Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1019269)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are MotoGP riders weaker mentally than Superbike riders?

Or is it just the different atmospheres in the paddocks? It seems to me that Superbike riders can take losing better than MotoGP riders. Compare, say Sete after losing to Rossi in MotoGP Catalunya and Assen with Bayliss after losing a whole championship to Edwards at WSBK Imola 2 years ago.

Just something I've wondered - anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?:confused:
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1019286)   #2
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The preasure is higher in GP and so are the money.
More demands.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1019288)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MotoGP is the top echelon of motorcycle racing. The pressure on riders to succeed is immense, and considering Sete is now seen as the great hope of Honda, it would be gut-wrenching to see Rossi level with him on points.

It's not got much to do with mental weakness. No-one likes to lose.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1019470)   #4
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
MotoGP is the top echelon of motorcycle racing. The pressure on riders to succeed is immense, and considering Sete is now seen as the great hope of Honda, it would be gut-wrenching to see Rossi level with him on points.

It's not got much to do with mental weakness. No-one likes to lose.

I see. I guess more money = more pressure to win = more excuses for losing.

Last edited by Yoong Montoya; 28 Jun 2004 at 21:57.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 01:19 (Ref:1019626)   #5
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Rossi is so good that just when you think you are on top of him he rises to another level and destroys you mentally. Sete`s frustration on the weekend was purely shattered. He even can`t beleive how good Rossi is and he is starting to show it. First it was Biaggi and now Sete, Who`s next. Everyone that is an arch rival of Rossi ends up mentally screwed, all the way from 125`s to MotoGP he has left them in his wake.

I agree though that the pressure in MotoGP is much more than WSB. WSB would be like a club event compared to GP racing. They would all shout each other beers after the race. I can`t see them lining up to shout Rossi beers in GP though, More like buying little Rossi voodoo dolls and pins.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1019875)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not entirely sure about that. When Edwards and Bayliss were fighting for the WSBK, Edwards was similar to Sete was on the weekend whenever he came second. Much much happier when winning.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1019890)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember also that MotoGP races are tougher physcially, with bikes that accelerate to obscene levels, the difference between podium and plaster is even thinner, and teh quality of riders around them much higher.

I'm sure Bayliss is suffering emntally mroe now than he did in 2002. At the end of that year he had the consolation of a lucrative MotoGP contract as well.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1020348)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dont think it maytters really what level you are at, either WSB or GP. When you know you have ridden your hardest wnd you dont win it must be gutting.
These guys are built around winning, when they dont they are miserable buggers for days.
Sete is just gutted coz he has treid to sit behind and wait, tried to mix it and now tried to lead from the front and each time Vale has had the answer.
I dont know about anyone else but in theat last lap, I just KNEW Vale was going to win, very rara that!
Same with Doohan most of the time too, but even Mick I dont think was as good in a last lap scrap as Vale! Those 125 and 250 years served him well I think!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1020367)   #9
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, it's a character thing...
Old 29 Jun 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1020374)   #10
65bc
Rookie

65bc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with chunder, that sete who has been riding on that edge for the last 3 races pushing as hard as he can but still cant win
Old 29 Jun 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1020647)   #11
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
Not entirely sure about that. When Edwards and Bayliss were fighting for the WSBK, Edwards was similar to Sete was on the weekend whenever he came second. Much much happier when winning.

Of course he'd be much happier when he won. Every rider is like that. I'm just saying that he always congratulated Troy whenever Troy beat himwhich happened many times in 2002 and vice versa when Colin beat Troy, whereas I've never seen Sete even shake Rossi's hand after any of the last 3 races. I know it's not the easiest thing to take being beaten in a straight fight, but I would like to see Sete at least acknowledge that Rossi did a better job than him on the day when he does lose. That's all.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1021486)   #12
Pitbabe
Racer

England
Grove, Oxfordshire
Pitbabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's tough at the top, isn't it?

I think Sete gets very emotional and finds it hard to hide his disappointment. After that last lap overtaking in Assen, who could blame him, and it was obvious he was feeling totally gutted. I don't think he's got the mental strength to deal with Vale (who has?) and as he said in the past race interview (more or less) "what do I have to do to beat this guy?"
Old 1 Jul 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1022292)   #13
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are yet to see any SBK rider come over and demonstrate any sort of a mental edge on the opposition are we.Anyone that saw Bayliss on RPM about 6 weeks ago would have to agreee that he had the mental strenght of someone rocking about in the fetal position with his thumb in his mouth.He was absolutly shattered with the current performance of the "King of SBK,Ducati"

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 2 Jul 2004, 06:04 (Ref:1023297)   #14
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair, Time is running out for old Troy and after leading races and getting podiums being in 25th after qualifying is a bit harsh.