Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jun 2006, 00:38 (Ref:1627234)   #1
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A six year old's view of Winton

It’s amazing the thoughts that come out of the mouth of kids! I took my 6 year old to Winton yesterday and he came out with some pearlers….

“Who’s winning Dad?”
Now I have to say that as a spectator at the track, reverse grid races are a pile of pus! I’ve seen a race or ten in my time and feel I can follow most on track action but I found race one yesterday very hard to follow. Trying to work out the net positions (and therefore the grid spots for race three) was almost impossible...
And so Jason Richards won. Big deal. With his pace (and Marcus Marshall shepherding the rest of the field for ages) that was hardly a surprise. Yes he drove well (and fast) but YAAAAWWWWNNNNNNN. We had a great spot at the rollover just near Penrite and that race was dullsville.
Race three was much better but led to

“Why don’t they pass each other Dad?”

“When’s the next race Dad?”
Big gaps in the program make for a long day with kids. There was a 40 minute gap between races at one stage yesterday.

"What is the Course Car doing?”
How many laps does that thing do? Remimded me of that old Billy Birmingham sketch with those fn cars going round and round AND ROUND………..

Now for the good stuff!
Winton was a picture yesterday.
All the merchandise trucks were on the old Oval with gravel laid down in between. Stopped us seeing some of the main straight from over at Penrite but still better than walking all the way around to the back of BP…
Grandstands! Had a mate in the stand near the old control tower and he was very impressed with the view! The stand in the cleavage was pretty empty though..
Traffic control and carpark management A1!
Good supports, Lotus, Fford, Hystericals, and HQ’s. Missed the Aussie Racing Cars
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 5 Jun 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1627254)   #2
Speed Kills
Rookie

Speed Kills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was at Winton with my 7 year old yesterday. It was a big improvment on their recent efforts, and I must agree of the position of the merchadise trucks. Having big screens this year was great. One more suggestion would be to build another mound, just in front of where the trucks were around the sweeper. That would provide a fantastic view and mean less time with having my 7 y.o on my shoulders - I cant keep doing that forever!!!

But with a crowd of 61,000 over the weekend is that enough to secure its future with V8s? Victoria wont be spoilt forever and I dont see us having 4 events next year. If Winton cannot secure a full time slot, then maybe sharing a round with PI, one year on one year off. But Winton needs a longer event - bring back the 300km - the reverse grid just doesn't work on such a tight track.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 06:22 (Ref:1627309)   #3
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching the racing yesterday (big screens were awesome) and listening to the course commentary by Barry Oliver, he made a comment saying how it is hard to pass, bugger me in the next minute there were six passing moves made, made me chuckle to myself!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1627340)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills
But Winton needs a longer event - bring back the 300km - the reverse grid just doesn't work on such a tight track.
Bring the 300km races back at most of the tracks i say.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1627394)   #5
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Bring the 300km races back at most of the tracks i say.
I agree with you there Pete, on most tracks, not all of them.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1627449)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
It’s amazing the thoughts that come out of the mouth of kids! I took my 6 year old to Winton yesterday and he came out with some pearlers….

“Who’s winning Dad?”
Now I have to say that as a spectator at the track, reverse grid races are a pile of pus! I’ve seen a race or ten in my time and feel I can follow most on track action but I found race one yesterday very hard to follow. Trying to work out the net positions (and therefore the grid spots for race three) was almost impossible...
And so Jason Richards won. Big deal. With his pace (and Marcus Marshall shepherding the rest of the field for ages) that was hardly a surprise. Yes he drove well (and fast) but YAAAAWWWWNNNNNNN. We had a great spot at the rollover just near Penrite and that race was dullsville.
Race three was much better but led to

“Why don’t they pass each other Dad?”

“When’s the next race Dad?”
Big gaps in the program make for a long day with kids. There was a 40 minute gap between races at one stage yesterday.

How many laps does that thing do? Remimded me of that old Billy Birmingham sketch with those fn cars going round and round AND ROUND………..

