Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Pit Speed Limiters?
Yay 21 84.00%
Nay 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 May 2001, 10:32 (Ref:90951)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pit speed limiters?

And for what reasons did you vote the way you did?
Old 10 May 2001, 11:57 (Ref:90978)   #2
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nay to limiters.

It is another dimension of the race, a very small one, but if you are not careful and speed you get penalised, and if you are too lax then you could potentially lose time, well very little but costly sometiimes.

How well is the limit policed, how many people do they have lining the pits with speed guns?
Old 10 May 2001, 22:11 (Ref:91121)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I can gather they let people through who do 63km/h in a 60 zone....

I think normally they would have 2 or 3 radars controlling pit lane. At some tracks (like QR) they have timing lines in embedded in the pit lane. So over the 5 or 6 sectors in the pit lane,they find an average speed and you can get pinged that way.
Old 11 May 2001, 15:33 (Ref:91256)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sorry nz-touer but i have to disagree with you...Safety first before sport or anything..I dont care what people say Safety is the most important thing that all sport needs..I have been hit by a go kart doing 20kph before in the pits and believe me its not a nice feeling let alone a 1300kg V8 running over the top of you.

this is really needed..either that or ban pitstops again...sure they are worried about traction control and rightly so ..but motec believe they can overcome this problem and CAMS or whoever should give them a chance to prove it..i dont want traction control in V8's (heaven forbid Rodney forbes may stay on track for a whole race )
but in my books safety is paramount to anything else.
Old 12 May 2001, 01:13 (Ref:91385)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ken Douglas has said that the traction control problem in F1 wouldn't be an issue, due to the fact that in F1 they have a totally electronic throttle, where in V8s its all done by the convnetional accelerator cable.
Old 15 May 2001, 02:37 (Ref:92634)   #6
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good point Marcus, I never actually looked at it from a safety point of view. your right, safety is the most important factor to consider and if the drivers are concentrating on the 60 kay limit then they may not be aware of whats ahead of them.

the first thing they need to think about is making pit lane bigger so the teams have a lot more room to work with. if they dont address this issue they eventually will have a death or serious injury on their hands.
Old 15 May 2001, 03:53 (Ref:92646)   #7
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed limiters

This is primarily a safety issue. If the drivers are watching the tacho instead of what is happening in pit lane safety is compromised.

The pit's generally are narrow and small. With all lots of cars pitting together there is very little room for error.

So I say if the technology exits to make racing safer then use it. The rev limiters are already there in the engine management system, all they need are two settings. One for racing and one for pit lane speed.
Old 15 May 2001, 04:52 (Ref:92654)   #8
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted yay. From the grandstand at Eastern Crrek we could see right into the pits and there was just total chaos in there at one stage.

The "Oooos" and "aaaahs" from the corwd and some of the near misses going on in there says it all.

Do something about it before we have more serious incidents than those that have already occured.
Old 15 May 2001, 05:41 (Ref:92661)   #9
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
got to be Yay,
see all posts above for my reasons
Old 15 May 2001, 05:49 (Ref:92667)   #10
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope: It makes the drivers concenrate more in pit lane.

However for safety reasons i would install 1 that won't let the drivers do more than 65 in the pits but leave the speed limit to 60 to make the drivers work but that if they do speed it won't be much faster than the actual speed limit
Old 15 May 2001, 10:46 (Ref:92723)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
welcome aboard philneast!

Well at 10:2, i think the yays have it..
Old 23 May 2001, 11:17 (Ref:95493)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Larry Perkins (a driver and team owner) has said that speed limiters may well start a fad in illegal traction control. Once you start having computers deciding how fast you're going to go down pitlane, it's not going to take long for cashed up teams like HRT to find computers that decide how fast you're going to go around a corner.

If a professional driver can't drive down the road at 60 km/h, there is massive problems.

At most of the events, they shouldn't have pitstops anyway. My driveway and garage are bigger than some of the pit lane complexes.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:01 (Ref:95517)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Welcome aboard Mac!

I think Larry has been taken up in the rush to traction control that has swept through F1. I can tell you as a fact, that they are much more likely to use their telemetry feed for TC purposes. If you have sensors fixed to any number of different points on the cars, which feed information straight back into the cars computer system, there really wouldn't be anything stopping smart people from rerouting the information through their TC computer.

