Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Dec 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3594866)   #26
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronkster View Post
Hi, GTB; thanx for your reply. I saw your post on this car from 2002 was it? Interested to know how you knew about it as it was never in Australia.

Anyway, it was a complete beast to drive. I think you would be quite complimentary if you said it was "a bit of a pig!!!!”

The main problem was the gearbox. Or more accurately the shift action which was more up-and- down rather than forward-and-back. This was because the gear stick came forward from behind the driver.

The engine was set so far back in the frame that two plugs on either side of the V8 had to be changed from inside the car. With the massive Jag box bolted-on the shifter exited the box somewhere in the vicinity of where the back seat used to be!!!

The rear-end was Austin Champ (4WD) independent with bespoke suspension. Front-end was TR4 with discs and rack & pinion.

I was getting rear-wheel steering going thru the off-camber Paddock bend at Brands!!!!!

Exciting to say the least!!!!
Sounds like more then a handful...but in a fun way

My interest in the car was purely from the point of view of a long standing Q Car admirer...love the weird and wonderful combinations some people come up with...
Old 2 Dec 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3594890)   #27
Gronkster
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Gronkster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morrie V8

Hi GTB, it was a weird and wonderful combination alright!!!!
It was a bit rough around the edges but was built like a tank. I don’t know what it weighed but it was quite heavy. It was a point-and-squirt machine. Mike Bennion lived near Silverstone and told me he’d raced it there a few times only. No mention of Santa Pod.
I was surprised to see it on the Sept ’67 cover of CCC. He never showed that to me or even mentioned it. The car looks quite different to when I bought it. He had another magazine feature on it in colour – at least four pages – but not on the cover. I’d always thought it was CCC but apparently not. The issue with it on the cover doesn’t have a feature and it’s before CCC went to colour. So it must have been Hot Car or another one. I have been searching for the last 40 years trying to find it.
The magazine feature billed it as “The World’s Fastest Morris Minor”. This was half the reason I bought it!!!! It had been electronically timed at Silverstone @ 150mph.

Old 2 Dec 2015, 01:14 (Ref:3594891)   #28
Gronkster
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Gronkster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morrie V8

The bonnet, boot-lid and doors were all fibreglass. The boot-lid had larger round holes across the top. The bonnet had the scoop at the front for the oil cooler and a large rectangular opening to clear the air cleaner, not the small scoop on top as in the pic at Santa Pod. It had a huge Carter four-barrel carby with big round chrome aircleaner. Side windows were Perspex. The engine was a ‘57/’58 Thunderbird.