Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 3 Dec 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3784935)   #3501
paulSenna
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
paulSenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I've just come across this YouTube of a Special Saloon race at Thruxton, where the leader is one John Turner in a Skoda. Is that the JT of this parish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5PYmN8TARY
Marcus Pye gives a detailed who's who and what's what in the comments under the video.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3784948)   #3502
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article here as to what the Nissan Leaf will do to the world.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...oreUserAgent=1

If high end motor parks exist, classic/historic racing will still thrive as drivers will want to race cars of character.

But where will the fuel come from?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 3 Dec 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3784952)   #3503
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Interesting article here as to what the Nissan Leaf will do to the world.

If high end motor parks exist, classic/historic racing will still thrive as drivers will want to race cars of character.

But where will the fuel come from?
That’s right, blame the poor old Leaf! I think you’ll find Mr Musk has had more to do with bringing autonomy to the world’s attention. And although seems to be combined, you don’t need vehicles to be electric to be autonomous...

Fuel? Sunoco of course, but no doubt even more per litre!

As always, fun to read the comments below the article.......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 3 Dec 2017 at 20:10.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3784953)   #3504
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulSenna View Post
Marcus Pye gives a detailed who's who and what's what in the comments under the video.
Thanks Paul (?)! Welcome back to tenths and HRT in particular.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3784957)   #3505
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
This will have been a nice purchase for anyone interested in collecting homologation specials. Can’t remember seeing one come up for sale before.....

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/opel-manta-400
Old 4 Dec 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3785008)   #3506
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
They dont shop up that often you're right Mike, specially with their original mechanical parts. This one was a LHD then converted including the wipers. A tough job.
No worry Bob, its a Vauxhall!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3785010)   #3507
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Talking of Vauxhalls...
I enjoyed the Supersaloons from Thruxton, and then found this which I also enjoyed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7xbv5PlrhU
Old 4 Dec 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3785011)   #3508
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
They dont shop up that often you're right Mike, specially with their original mechanical parts. This one was a LHD then converted including the wipers. A tough job.
No worry Bob, its a Vauxhall!
I wonder if it would have been worth more if left LHD? I remember the E30 M3 conversion included having to throw the original exhaust manifold away, and think converting an Integrale was also difficult.....
Old 4 Dec 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3785014)   #3509
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the RHD Integrale conversion involved using a steering rack from a Lancia Thema which was much lower geared and ruined the feel of the car.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3785015)   #3510
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Vauxhall

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavalier.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	717.2 KB
ID:	50796

Here is a Vauxhall.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3785016)   #3511
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Talking more mundane matters .....

Elder daughter had her 10 years old BMW 325D fully valeted ready to sell it.

It been parked up for a week or two since.

Punter came last night at which point they noticed moisture behind the stereo screen and the dash panel is lacking any display.

One wonders what the interior cleaning involved!

Any suggestions about a resolution? Likely challenges to fixing?

It needs an MOT by the 12th and 2 rear tyres (probably) to pass that.

Might be worth £3k working. Is it worth considering fixing it?

If so, what would be the best approach?

Any ideas?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3785017)   #3512
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Attachment 50796

Here is a Vauxhall.
Or as they're now known - a Peugeot!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3785020)   #3513
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Name:	002 (2).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	50797

One of my better early pictures, originally in colour and copy bought by Castrol

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	50798

I have not only driven Vauxhalls

Name:	002 (3).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	50799

A little know Vauxhall Battle Tank.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3785021)   #3514
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Attachment 50797

One of my better early pictures, originally in colour and copy bought by Castrol

Attachment 50798

I have not only driven Vauxhalls

Attachment 50799

A little know Vauxhall Battle Tank.
Door fit looks a bit dodgy on the FIAT Bob.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3785022)   #3515
bauble
Veteran

England

Name:	Mini. 001 (2).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	50800

Yes, it was me.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3785023)   #3516
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Door fit looks a bit dodgy on the FIAT Bob.
Not on my side though.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3785025)   #3517
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not on my side though.
From what I've read on here, people rarely are
Old 4 Dec 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3785028)   #3518
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Following up on my earlier BMW question I just watched a video about changing the battery on a 3 series.

Good grief, what a palaver.

Just what does all that computer stuff in the car really deliver in terms of benefits to the user?

Knowing exactly how to charge the specific battery installed may be very useful but does the technology pay for itself? If not, why bother?

Captive servicing?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3785031)   #3519
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Should have kept the Supermirafiori, Bob- that is, if it hadn’t rusted away while in your ownership....

Grant, that beemer is in a difficult place. It’s new enough to be complicated and unfixable by amateurs, but old enough to an uneconomic repair if fixed by the trade!

You need a local Gordon Streeter, who could at least give you a straight answer to the dilemma.....
Old 4 Dec 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3785038)   #3520
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
From what I've read on here, people rarely are
Et tu Vivo?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3785046)   #3521
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I know the MSA come in for a lot of stick, some of it justified , but (once again) I'm impressed by the licence dept. Un-noticed by me, the Doc incorrectly dated my medical form, rendering it outside the 3 months or whatever to be accepted. The licence dept phoned me to check when it had been done, then emailed in case I needed to contact the doctor for clarification. Fortunately I had a proper receipt correctly dated, so a quick scan and email back to the licencing guys had the job sorted. Thank you, MSA!
You may be impressed, Mike, but I am not.

I received the usual email and paper form for my licence renewal and thought I would do it on line. Turns out that their system is "incompatible with iPhones, iPads and other smart devices".

Really? Give me strength.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3785048)   #3522
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Grant, that beemer is in a difficult place. It’s new enough to be complicated and unfixable by amateurs, but old enough to an uneconomic repair if fixed by the trade!

You need a local Gordon Streeter, who could at least give you a straight answer to the dilemma.....
Totally agree Mike.

That said is does start - just no internal electric to speak of and the indicators don't click as usual.

I suspect it needs systems resets.

It's not been used much for a month. Sat on the drive a week last Saturday apparently with the engine running for about 6 hours whilst it was valeted.

Loads of videos about how temperamental given half an excuse and a how to go about fixing them.

Could be fuse.

Might just be that it thinks the battery is low or something similar.

One Vid I saw worked out that it was the airbag control unit located under the armrest between the front seats! Killed everything with no error codes. Fine when changed. Apparently.

Worse problems to resolve that trying to work out what is wrong with PCs!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3785049)   #3523
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
.........Really? Give me strength.
you don't need strength, you need a proper PC
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3785079)   #3524
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
You may be impressed, Mike, but I am not.

I received the usual email and paper form for my licence renewal and thought I would do it on line. Turns out that their system is "incompatible with iPhones, iPads and other smart devices".

Really? Give me strength.
I noticed that when originally trying to access the site, but like David resorted to Windows or something similar......

Even though the latest ipads, especially the pro, are very good there is still a need for a PC or laptop!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3785081)   #3525
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I noticed that when originally trying to access the site, but like David resorted to Windows or something similar......

Even though the latest ipads, especially the pro, are very good there is still a need for a PC or laptop!

Hmmm, i use a lap top at work but i can bank, pay my vat, order things fron numerous stores, access Ten tenths ( inc replying to this thread) book flights, down load music, watch tv etc etc on an ipad or iphone but the MSA cant cope with “smart devices”. Its the MSA that arent smart.
Closed Thread