Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3871258)   #1376
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Anyone who longs for the days of Croft in the future needs their head seeing too,
I think you're missing the (subtle) point - someone who's say between 11 to 15, finding F1 for the first time, will have no previous reference points with which to compare. In today's world, where IMMEDIATE SATISFACTION is GUARANTEED all over the Internet, Crofty's style is pretty relaxed. Who knows, the hypothetical young person might think his style is BLOODY AWESOME.

When they're approaching 50, they'll look back all misty eyed and compare that era's commentators to Crofty, and find them all wanting - because *that's what people do*.

I miss Murray, but I quite like Crofty actually. I shall refrain from comment on others as I have opinions which have largely been described more eloquently by other people.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3871263)   #1377
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My favourite commentator is David Addison, who does Blancpain and BTCC among other things. Does a really good job of describing the action, thinking sensible thoughts aloud and only getting excited at the right moments.

Jonny Palmer on Radio Le Mans should be snapped up by a big organisation soon as well.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 03:26 (Ref:3871299)   #1378
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Croft isn't spectacular, but I think some people may have forgotten just how horrendous James Allen was as a commentator. Great in the pit lane, but absolutely insufferable as a commentator. He was more interested in talking about how great he was, how he knew so much and how much he loved Lewis Hamilton.
ah yes, his favourite catchphrase: "i'm told"

his style is similar to saward's writing style. it's all about the first person, which absolutely does not work unless you're a preacher and even then it's shaky ground. fairly certain allen is a prolific fan fiction writer on the quiet, his monologues were... something else.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3871312)   #1379
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Thank you, I enjoyed that and the racing looked very close. Did you hear Graham Hill saying that Hunt was driving very well but being so close to Hulme, in front, his car was losing downforce? Rien ne change
Old 19 Dec 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3871392)   #1380
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this could be cut and pasted into the "how to fix F1" thread.

The cars sound fabulous, they look difficult to drive, there's a penalty for making a mistake. And the tracks - big balls flat out corners, not technical second gear stadia. You can see the sheer skill of the drivers while thinking "Jeez I could never do that."

Fewer races with as good a spectacle as that - take my money, literally.

I remember watching that on TV live, it was a rare treat and quite an occasion. Raymond Baxter really was a master of his art.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Dec 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3871419)   #1381
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think this could be cut and pasted into the "how to fix F1" thread.
I was tempted.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 01:46 (Ref:3875398)   #1382
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In contrast to F1, IndyCar have opened up the series by televising 8 races on NBC, which are free-2-air. I would have thought, that's how to grow the fan base, rather than putting it behind a Sky pay-wall. which F1 is going to do.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3875441)   #1383
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Indycar knows how to treat it's audience
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3875569)   #1384
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well Indycar knows how to treat it's audience

Given the size of the audience,they probably know them by name and send the audience birthday and Christmas cards.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:30 (Ref:3875604)   #1385
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While F1 will say growth of viewship or increasing the fanbase as important, it is probably much more important for IndyCar than F1. So IndyCar probably takes it more seriously and puts real effort into it. While F1 feels they can squeeze the lemon. Charge the existing fans in the expectation that enough will stay even while complaining.

Richard
Old 11 Jan 2019, 23:07 (Ref:3875615)   #1386
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I think you're missing the (subtle) point - someone who's say between 11 to 15, finding F1 for the first time, will have no previous reference points with which to compare. In today's world, where IMMEDIATE SATISFACTION is GUARANTEED all over the Internet, Crofty's style is pretty relaxed. Who knows, the hypothetical young person might think his style is BLOODY AWESOME.

When they're approaching 50, they'll look back all misty eyed and compare that era's commentators to Crofty, and find them all wanting - because *that's what people do*.

I miss Murray, but I quite like Crofty actually. I shall refrain from comment on others as I have opinions which have largely been described more eloquently by other people.
I'm 16 and I do .Love historics.I find modern F1 to put it blunt,AWFUL compared to even 15 20 years ago.I could go on but I'll leave that for another day.I find the commentary way to loud and brash.Its like they are trying to hype it up by shouting or raising there voice when its shouldnt be needed.

Will
Old 12 Jan 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3875658)   #1387
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
F1 coverage here has gone from behind the paywall to a blooming mobile phone provider.
Formula E is free to air on TV,so its good bye F1 and hello electric's and Indycars.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3875668)   #1388
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to the subject of commentators through history, I’ve now remembered who’s missing from the posts a while back- John Bolster.

A character in anyone’s book......
Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3875679)   #1389
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to the subject of commentators through history, I’ve now remembered who’s missing from the posts a while back- John Bolster.

