Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 May 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1306637)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans 2005 - Who, Where and When

So the 2005 Le Mans 24 Hours is just over 3 weeks away and its about time that we discovered who is going, where you are staying and when are you arriving.

I am travaling with Nordic/SL Tours again. We will be in SL's E-Type again and we will be travalling out on the Tuesday night on the 23.30 Portsmouth/Caen crossing. We will be again staying on Houx Annexe. As for the return trip it's 9.30 Caen/Portsmouth crossing.

That's my plans, over to you guys....
Old 22 May 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1306662)   #2
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
myself and a newbie will be on the eurotunnel on wednesday morning, driving down in an audi(sorry ayse), aiming to arrive at the circuit around 5pm for first qualifying. we will be staying where i've stayed the last 4 years, with a charming french family who live about a ten minute walk away from the expo. we are scheduled on the 2amish train back on sunday night monday morning.
Old 22 May 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1306667)   #3
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who: me! (and about 30 other 'Drinking for Holland' people)
Where: Staying at Maison Blanche.
When: Leaving Holland on either Tuesday (late) or Wednesday (very early) arriving on wednesday. Going back on Monday i think.
Old 22 May 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1307392)   #4
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm leaving on 3rd will not be back until 20th! Piglet will be there for second week
Old 22 May 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1307510)   #5
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm traveling out with mates Piglet and Simon and Skyredbutton is joining us on the Thursday. Roll on the 10th.
Old 22 May 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1307521)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
I'm traveling out with mates Piglet and Simon and Skyredbutton is joining us on the Thursday. Roll on the 10th.
I'll speak to you about that next week Jase
Old 23 May 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1307745)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Real whistlestop stuff for me.

Travelling out with fellow Tourists Alan and Jeff on the afternoon flight from Bournemouth to Paris on Friday 17th. Meeting up with Martyn (flying from Cardiff) and Ian and Robert (flying from Gatwick) for a night in Paris. Then up (hopefully at the crack of dawn) to blat to Le Mans in the hired Espace (or whatever) hopefully to be in time to meet you all at the 12 noon meeting. After the race its straight back to Paris for a night and half a day there before flying back to Bournemouth. Staying in the usual place on Saturday night (although there'll only be 5 sleeping there..... ).
Old 23 May 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1307844)   #8
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 of us are leaving North Wales tuesday (14th) afternoon in the trusty Mercedes Sprinter, down to Portsmouth for the overnight crossing to Le Havre (Le Mans 2005 starts when we get to Portsmouth and we have our first pint).
A little low flying in the Merc as I'll have my white van man head on, down to Le Mans to the Airtrack vip camp site down by the karting track.
Meeting up sometime during the week with two newbies who are camping in the technopark.
Then back up monday for the early evening sailing back to Portsmouth, and thats when depretion sets in as the week has just gone too quick again!!!!!!
Old 23 May 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1307917)   #9
Bottle
Rookie

Bottle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 of us in a Peugeot 406 Coupe.

10pm shuttle on Thursday, then nighttime blat down, E.T.A. Parking Bleu at 4am. We'll try to put up the tent quietly!

Nice to get down and do the pitlane walkabout for the first time, then the drivers parade in the evening - loved the atmosphere in the city last year!
Old 23 May 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1307969)   #10
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
I'm traveling out with mates Piglet and Simon ...
Shoulda added thatwe're travelling on Saturday the 11th. A whole week and a half in France - will they be able to cope?? (the French that is)
Old 23 May 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1307999)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We're taking 7 of us in two very exotic cars... a Renault Clio, and a Peugeot 306 (very French! ).

Leave home Tuesday evening to my mates house in Kent, get the ferry from Dover at 6am Wednesday morning, coming back late Monday.
Old 23 May 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1308146)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Im going Dover Calais on the Seacat on Wednesday 0815 then staying at a hotel Wednesday night and heading for Maison Blanche Thursday Morning. Back to a hotel for Sunday Night and then back to Calai for the 2015 Seacat.
Old 23 May 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1308200)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be working on the weekend the race is on, so I'll still be in Lincoln, England. I'M SO GUTTED!!!!
Old 23 May 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1308232)   #14
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself and another photog flying into Paris CDG and driving down on Monday or Tuesday morning.

There for the whole week this time, blagging accomodation with ss_collins and his lot.
Old 23 May 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1308256)   #15
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flying to Paris on Friday morning.

Get hire car. Visit circuit friday pm then stay in Amboise Friday night - beautiful town on the the Loire, about 15 miles east of Tours.

Sunday night in Paris, fly home Monday pm
Old 23 May 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1308278)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As has been said above, Jase, Simon and I head off on the 11th, Flying Pig Racing will be setting up Chateau Piglet on Maison Blanche on the Sunday if we can blag our way in or alternatively on the Monday morning.

