Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Should female's be better catered for within the motorsport industry?
Yes 32 68.09%
No 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Sep 2006, 05:34 (Ref:1716876)   #26
Desert Rat
Rookie

New Zealand
Wanganui
Desert Rat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by Desert Rat; 23 Sep 2006 at 05:39.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 04:10 (Ref:1718072)   #27
krusty1
Rookie

krusty1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QUESTIONS
1. Have you attended any motorsport event within the past 12 months?
Yes, phillip Island 06 working for a team, sandown 06, but watch every event if I can't get there.

3. Have you noticed the "male" orientated sponsorship and marketing campaigns on and off the track?
Yes but as someone involved in marketing, I would have done exactly the same thing to start with. Now I think tho they need to get their act into gear and hve a look at some more mainstream products/companies being involved. My girlfriend said it best

"V8 Supercars are going to need to take a more of a Nascar approach if they want to continue to grow in Australia and over seas rounds. I believe we need to get more Retail / Wider range of sponsors other than trades to get in and sponsor teams, How many ppl that come to watch V8's own a Bob Cat? Not too many. How many though would Buy a Cadbury block of Chocolate? Or Uncle Toby's bars or any other famous supermarket brand that we all need etc..this would bring more of a diverse range of Public at events hence expanding audience and growing the sport. If you look at the HUGE buzz around Nascar it makes you think V8 Supercars are NOTHING compared to that, and how much money the drivers are paid, the popularity, the money spent on workshops etc... We have nothing on them so far..."

On Ya Pink Bits!!!!

4. Have you read a motorsport event program within the past 12 months?
Yes

5. Have you read a motorsport magazine (ie: Auto Action) within the past 12 months?
I buy AutoAction, V8X and otorsport news every issue!!

6. Are you interested in participating in motorsport?
Yes

7. If you answered yes to the above question, is there a main reason why you have not seeked to partake already?
Would love it but can't afford it. Keep doing things like the V8 drive days at calder to get my fix tho!!!

8. Do you believe that females should be represented stronger within the motorsport industry?
Yes, but to get there on their merrits and not given the position cos their are pretty or are requiring a female quota, there are so many women that gould be in there doing more within the teams than just the merchandise or are pit b**ches. I don't care if you are a size 2 lycra is noones friend!!! We need more women in there as sponsorship managers and commercial managers. Some tend to be able to think outside the square.

9. Do you believe that females play a strong part in the motorsport industry?
Not yet they don't. They play a part but not enough. I know of some who are starting to break down the barriers for the rest of us. Good on you girls!!!!

"If you really think about, in the great scheme of things all you do is manage to take this lump of steel around in a circle several times a day. You are not that special..." JC- I love it when she puts them back in their box!!!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1718329)   #28
pink_bits
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
pink_bits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great thread to start!!!!!

QUESTIONS
Too many to count. V8's, Rally, Formula Ford, Supersprints etc.....

2. If your answer to above was "No", please comment whether you would have attended if the event was a) closer, b) on a different date, c) cheaper to attend, d) other (please explain)
-

3. Have you noticed the "male" orientated sponsorship and marketing campaigns on and off the track?
Yes most definelty, but it has had to start there, see above post by Krusty. I think it will have to change though over time.

Yeah I always do. To keep up to date with the news and how friends are going etc.

5. Have you read a motorsport magazine (ie: Auto Action) within the past 12 months? Yes, I do read them all.

I do participate, have built my own car with help from my Dad, we race it in Tarmac rallies and supersprints. In the workshop at the moment though adding some more power. Whether it be On Track, selling Merchandise or PR I love all I do in the Motorsport world.

7. If you answered yes to the above question, is there a main reason why you have not seeked to partake already?
I do Partake! Love it!

8. Do you believe that females should be represented stronger within the motorsport industry?
Firstly, Females should be respected a lot more within the industry and not looked upon purely as to pleasure the eyes of the boys at the Track or off the track. So pit girls out there, common respect urselfs a little more! I dont just say this coz I'm jealous of the Pit Girls as they have good body's etc, coz without sounding big headed I think I'm pretty good looking and don't need to wear skimpy outfits, I would rather show my personality and love and knowledge of the sport.There are a lot of females out there that are just as capable of being in Sponsorship management roles, PR or even Team Managers. I think some of these boys (Certain drivers, Managers, team owners etc) Also need to get off their high horse and start respecting girls a little more on a general scale, coz coz u work in V8's don't mean you can treat girls the way some of you do!!!!!. Sorry getting a little off topic here.

They do not play a big part as yet, but I wish to one day change that!
Watch out boys! Im coming to take you away your spot light!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1719820)   #29
krusty1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinJ
From Polyheads long suffering Wife:

the race track is not the place to sell femine hygine products is it??
I agree,

I also agree that to some extent that it needs to stay a male domain, I mean really, there are only 30 odd drivers now, why would I want to further limit the number of hot racing boys that I want to perve on!!!!!