A character in anyone’s book......
Absolutely.... always in his deerstalker hat, handlebar moustache and tweed jacket. I dont know why but I always remember a quote of him talking about his famous Bloody Mary car which ultimately ran with 4 JAP engines and ran on methanol.... he said something along the lines of she loves to drink plenty of alcohol, just like her owner!

As Mike said, a true character, the likes of which we dont see many of these days.

Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3875680)   #1390
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Absolutely.... always in his deerstalker hat, handlebar moustache and tweed jacket. I dont know why but I always remember a quote of him talking about his famous Bloody Mary car which ultimately ran with 4 JAP engines and ran on methanol.... he said something along the lines of she loves to drink plenty of alcohol, just like her owner!

As Mike said, a true character, the likes of which we dont see many of these days.

http://www.coys.co.uk/wp-content/upl...or/default.jpg
Great car. I saw it at Goodwood a few years back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6714.jpg   IMG_6927.jpg  
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3875727)   #1391
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
While F1 will say growth of viewship or increasing the fanbase as important, it is probably much more important for IndyCar than F1. So IndyCar probably takes it more seriously and puts real effort into it. While F1 feels they can squeeze the lemon. Charge the existing fans in the expectation that enough will stay even while complaining.

Richard
It's probably much more important for IndyCar because of what happened post split. AOWR took a real beating, in terms of TV audience, track attendance and lack of sponsors. Series unification was 11 years ago and though it is in far better shape than it was, it's still not out completely of the woods.

However, it's equally important for F1 to maintain and grow their fan base but that's going to become increasingly harder, if it's behind a pay-wall, as there will be long term fans who won't want to pay extra, plus having to pay extra won't attract the casual fan. When I say extra, I'm thinking of UK fans because they've already payed for the TV licence fee, before they've even bought a subscription package like Sky Sports.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 12 Jan 2019 at 16:15.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3876080)   #1392
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
F1 coverage here has gone from behind the paywall to a blooming mobile phone provider.
Formula E is free to air on TV,so its good bye F1 and hello electric's and Indycars.
I tried watching the formula milk floats at the Marrakesh race today but gave up after 1 lap, my worst fears confirmed, they look and sound pathetic
Old 14 Jan 2019, 17:35 (Ref:3876122)   #1393
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the funny thing is, you may as well have a lot of motorsport on mute if you’re watching it on the telly. the trackside noise often bears little resemblance to the general engine noises you usually get through the tv on anything other than onboards.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3876157)   #1394
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s a good point. Quality coverage for stadium sports can have great surround sound. Ball on racket or bat, contact, helmets cracking in football, the crowd.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 00:00 (Ref:3876191)   #1395
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think the cars and racing look bloody great in Formula Battery!!
Some great battles, strategy and racecraft on display.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3876455)   #1396
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah, i think the formula e cars are visually out there enough to give the viewer a clue that they aren’t in kansas any more. i admire just how differently they’ve gone with tv and social media coverage and - to be fair - it almost always works. it goes to show how rooted in familiarity a lot of f1 fans are, and how that means the organisers have to walk a tightrope over a pit of angry rottweilers just to advance anything - literally anything - in the sport.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3876483)   #1397
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Haven't seen the Marrakesh race but saw the opening race in Saudi (I think) - there did seem to be some good racing - a bit messed up with various penalties for technical infringements, but definitely some real competition going on.

I'd like to see them run at some proper tracks, though - the street circuits are just too artificial and restrictive for my tastes, although I recognise that for now the size of most proper circuits would mean you'd get relatively few laps and therefore less value for spectators.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3876492)   #1398
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Formula Battery cars are seriously ugly as are Indycars, it's the pods between the front and rear wheels, makes them look like dodgem cars.

I saw the battery Jaguars testing for a couple of days @ Rockingham last year and they did impress me, awesome acceleration.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3876513)   #1399
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Haven't seen the Marrakesh race but saw the opening race in Saudi (I think) - there did seem to be some good racing - a bit messed up with various penalties for technical infringements, but definitely some real competition going on.

I'd like to see them run at some proper tracks, though - the street circuits are just too artificial and restrictive for my tastes, although I recognise that for now the size of most proper circuits would mean you'd get relatively few laps and therefore less value for spectators.
I watched the first race last night. It was different, but there was quite a bit of on track action. I think it has potential. I will continue watching it to see if it holds my interest.

Richard
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3876520)   #1400
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Speaking of Marrakesh, any idea where this one finished?
Attached Thumbnails
Float.jpg  

Tags
pinks