Now for the good stuff!
Winton was a picture yesterday.
All the merchandise trucks were on the old Oval with gravel laid down in between. Stopped us seeing some of the main straight from over at Penrite but still better than walking all the way around to the back of BP…
Grandstands! Had a mate in the stand near the old control tower and he was very impressed with the view! The stand in the cleavage was pretty empty though..
Traffic control and carpark management A1!
Good supports, Lotus, Fford, Hystericals, and HQ’s. Missed the Aussie Racing Cars

im agreeing with most of what you said, but lets be honest your first point is relevant for any race that has pit stops. who was leading on lap 20 of race 3 or race one, the guy who hadnt pitted. its the same. If anything reverse grids give you abetter idea of how the day is going, because at the start of race three they are in the round order, that didnt happen previously.

i think there were big gaps because the race was so late in being announced and most classes had already announced thier program.

Now for some bad stuff, thier is a serious lack of speakers over along the spectator mound at penrite. the wiring must already be there so its just needs a few poles and some speakers, cant be too hard
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1627518)   #7
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there were big gaps in the program because there has to be at least 20 mins between the previous race and the V8 races
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1627519)   #8
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a big 4 sided scoreboard with the cars number and position would work wonders in these situations. I agree on the 300k format too.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1627520)   #9
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made the journey down from Canberra for the Sat and Sunday and must say I was impressed.

A couple of points, absolutely yes get some more poles and speakers up, at some points I had no idea who was where in the race.

The spectator areas, whilst good in most parts could really do with some building up especially the sweeper leading around to the cleavage. For me being a semi pro amateur wannabe photographer it was damn hard trying to get a decent shot around some parts on Sunday.

RAIN and a nice green infield not Wintons fault but c'mon RAIN DAMMIT.

I dont know what everyones problem is , reverse grid racing is exciting, maybe there are too many old purists on this site that believe its all about the fastest car romping off into the distance race after race. Now thats exciting.

Besides there is no difference to the leaders damaging their cars coming through the field than the same backmarker doing a Jose and stuffing their car every race. The last time I checked the potential for damage is just the same each time that 31 cars blast off the grid, all it takes for someone to make a wrong move and you have lots of panel damage and reverse grid racing never started that its been happening for years.

But, overall not bad I had a good time got heaps of shots, will I make the 4.5 hour journey again next year............... absolutely, if its on!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1628084)   #10
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a few of us involved with Winton will be kicking ourselves for not letting everyone know that you can tune a radio into 87.6 FM to pick up the commentary and that if you have a portable TV you can watch the on track broadcast on UHF28 & the live timing on UHF31.

The timing transmitter is used at most events these days and the FM transmitter kicks in whenever the PA system is turned on so store this info in your memory bank for next time you're up (or down) at Winton for anything.

Please keep posting your suggestions as if no one lets you know you cant improve. I know several of us were discussing that a shuttle bus driving around the spectator road would be a good idea for next year, just need to set up several "bus stops" at a few good spots to save it having to stop and start all the time.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1628112)   #11
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
a good idea for next year...
My good idea is that we all go back to Winton next June and forget the stupid idea of chasing dollars at some boring offshore circuit. .........
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 6 Jun 2006, 02:40 (Ref:1628114)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they need to tighten up the pitstop windows, have say only a window of 7-10 laps to make a pitstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford boy
I agree with you there Pete, on most tracks, not all of them.
Yes not 300km at all of them, 500km at Sandown and 1000km at Bathurst can be the exceptions
Old 6 Jun 2006, 03:53 (Ref:1628128)   #13
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Pitstops - design fuel tanks and tyres regulations so you HAVE TO make a pit stop.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 05:02 (Ref:1628142)   #14
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think a few of us involved with Winton will be kicking ourselves for not letting everyone know that you can tune a radio into 87.6 FM to pick up the commentary and that if you have a portable TV you can watch the on track broadcast on UHF28 & the live timing on UHF31.
It would be good if other victorian tracks offered this
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1628199)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H
It would be good if other victorian tracks offered this
From memory Calder has a transmitter for the timing and run 87.9ThunderFM (now there's a blast from the past) for commentary.

PI has an FM transmitter for commentary but uses a cable distribution for it's TV & timing and it's limited to the pit complex (a carry over from the bike GP's) unless things have changed recently.