Agree Pink Bits?

Hey Pink Bits nice quote. Many many of these boys are not thinkers, they are drivers......

"If you really think about, in the great scheme of things all you do is manage to take this lump of steel around in a circle several times a day. You are not that special..." JC- I love it when she puts them back in their box!!!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1719823)   #30
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PMed you, meant to reply here - sorry!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1719829)   #31
pink_bits
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
[QUOTE=krusty1]I agree,

I also agree that to some extent that it needs to stay a male domain, I mean really, there are only 30 odd drivers now, why would I want to further limit the number of hot racing boys that I want to perve on!!!!!

Agree Pink Bits?

Hey Pink Bits nice quote. Many many of these boys are not thinkers, they are drivers......[/QUOTE

It's going to have to stay a mainly male domain as simply put, us females are sometimes too smart for their games they play!

And yes we do need to keep the boys steering these cars so us females have something to look at.... Krusty only let me perve next time..... hehehe...
No more boys with single beds ok!!!!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 00:19 (Ref:1719833)   #32
krusty1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_bits
And yes we do need to keep the boys steering these cars so us females have something to look at.... Krusty only let me perve next time..... hehehe...
No more boys with single beds ok!!!!

Ok no more pathetic racing boys with single beds and sorry did yu say you liked the Simpsons?????

Old 26 Sep 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1719866)   #33
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty1
My girlfriend said it best

"V8 Supercars are going to need to take a more of a Nascar approach if they want to continue to grow in Australia and over seas rounds. I believe we need to get more Retail / Wider range of sponsors other than trades to get in and sponsor teams, How many ppl that come to watch V8's own a Bob Cat? Not too many. How many though would Buy a Cadbury block of Chocolate? Or Uncle Toby's bars or any other famous supermarket brand that we all need etc..this would bring more of a diverse range of Public at events hence expanding audience and growing the sport. If you look at the HUGE buzz around Nascar it makes you think V8 Supercars are NOTHING compared to that, and how much money the drivers are paid, the popularity, the money spent on workshops etc... We have nothing on them so far..."

On Ya Pink Bits!!!!
What is so special about that? What do you think they've been trying to do? Its not just a matter of walking up to Cadbury or OMO and asking for money.

What about the Coca Cola commodores? 888 and Dominos? There have been plenty of big name sponsors over the years. What about V8 Supercars and Weetbix? It takes time to be able to approach sponsors like that. The series needs to be big enough to attract those kinds of sponsors.

AVESCO and the teams know how important it is to get big sponsors and greater coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty1
Hey Pink Bits nice quote. Many many of these boys are not thinkers, they are drivers......
What do you mean? The drivers aren't responsible for attracting sponsorship! Besides, the drivers themselves are generally very smart people.

I think there might be more females involved in motorsport than some think, both in PR/management type roles and driving roles!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 01:51 (Ref:1719885)   #34
pink_bits
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
[QUOTE=RotorFan]What is so special about that? What do you think they've been trying to do? Its not just a matter of walking up to Cadbury or OMO and asking for money.

Well no sh*t if it was that easy to get these sponsors every Tom dick and harry would be in the sport with money!

What about the Coca Cola commodores? 888 and Dominos? There have been plenty of big name sponsors over the years. What about V8 Supercars and Weetbix? It takes time to be able to approach sponsors like that. The series needs to be big enough to attract those kinds of sponsors.
Well they need to continue to build don't they? Ego driven males as spectators are not going to help the sport grow, we need more families and females there... hence variety of sponsorship...

AVESCO and the teams know how important it is to get big sponsors and greater coverage.

What do you mean? The drivers aren't responsible for attracting sponsorship! Besides, the drivers themselves are generally very smart people.
Like who? Some are very limited in the brain capacity...

I think there might be more females involved in motorsport than some think, both in PR/management type roles and driving roles!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1719898)   #35
krusty1
Rookie

[QUOTE=pink_bits]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
What is so special about that? What do you think they've been trying to do? Its not just a matter of walking up to Cadbury or OMO and asking for money.

Well no sh*t if it was that easy to get these sponsors every Tom dick and harry would be in the sport with money!

Well they need to continue to build don't they? Ego driven males as spectators are not going to help the sport grow, we need more families and females there... hence variety of sponsorship...

Like who? Some are very limited in the brain capacity...

At the end of the day V8 Supercars and Teams need to concentrate, as do most other sports and other MARKETING GREATS!, on the person in the mainstream house hold that spends the money and goes to the supermarket. who do you think would be the one that looks at Craig Lowndes's face on a pack of Special K's or Jason Bright on a packet of light globes, pardon the pun...

