He's openly stated before these talks his willingness to join with the ACOs LMT series.