Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2668657)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Vitesse has to be one of the daftest choices for a race car ever. You will just look stupid.
Jon, I think that by now, I understand where you are coming from and why you would take this view. However, I love the Vitesse; it's something different, and I'm pretty certain that I saw one, fitted with a 2.5 TR5/6 engine at Donington a few years back, and it won against some quite interesting machinery. Of course such a car does, as has been mentioned, have fairly limited opportunities to race. I seem to remember that CCC did a feature 40 odd years ago on a Vitesse which had a Jag XK lump dropped into it!
Old 8 Apr 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2668677)   #27
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Jon, I think that by now, I understand where you are coming from and why you would take this view. However, I love the Vitesse; it's something different, and I'm pretty certain that I saw one, fitted with a 2.5 TR5/6 engine at Donington a few years back, and it won against some quite interesting machinery. Of course such a car does, as has been mentioned, have fairly limited opportunities to race. I seem to remember that CCC did a feature 40 odd years ago on a Vitesse which had a Jag XK lump dropped into it!
Gotcha.

Where have you been?
Old 8 Apr 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2668707)   #28
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
However, I love the Vitesse; it's something different, and I'm pretty certain that I saw one, fitted with a 2.5 TR5/6 engine at Donington a few years back, and it won against some quite interesting machinery. Of course such a car does, as has been mentioned, have fairly limited opportunities to race.
you are right John , as i mentioned earlier its a neighbour of mine who owned and raced the car . Both he and the car were very quick which is probably why he ended up really struggling for places to race .
Old 8 Apr 2010, 10:01 (Ref:2668723)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, Jerry; been trying to catch up, but probably missed your earlier post.

(Jon, I'll e-mail you shortly)
Old 8 Apr 2010, 10:22 (Ref:2668729)   #30
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
That must have been some Vitesse with the Massive (heavy) Jag lump.

I'd have though the huge weight increase would offset any performance gain but maybe not if you can maybe through huge tyres and beef it all up. Mind the Jag lump woul still need to be souped up a good deal.

A "really" well tuned TR6 will beat most Jags (bar crazy money fia type one).

Any pic's of this device? Modsports I presume?
Old 18 Apr 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2675011)   #31
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
There must be a reasonable amount of that, that could be used in conjunction with new parts for a good tub.
=======================================================

On the Vitesse - if you build it, how about the Jigsaw Alll Triumph race at Mallory in August (likely too early), been run for the last two years and on again this year. Sunday 29th and Monday 30th August.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2675049)   #32
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, I reckon the germans would let you in. http://www.triumph-competition.de/

I should be back out in my Spitfire with them later this year (August/Sept time with any luck). I'm technically outside the rules but they didn't seem that bothered when I spoke to them about it as I'm only doing a couple of races. If you're interested in asking PM me and I'll send you a few email addresses (I don't want to post other people's addys on a public forum)

Cheers,

Richy
Old 19 Apr 2010, 06:58 (Ref:2675560)   #33
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
I think we are slightly at cross purposes - a dream car "Modsports type Vitesse" is not really comparable to CUT 7! I agree it is all bonkers at the fia cloning level. Glad I am out of all that tosh with my Griff. With CUT 7 just being a one off Lightweight it will be more down to money ultimately, rather than just being the desire to "Want" to race a lightweight E or say a Griff - if that is the case you can build a "New" car to the HTP spec and get on and race it.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2676337)   #34
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
terry - PM was just asking if you have a current Mob no. for John Wood (mine is way out of date). Just want to run a few TR things past him on car setup. Cheers Jon
Old 20 Apr 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2676339)   #35
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
terry - PM was just asking if you have a current Mob no. for John Wood (mine is way out of date). Just want to run a few TR things past him on car setup. Cheers Jon

Sorry Jon,I havn't got his number.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 07:14 (Ref:2676343)   #36
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Sorry Jon,I havn't got his number.
No worries - he is like a GHOST. Think I know what I need to do to my car. (To find my lost traction!).