Lets face it it is all about making V8's a mainstream sport and something that is televised on mainstream timeslots and not pushed back to 10:30 on a saturday night when face it the majority of people are not looking at the telly.

If getting some mainstream sponsors on board to push the networks to make it a priority then it is best for everyone. Lets face it a company like Autobarn or Jeldwen don't have the advertising push with the networks like say Pacific Brands for example.

Old 26 Sep 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1719961)   #36
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A start for VE$A would be to enforce there 'family friendly'. After the fan fair in Sydney 2 years ago where they launch the series, they didn't really make it 'family friendly'.

I turned up to Sandown 500, and what do I see, on the big screen and in the paddock is T&A. And lets not talk about Indy as thats a lost cause and you could probably never change that. I'm waiting to see what they do once they go to Bahrain and what the do over there. If they bring there usual T&A show, say good bye to that round I say, just like China.

They want to attract some of more of these big sponsors, there going to have to prove they have an advertising environment where these sponsors will get a return on there input. You tell me you want to eat a block of Cadbury's on a Sunday afternoon whilst watching the races, or on a lazy Saturday night in-front of the TV watching a couple of movies.

They need to clean up there act, then they might see some changes in sponsors coming into the sport.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1719970)   #37
pink_bits
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
A start for VE$A would be to enforce there 'family friendly'. After the fan fair in Sydney 2 years ago where they launch the series, they didn't really make it 'family friendly'.

I turned up to Sandown 500, and what do I see, on the big screen and in the paddock is T&A. And lets not talk about Indy as thats a lost cause and you could probably never change that. I'm waiting to see what they do once they go to Bahrain and what the do over there. If they bring there usual T&A show, say good bye to that round I say, just like China.

They want to attract some of more of these big sponsors, there going to have to prove they have an advertising environment where these sponsors will get a return on there input. You tell me you want to eat a block of Cadbury's on a Sunday afternoon whilst watching the races, or on a lazy Saturday night in-front of the TV watching a couple of movies.

They need to clean up there act, then they might see some changes in sponsors coming into the sport.

So true!! Like your style... We really do not need T & A's shoved in our faces at every round. If they wanna see it go to Indy, and keep it at Indy for these T & A Hungry men!
Bring on Family Friendly enviroment to the track!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1720398)   #38
Shazza
Rookie

Argentina
Adelaide, Australia
Shazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry this is probably a bit too late!

Yes, lots, including speedway, drags, V8s, and other circuit racing events.

2. If your answer to above was "No", please comment whether you would have attended if the event was a) closer, b) on a different date, c) cheaper to attend, d) other (please explain)
N/A

Yes! I have no problem with grid/promotional girls per se, but the sheer number of them at every event makes me think lots of marketing people assume only men are interested in motorsport. Not all sponsors are male oriented though, there are lots of sponsors like Dominos, K-mart, WPS, Sirromet etc which are 'neutral'.

Yes

5. Have you read a motorsport magazine (ie: Auto Action) within the past 12 months?
Yes

Yes, and I do.

As above.

Yes, I would like to see more women racing, and the numbers seem to be on the increase.

Yes, there are lots of female team members in important roles in V8s teams, they just aren't as visible as the drivers.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1722689)   #39
DevilGirl
Rookie

Australia
London
DevilGirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Yes
3. Yes, but thats the nature and stereotype of the sport. Like Shazza, I have no problem with grid girls, but they are promoting a neutral product. It would be nice if there were more half naked men around promoting bartercard!! I also agree with more family orientated marketing.
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Hell yes
7. No real opportunity
8. yes
9. yes, but not on the front line, more in the background, in support roles
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1722707)   #40
DevilGirl
Rookie

Australia
London
DevilGirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamik gal
Yes, I imagine that Libra would not fit into the "On Track" Sell
I don't want to be seeing Libra ads when I'm at the races...I don't want to see Libra ads anytime to be honest! There are plenty of female orientated products without making everone cringe! Gillette advertises mens razors, why not ladies ones too?

If they want to make it mainstream, take a look at NASCAR, they have cars running around with washing powder adverts on them! I don't know if its just me but I know that if my favourite driver was being sponsored by a particular brand of washing powder, i'd be using that one! I drink Red Bull because of Marcos, and buy Duracell batteries over Energiser because of Rusty!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1724755)   #41
GoLowndes
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
GoLowndes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm new here, so here are my answers

Yes, Bathurst will be my 3rd V8 event, but I watch all the rounds I can't get to

N/A

Of course, but I kinda rationalise it by the fact that it's a male dominated sport, so I guess it's to be expected, though it can get a bit much at times.

Yes

Yes

Currently don't participate but always interested (not in a driving capacity because I know I'd suck at that!)

No idea where to start!!

Yes

Not really.

And on a final note, I don't go to the racing to check out the drivers, I'm there for the sport.