With the pit speed limiters, they would set the car at a certain rev limit for the gearing of the car. It would just be like the 7500 rev limit they currently have, except it would kick in at say 2000 revs in 1st gear. If teams are able to exploit that, they should also be currently taking advantage of the 7500 limit.

I could be completly wrong...what do you guys think?
Old 23 May 2001, 12:17 (Ref:95527)   #14
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
add me to the yes list as most track are having problems with the size of the V8 grid the outdated pits of most tracks are realy feeling the pinch .So yes saftey is always first
Old 24 May 2001, 12:06 (Ref:95961)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash, i believe pit to car telemetry is banned for precisely the reason you just described. However, car to pit telemetry is still legal, but that is only useful for data acquistion.
Old 30 May 2001, 10:25 (Ref:98728)   #16
RustyGT
Rookie

RustyGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay, I agree it should be able to be done by Rev limit in 1st gear, the limit used tho is dependent on the diff ratio.
The in car yellow/ red flag warning should be implemented too.
another topic perhaps.
As for TC, interesting to hear Martin Brundle in the F1 call from the A-Ring. Saying that, you can hear the TC at work.
Given that the spark is cut to individual cyls [think thats how] in mid corner, the motors pop and bang or just go flat.
He reckoned 'It was the worst thing thing they could've done to the motors' I'd say he was referring to the sound,[which of course is part of the spectacle of F1]
To stand by a corner and listen to a driver pedal the car, while you watch it's attitude is great. If TC means the car tracks true, while sounding awful, means to me we've lost something. Unless your in the sponsors box watching it on the telly in which case, It matters not.
Cheers R.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:31 (Ref:98767)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to the forum Rusty, I think you've hit the nail right on the head with this one. Keeping the car tracking straight and making it sound awful are two excellent ways of ruining the show for the punters on the hill, without upsetting the corporate types in their VIP boxes. Guess whose interests AVESCO has at heart, it ain't you and me that's for sure.

BTW, I'd love to know where you got your nickname.
Old 30 May 2001, 12:14 (Ref:98815)   #18
RustyGT
Rookie

RustyGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David,
It's my real name, close as.
Funny, my old man's a fisherman.

Still the fading fotos in the gallery show a mixed collection of V8 W's and Y's,
even a '68 390 Galaxie. Most of them with their bums hanging out!
The Right hand pedal, was always much more fun than the left!
Cheers, R.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 06:40 (Ref:102120)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
And the Yays have it! Boy, TEGA were quick in acting to our pole
Old 7 Jun 2001, 14:37 (Ref:102255)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Just proves they should listen to us more often

forget TEGA ..forget AVESCO ..because the Ten Tenths V8 forum members are taking over

and rightly so !!!!!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 05:36 (Ref:103221)   #21
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A Defination of a race track is exactlly that and the pit lane has always been apart of that. I have worked in a pit crew at the Tooheys 1000 and the Bathurst 12 in the early 90s and belive that if you can not drive in the pit lane then you can not drive on the track. It is also up to the pitcrew members to be aware as much as they can of what is going on around them.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 07:11 (Ref:103231)   #22
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
A Defination of a race track is exactlly that and the pit lane has always been apart of that.
I will not dispute drivers conduct in pit lane, however pit lane IS part of the race track and should always be treated as such - anyone that doesn't treat it as part of the RACE TRACK is courting disaster.
If we are to take your definition then we shouldn't be counting as a lap anyone that comes into pit lane.

Even the definition in both the FIA and CAMS regulations define control or time lines extending into pit lane.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:27 (Ref:103765)   #23
MadMick
Rookie

MadMick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day all

I voted yay for the safety reason, having just spent the weekend at the GMC, I think some poor bugga would have been killed without em.

Now for question time , is the 40km limit on all tracks now or was it just for the GMC ??

cya l8r

MadMick:-)
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:30 (Ref:103767)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheesh - they let all type in here, don't they? - seriously - glad to see you found your way over here...

No - the 40 k limit was for Canberra only - something about the narrow pit lane, streets and politicians minds
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:36 (Ref:103774)   #25
MadMick
Rookie

MadMick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day Racey

hehe, you can run but ya can't hide <g>.

Phew , glad it was only for the GMC, 40km on some of the other tracks would be a joke !!

cya l8r

MadMick :-)