Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: What is your favourite track?
Adelaide 1 5.56%
Canberra 1 5.56%
Bathurst 11 61.11%
Lakeside 1 5.56%
Qld Raceway 1 5.56%
Sandown 0 0%
Calder Park 0 0%
Oran Park 1 5.56%
Barbagallo 0 0%
Other (Please specify!) 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Jul 2001, 03:12 (Ref:114608)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your favourite track?

What is your favourite Australian track? My favourites are Lakeside, Bathurst, and Sandown.

Lakeside, because of sweeping layout, Sandown because it is fast, and Bathurst, quite simply because it is brilliant.
Old 9 Jul 2001, 08:42 (Ref:114665)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst of course is my favourite track.

Oran Park is my second favourite...it's only 1/2 an hour drive from here and I just love the place...great track.

There was also an interesting article on Speedweek on SBS last Sunday showing off the new 2 million dollar pit building.
Old 9 Jul 2001, 22:07 (Ref:114999)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You have to say Bathurst, but hey, there aren't too many bad circuits out there...I guess I do have a soft spot for Lakeside and QR because I basically live out there..
Old 10 Jul 2001, 02:24 (Ref:115086)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Crash - there aren't too many bad circuits, but there aren't too many wonderful circuits.

I voted Bathurst. But Phillip Island and Oran Park are also up there. Oran Park is about half an hour from my place and is the only one I've driven on.

Oh, and the fifty or so tracks I've drawn myself, just for fun. Yeah that's right - I don't have much of a life.

Last edited by mac; 10 Jul 2001 at 02:24.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 03:29 (Ref:115100)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for Bathurst, of course. It is easily the greatest track in the southern hemisphere.

I also love Lakeside, but parts of it do worry me a little.

QR is the most boring road circuit in the world, though the facilities are good.

I like Oran Park, very challenging and exciting, but most corners can do you real harm if you get it wrong.

I like Eastern Creek, it has length, variety and excellent facilities. It's very safe too.

I haven't driven on any circuits in Victoria, so I can't really comment on them. Except to say that Winton looks ordinary and Calder looks boring, but Phillip Island looks great.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 05:09 (Ref:115110)   #6
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Philip Island, really fast and flowing.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 10:22 (Ref:115165)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is which circuit is our favourite... right?

Lobethal, beyond question the best there has ever been in Australia, and very hard to match in the world, but it's from a different, sadly departed world, of course...

Bathurst is the best of the present ones, with Phillip Island next and then Lakeside, in my view... and of all those posting here I doubt there is anyone who has seen as many of those existing at them moment, nor possibly those that have ever been...

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I like Oran Park, very challenging and exciting, but most corners can do you real harm if you get it wrong.

I like Eastern Creek, it has length, variety and excellent facilities. It's very safe too.

I haven't driven on any circuits in Victoria, so I can't really comment on them. Except to say that Winton looks ordinary and Calder looks boring, but Phillip Island looks great.
I'd like to comment on these observations, as they are quite valid. First Oran Park...

David, for years Oran Park was regarded as very safe, but you are quite correct in saying it poses dangers... it has killed more than any other Australian circuit, I'm sure you'll find, and killed more than a few because of apparent safety that wasn't really there..

Eastern Creek... very much maligned, but yes, sweeping corners and a bit of length make it a good circuit.

Winton... a lot of fun, far from boring, except the extension, of course, which promised much and delivered worse than what was there... the sweeper in the middle is a real ballsy corner!

Calder is a lot less boring than it used to be... does that make you feel better?

Phillip Island is the longest circuit ever built on private land in this country, it was three whole miles, is a little less now. Very good to drive on, has some interesting 'right' lines when you get to know it.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 10:35 (Ref:115169)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote for the best track goes to Amaroo Park. Having raced on it it was the one track that you really felt good if you got right and it is no where near as boring as Oran Park. But also believe that these temp Cochrane tracks dont rate a mention.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 11:31 (Ref:115206)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bathurst would be at the top of my list followed by Phillip Island (wouldn't have been second until I actually went there, Doohan Corner (turn 1) almost blew me away the V8Supercars went through there...can't help it, I like watching the fast sweepers. Oran Park third I think.

Wakefield Park should rate a mention as one of, if not the best club circuit. Challenging layout and run off most of the way around.

Eastern Creek is better than people say too. It's a lot harder than it looks to a spectator.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 11:45 (Ref:115218)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a very hard question to answer, you should be able to vote more than once.

I would have to say that oran park is my favorite, probably because i raced there quite a few times and it is a great track to drive on. Lots of different corners and the walls make it a bit more challenging. I also had my best ever race there. A night time race in the rain. I usually finished somewhere around 15th in the races in my little mazda, but that night in the rain and dark i came 4th outright. Most of the other guys said they never wanted to drive on the road with me at night or in the rain after that .

Amaroo Park was also fun, but unfortunatley i only got to have two drives there.

Bathurst is also right up there in the list (especially as i live there )

Last edited by mtpanorama; 10 Jul 2001 at 11:47.
Old 10 Jul 2001, 16:22 (Ref:115294)   #11
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donnington Park UK!
Old 10 Jul 2001, 17:08 (Ref:115320)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well said vauxhall

I would have to say Bathurst is the best track ...any track that can scare the heck out of you driving around at 60kph in a road car gets my vote anyday

it is a hard one because most are pretty good..like Phillip island,Adelaide,and lakeside.

but winton would have to be one of my favs (yes thats right im on about the old ear again )

its fun allthough the facilities leave alot to be desired..and david im sure you would enjoy pounding your datto around it..and i will add that it come s up terrible on Tv to what it actually is..as do most tracks i would assume.

Ray I like the extension ..sure they could have done more with it but it has opened up at least 4 more overtaking chances (1 was there before of course the end of the straight) but its not bad..but its a heck of a walk around the thing now..and the pit complex is very good 100% better than what they had before.