Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Jul 2001, 17:30 (Ref:113776)   #1
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Yoong press release

MUGELLO, ITALY, JULY 5, 2001 European Minardi F1 brought weeks of speculation in the Formula One world to a pleasing conclusion this afternoon when Alex Yoong was strapped into one of the team's current PS01 chassis and, in late afternoon summer sunshine, experienced his first taste of Formula One power, completing 20 laps around the twists and turns of the demanding Mugello circuit, near Florence. The 24-year-old, from Kuala Lumpur, is scheduled to continue testing for the Faenza-based Grand Prix team tomorrow.
Today's event marks the culmination of a seven-year programme that has seen Yoong rise through the single-seater racing ranks, starting with Formula Asia and continuing through Formula Renault, Formula Three, Formula 3000 and Formula Nippon, before stepping into a Formula One car. The test also assures him of a place in the motor racing history books as the first Malaysian to drive a Grand Prix car.
The car is just fantastic, he commented at the end of today's test programme. The carbon brakes and the downforce are the two things that immediately get your attention they are just incredible! The power delivery was very nice and not a problem to acclimatise to. This afternoon's laps were really intended to allow me to learn the circuit and get used to left-foot braking. It's the first time I've used this technique, and it feels quite alien at the moment, but with a lot more laps tomorrow, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
I really enjoyed today's experience and I can't wait to get back in the car again and do as many miles of driving as possible. It is a great opportunity and I intend to take full advantage of it, both for myself and also for the Magnum Corporation, which has generously supported me in this Formula One programme.
European Minardi F1 Team Principal, Paul Stoddart, praised the young Malaysian's driving at the conclusion of today's test session. Alex has done exactly what we asked of him and seems to be getting to grips with Formula One performance with considerable confidence. He did 20 laps this afternoon, primarily to familiarise himself with the Mugello circuit and to get used to the controls of the car, which are different from anything he has encountered to date. Tomorrow, the plan is that he will drive for another 50 to 60 laps, by which time he will have completed a full Grand Prix distance. We're very pleased with his progress.
Old 8 Jul 2001, 11:42 (Ref:114352)   #2
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong

I don't understand why some people are happy that Yoong maybe replaces Marques. Yoong comes only because his has money, not because he is that better. Alonso is absolutely a better driver that Marques, no doubt, but I think Marques is a better driver that Yoong. I hope Marques will stay, and replaced by Tomas Enge (if he is not going to Arrows) next year, he has talent and sponsors.
Old 8 Jul 2001, 15:19 (Ref:114429)   #3
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personnally I don'nt know Yoong, except for a few headlines on the internet pushing for him because they say he his a great driver.

All I know is that a lot of people see him getting his chance in F1.

As for Tarso Marques, I was not impressed by him in Montreal, except maybe for the fact that he made it to F1.

Fernando Alonso on the other hand did impressed me, beating the time of his more experience partner. Promising young driver!
Old 8 Jul 2001, 16:20 (Ref:114438)   #4
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daisy...in his test at Mugello, his time was about half a second faster than Marques. While this doesn't seem like too much, keep in mind this was the first time he'd ever driven in an F1 car, as well as the very first time he'd ever used left foot braking. While he may not be Alonso material, and he'll still end up dead last on the grid, he won't be the moving chicane that Marques was.
Old 8 Jul 2001, 22:38 (Ref:114557)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never really thought Marques was all that bad, actually. I just think it's Alonso being exceptional that makes Tarso look like a mobile chicane. It'll be interesting to see whether or not Yoong does better than Tarso, but good luck to him.
Old 9 Jul 2001, 15:30 (Ref:114846)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what r said.

if he does better than marques, well, give that boy a medal. however, i resent the way he has got into testing. there are many others who deserve the drive more, blah, blah.
Old 9 Jul 2001, 23:28 (Ref:115021)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the point it is there are many others who deserve the drive...