We'll be up and running for cold by lunchtime Monday at the latest so RDJ feel free to come and find us!

Can't wait - less than three weeks to go for us, Happy Snapper has less than two weeks lucky bug%er!!
Old 23 May 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1308307)   #17
careyr
Rookie

careyr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suggestions need for first LM

I'm a Yank looking to make my first 24 hours and would appreciate some helpful hints. We'll have a rental car and will be driving in from the South and have a hotel reservation in Tours. I assume I can take the train to Le Mans Saturday morning or should I try to drive? Could I still find a room in Le Mans for Friday and Saturday night? If so where and how? Any suggestions on where to watch the start and the race? I don't think I'll buy grandstand tickets but just wander around the track. Is that realistic?

Thanks for any help.
Old 23 May 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1308402)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gilles is probably your man here for local accommodation checks careyr, but I'd be very surprised if there is still a room to be had in Le Mans for Friday and Saturday night.

If you don't have a grandstand seat, I would get onto the tribunes opposite the pits good and early on Saturday lunchtime. Stake your claim to a good spot and enjoy the mesmerising pre-race festivities - its one of my favourote bits of the entire weekend. And you can wave to me (and plenty of others here) up in the pits grandstand!

You can certainly wander around the track, from the Porsche Curves at one extreme to Tertre Rouge at the other.
Old 24 May 2005, 03:42 (Ref:1308580)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Careyr : you'll be more confortable if you drive from Tours to Le Mans, instead of trying the train. Just follow the indications to the circuit.

Then park at Red or Blue : you'll buy your ticket at the parking gate (mind to have cash with you).

For the room, forget it IMHO. It's overcrowded. You'll have to sleep in your car, or go back to your hotel in Tours (it's not that far BTW, one hour driving - Mind the speed traps, and take it easy on the road).

I forgot : mind to leave Tours early enough (7h30am) to avoid trafic jams around the track, and find a parking lot quite easy. Don't forget confortable shoes, your cap, and some fruits if you don't want to eat bread the whole week-end (you'll find mainly sandwiches and restaurants on the spot).

Welcome to Le Mans, and enjoy your stay !
Old 24 May 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1308629)   #20
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rioja wine is coming ! I´ll arrive friday morning with the motorhome (parking bleu staying) , then directly to the pitlane walking tour. Will there be any meeting on friday? If not, promise to see you all saturday noon
Old 24 May 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1308752)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Careyr,

As Fab said, don't take the train! We use Tours as a base if we come unstuck with hotel rooms close to the circuit. Apart from the immediate area around the track, the roads to/from the south are remarkably quiet both before and after the race. The anticipation of race day generally gets the better of us and we leave Tours by about 06:30 on the Saturday morning. Very little traffic at the circuit when we get there at about 07:30. Plenty of time to get your bearings and no panic if you got a bit lost on the way. Warm up begins at 09:00.

If you do need sleep during the race, sleep in the car. Alternatively, buy a cheap pop up tent (about 12 euros) from one of the big supermarkets, pay the 20 euro Bivouac supplement in Parking Bleu, Rouge or Aerodrome when you arrive and camp in the car park.

Good luck!
Old 24 May 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1308940)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd echo what you say about the roads to the south - we've travelled half an hour or so south for the best part of 10 years now and never had any problems getting into and out of the circuit. Mind you, we have a driver who has something like 36 years experience of driving to Le Mans........

In a way I envy you Careyr - first time at Le Mans - what an eye-opener! We don't need to tell you to enjoy it - because you will!
Old 24 May 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1308989)   #23
Roel_Ooms
Rookie

Roel_Ooms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Staying some 30 kilometers up north in Beaumont /s Sarthe on the camping municipale, €2 per night & splendid facilities. A 40 minute ride to the circuit. Have been coming there since the beginning in 2001, just superb. Sat-Sun night in-car sleeping in shifts: five 6ft. blokes in one Fiat Punto ain't gonna work... Arrival thursday evening, departure monday morning, a 6½ hour-ride to home, Southern Holland. Can't wait till it's thursday.

Where is Beaumont /s Sarthe?
http://home.planet.nl/~ooms0172/sarthe.jpg
Old 24 May 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1309102)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi
Rioja wine is coming ! I´ll arrive friday morning with the motorhome (parking bleu staying) , then directly to the pitlane walking tour. Will there be any meeting on friday?
You say !

I'll be there on friday ! I think we could arrange a meeting at 3pm facing Pescarolo garage... but expect to meet me wandering around in the morning too !

Rioja... I'm already drooling !
Old 24 May 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1309170)   #25
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems that there's a Dutch camping in Beaumont sur Sarthe. Probably the same.. its excellent. we are staying from monday till the monday. Three travelling in Mazda 323 '86 GTX or RX-8. Joined by another 6 persons from the friday.