Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Aug 2000, 23:44 (Ref:30259)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

The speculation was that Jimmy definately would not be back with Ganassi next year but that was proven to be still just speculation since Jimmy said in an interview during the race that it was a possibility but he and Chip would sit down to discuss this next week.

Should Chip retain Jimmy? Should Jimmy stay with Ganassi and deal with what has proven to be an unreliable Toyota engine?

Personally myself, if Juan is going to be leaving to F1, I would retain Jimmy since he can mentor another young driver (if Chip goes after another one) and since he is a veteran that can provide good input on car set-ups. Sometimes I think Jimmy has let down Chip with his performances (especially last year) but at the same time, I think Chip has let down Jimmy a few times too.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 01:18 (Ref:30304)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the websites I checked this afternoon in a vain search for the post-race press conference said that the split had already been finalized. In fact, someone on one of them (a columnist) confirmed that Jimmy himself had told him so.

I expect Ganassi will hire another veteran (Zanardi, Herbert, Christian, Dario?) and partner him with a Brazilian to be named later.

Old 14 Aug 2000, 01:44 (Ref:30317)   #3
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Z going to any non Honda team

Michael Andretti back to TCGR?
Old 14 Aug 2000, 11:42 (Ref:30410)   #4
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great news that Vasser's off. I have never rating him at all. He is just lucky and doenst go hard on his equipmnet. His championship win in 1996 was made because he had a lot of luck. He only won 3 races, 1 less than Andretti and the same as Zanardi and hes last win was 4-5 months before the end of the season. Now Ganassi can have two racers instead of one and a points collector.

Old 14 Aug 2000, 11:44 (Ref:30412)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think Vasser will stay in CART or go to NASCAR? Me I think he'll try NASCAR.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 16:34 (Ref:30476)   #6
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although Jeemy has dabbled about running Nascar in the past, his name is not coming up as the candidate for the #01 Ganassi ride, which would be the logical place for him, nor is his name being thrown around with any other teams, And really, the only people who would want him would be either Ganssi or Wells' 2nd team, but his name isn't mentioned there either.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 22:55 (Ref:30559)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IRL? (Who isn't going to the IRL or F1?) Surely James would like another crack at the brickyard...
Old 15 Aug 2000, 04:31 (Ref:30637)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jimmy won 4 races in 96.....
Old 15 Aug 2000, 11:42 (Ref:30683)   #9
Liz
Veteran

But lately? He has not looked good against anybody, including his own teammates, although he has been remarkably quiet about it.

Perhaps one of the midfield cars could use his services. But I bet Bryan Herta's heart hit his shoes when he heard that Vasser is now available as a "supersub" if needed. My bet is that Herta has had his last chance at a full time drive unless Forsythe gets that other franchise he wanted.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 12:06 (Ref:30692)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
But lately? He has not looked good against anybody, including his own teammates, although he has been remarkably quiet about it.

Perhaps one of the midfield cars could use his services. But I bet Bryan Herta's heart hit his shoes when he heard that Vasser is now available as a "supersub" if needed. My bet is that Herta has had his last chance at a full time drive unless Forsythe gets that other franchise he wanted.
Gotta agree on that, but isn't Jimmy still in the top 10? But still, i guess that doesn't count for anything these days, much better off winning races...

Do we think Jimmy has lost it, and if so, what is "it" that he has lost, or is it just that the competition is so much more stronger these days?
Old 15 Aug 2000, 13:21 (Ref:30707)   #11
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think vasser´s driv in tcgr are over, i can´t imagine him next year racing for a team that has given nothing for him the las 2 years. And imagine andretti goes ganassi, those two big egos are not going to get friendly.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 15:53 (Ref:30735)   #12
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti has already driven for Ganassi in '94 and Chip has openly stated that he's good friends with the Andretti family.

AR
Old 16 Aug 2000, 01:22 (Ref:30845)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Did you hear Mario say that if Mikey goes to the Idiot Racing League, he (Mario) will NOT go to see him drive?

I think that puts the kibosh on that idea, don't you?
Old 16 Aug 2000, 02:54 (Ref:30866)   #14
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I didn't hear/read that. That's very very interesting. But if Mario's saying that, I honestly couldn't see Mikey goin' over to the IRL...no way!

Mario is a big influence on Mikey's driving right now IMO

AR

Old 16 Aug 2000, 03:38 (Ref:30878)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Well I heard him say it and he was quoted on Autosport.com's Tuesday After the Grand Prix show tonight as well. Everyone knows that Mario is a man of his word, too. So The man Who Ruined Indy is out of luck it seems.