Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3806897)   #401
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Part of me wants to pick on McLaren. I think they very much deserve some of the recent grief they are getting (others have pointed out why so no need for me to repeat). But.. I suspect they will get much of this sorted out during testing. So I am not going to pile on with respect to McLaren testing issues.

My allegiance as a fan typically has been in the following order...

1. Specific drivers (Jenson, but he is gone)
2. Honda or Porsche
3. Williams
4. McLaren

Given the above, I am hoping TR does well given the Honda part and still have some love for McLaren, but am sore about them pushing Honda away, so while I want McLaren to improve, I would smile if TR/Honda does better than McLaren.

Richard
Old 8 Mar 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3806902)   #402
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Honda using a brand new engine for each day of testing??

That's the rumour. Interesting if true. Would explain the mileage without incident.

I'm pretty sure everybody does, Ferrari and Red Bull did 188 and 187 laps today
Old 8 Mar 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3806907)   #403
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given teams have been able to put GP distances on engines during a single day, it makes sense to swap engines overnight. I can imagine they would do tear-downs later to examine level of wear to see if it correlates with what they are seeing via internal longevity testing on dynos? Similar to aero rake measurements to help correlate CFD and tunnel test results.

Richard
Old 8 Mar 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3806915)   #404
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Given teams have been able to put GP distances on engines during a single day, it makes sense to swap engines overnight. I can imagine they would do tear-downs later to examine level of wear to see if it correlates with what they are seeing via internal longevity testing on dynos? Similar to aero rake measurements to help correlate CFD and tunnel test results.

Richard
Yep, absolutely. They will have done dyno to destruction on the engines over the winter to correlate 'absolute life's which is the big advantage of engine development. Testing is all about the car and systems, you don't need to be wasting pre season testing on engine life.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3806917)   #405
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
someone on reddit posted a SKY clip of a Mclaren pitstop today.

also dont want to pile on Mclaren's woes but this looked pretty goofy but i guess this is what testing is about.

http://www.skysports.com/iframe/widg...O8gYd1wBVkmUvY
Old 8 Mar 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3806935)   #406
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
someone on reddit posted a SKY clip of a Mclaren pitstop today.

also dont want to pile on Mclaren's woes but this looked pretty goofy but i guess this is what testing is about.

http://www.skysports.com/iframe/widg...O8gYd1wBVkmUvY

Not exactly confidence inspiring!

The new owners of McLaren have stolen Ron's company from him for personal reasons, but now they have it, they seem to lack the direction and commitment necessary for success that Ron brought to the team.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 06:40 (Ref:3806986)   #407
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
That was something else! The guy putting the wheel on the wrong way round! Was like the keystone cops...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Mar 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3806988)   #408
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
That was goofy indeed. The "twins" on the right rear... hilarious!! Trying to put the wheel on back to front!
Old 9 Mar 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3806989)   #409
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then they later dropped it from the rear jack to the ground. Deary me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Mar 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3806996)   #410
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
I'm pretty sure everybody does, Ferrari and Red Bull did 188 and 187 laps today
No, not everybody. For example, the factory Renault team has only used the one single engine so far. That is including the entire 4 days of the first test, and for the first 3 days of the second test. And is likely to use the same engine for the last day of testing today.

Hope I don't get into trouble with the mod's for copyright issues posting this link.
From SkySports F1...

https://youtu.be/9DSztVFhz8c?t=27m18s
Old 9 Mar 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3807005)   #411
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Oh dear, have a guess which car has caused the first red flag of the day, again!
Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3807008)   #412
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Oh dear, have a guess which car has caused the first red flag of the day, again!
STR - Williams - Mercedes??
Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3807012)   #413
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Doesn’t matter - Alonso already said they didn’t need to test today. Better to save some of their dodgy £2 parts for Melbourne...
Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3807015)   #414
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Apparently, there's some Papaya juice on the track at turn 7!!
Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3807017)   #415
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
STR - Williams - Mercedes??
Nope the Honda Engine which wasn’t good enough for McLaren is running, along with the Mercedes Engine which weren’t good enough for McLaren are also running. All 3 Ferrari engines are running still along with Red Bull and Renaults rebault engine are all running
Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3807018)   #416
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People saying it's the lack of cooling on the McLaren that is causing the engine to fail. Seems a bit odd as they would normally have put a new engine in last night so there's no way a single lap this morning would have been enough considering the full GP distance yesterday.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3807026)   #417
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
People saying it's the lack of cooling on the McLaren that is causing the engine to fail. Seems a bit odd as they would normally have put a new engine in last night so there's no way a single lap this morning would have been enough considering the full GP distance yesterday.

last week this already could be seen:

Old 9 Mar 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3807027)   #418
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
last week this already could be seen:

They have already punched a few extra holes in the engine cover to assist cooling.

Gary Anderson made this comment a couple of days ago about McLarens installation:

Quote:
McLaren are pushing the limits on cooling. From the picture above we can see they have added an extra three slots to the one that they were forced to cut into the bodywork last week. There are two brown-ish marks are on both sides of the bodywork so there is something very close to that part of the engine cover - probably the exhausts or turbo and that is of major concern. The exhaust temperatures on these cars runs at around 400-800 degrees centigrade and are wrapped in heat proof insulation. If the temperature cannot be controlled anything near them is vulnerable. To finish first, first you have to finish - so these random reliability problems that McLaren seems to have carried over from the Honda days are of major concern, and now they have no-one but themselves to point the finger at.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3807028)   #419
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
McLaren are changing the engine at the moment: all Honda's fault!
Old 9 Mar 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3807029)   #420
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know all about the cooling issues but you're missing the point (I have and Autosport Plus subscription too ). A lack of cooling doesn't destroy an engine in one lap when the same make of engine in the same car did a full GP distance the day before.

I would be amazed if they hadn't changed the engine overnight given they know they are marginal on cooling so what's causing them to go so quickly?
Old 9 Mar 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3807033)   #421
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Other Renault's are reliable, so it has to be installation issues with McLaren surely?
Old 9 Mar 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3807034)   #422
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
What a absolute legend this man is.. a great selfless act.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...troll-1012990/
Old 9 Mar 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3807035)   #423
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I know all about the cooling issues but you're missing the point (I have and Autosport Plus subscription too ). A lack of cooling doesn't destroy an engine in one lap when the same make of engine in the same car did a full GP distance the day before.

I would be amazed if they hadn't changed the engine overnight given they know they are marginal on cooling so what's causing them to go so quickly?
They are credited with 7 laps this morning, albeit none timed so all in out laps.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3807036)   #424
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'm a McLaren fan, so want to see them do better. Having said that, I was a mechanic / engineer nearly all my working life, so hate to question or diss the team, but.... my general impression is that some of the problems could be 'spanner' related? (Or definitely are, in some examples.) Hope I'm wrong!
Old 9 Mar 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3807055)   #425
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
McLaren say they feel closer with Renault than they did with Honda, so there is hope they can get it sorted.

Not surprised by Kubca's act, what has he got to show by testing on the final day? Give more running to the race drivers