Sandown is restricted by the lack of available frequencies in the immediate area for the commentary but I'm led to believe it's not impossible to organise, as for TV it's also done by cable in the pit lane & I think it also is able to feed into the grandstand horse racing system as well.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1628263)   #16
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
The Course Car has to do a closing lap (red lights on) before each race, then an opening lap (green lights on) after each race to allow service vehicles onto the track, this is normal for V8 metings. CAMS insist on it, personally I think it is a bit of wally , a racetrack is a racetrack as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Aquarius; 6 Jun 2006 at 08:36.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1628267)   #17
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think he was actually asking what the course car does. and it usually only happens at national meetings, depends on who runs it.

ive seen state rounds in vic that doesnt happen.

cheers
Old 6 Jun 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1628298)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is good to see some positive feedback, thanks all for attending, and thank god the weather stayed good.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1628867)   #19
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H
ive seen state rounds in vic that doesnt happen.
I've seen state rounds where it does happen, it all depends on who is running the show it and how much time wasting they've built into the programme.

The Course Car opening & closing of the track dates back to the days when communications wasn't as good as it is now and the people running the event had to physically check the track was clear before letting the race cars out. In this day and age of radio communications there isn't really a need for it except if they need to pick up or drop something off to the trackside marshals.

Then again considering the Safety Car was used only twice all weekend it was the only way the WooPS Valiants were going to be seen regularly by the paying public
Old 7 Jun 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1629533)   #20
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Between Winton & Wakefield
Adam Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Opening and closing the track is not generally a common practice at Winton, from race control the whole circuit is visible.

With the large gaps in the programme, the V8's require these gaps on the circuit prior to their races.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1629597)   #21
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was this not working too well on the weekend, because I saw a number of the teams fiddling around with aerials trying to get better reception and many of them had pretty crappy reception. Live Timing didnt seem too bad but the track broadcast seemed very snowy (I know it was cold, but it wasnt that cold). I also heard on the scanner the channel 10 guys talking about it - someone asked what was going on with the video feed to the pits, and the response didnt come back very nice, something about the on track guys not knowing what they are doing.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1629608)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I Followed the reverse grid race fairly well , and I really enjoyed it too

Apologies to PVDA for not catching up (I left my mobile in Albury )

I actually thought things were organized very well , probably the best organization I have ever seen at Winton , The grandstand on bp Ultimate straight was excellent (I sat next to it but it looked great) the organization of getting people out of the track afterwards was very good.

the only thing I hated on Sunday was sitting right next to one of the speakers and the music that was played was way too loud at first , but then thankfully it was turned down so you could at least have a conversation to the person next to you.

The Big Screens were absolutely excellent

the one at turn 4 i was watching worked great (allthough it didnt run for every class sadly) I would have liked it closer (but then again my eyes are shot) I reckon right behind the old pits in the middle would be great , but then again it may get less people seeing it there and the rescue trucks would have to be moved.

Bon Fires (No more Pajero burning please , I shouldnt laugh the guy who owned it must have felt terrible and I hope he was insured)

other than that it was a great weekend and I hope to be back there next year
Old 7 Jun 2006, 23:49 (Ref:1629616)   #23
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
No more Pajero burning please , I shouldnt laugh the guy who owned it must have felt terrible and I hope he was insured
Funny thing was they showed what was left of the Paj on the big screeen after they had swept it on to a flatbed truck.

THEN they called the rego over the PA and asked the owner to "please return to your vehicle..."

I think he was already on the way to the AAMI office...............
Old 8 Jun 2006, 02:52 (Ref:1629662)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek
Was this not working too well on the weekend, because I saw a number of the teams fiddling around with aerials trying to get better reception
Tell me about it.

A combination of the main transmitter for the TV side of things going faulty (we think a recent lightning strike could be the culprit as a PA amp died the previous weekend) and the local birdlife eating the antenna cabling was the cause and we eventually found and fixed it all fairly early on Sunday morning. Mind you we did send someone to Melbourne on Saturday night to pick up a replacement transmitter which arrived at 11:00pm.

Someone was causing a major problem for everyone, including the TV guys, with a high powered radio signal which caused some grief for the TV signal it seemed to get worse whenever the V8's were on track.

Considering the amount of work required for an event of this size and having only about 8-9 weeks to organise it I think the staff & club members did an excellent job. Yes things didn't quite go to plan at times but when they did pop up they were dealt with quickly.

A race meeting is like a graceful swan gliding across a lake, it's looks so graceful as it gently floats along but in reality it's kicking like buggery under the water to do it.

And Marcus I was based in the old control tower building over the weekend (when I wasn't fixing things) so you were probably sitting right next to me
Old 8 Jun 2006, 02:59 (Ref:1629668)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
Bon Fires (No more Pajero burning please , I shouldnt laugh the guy who owned it must have felt terrible and I hope he was insured)
Holy ****! What happened?