Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Do you want a F1 Fantasy Championship ?
Absolutely. I would love to run my fantasy team and blow away the opposition ! 18 60.00%
Can't be bothered to try it 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26 Nov 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1775493)   #51
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think a fantasy championship where you not only pick drivers, but engine makers aswell.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 01:00 (Ref:1775535)   #52
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to follow-up on Maxmil's post. I think he was dead on as far as explaining the "fun" in guessing the pole winner and the top eight finishers. I really do enjoy that.

I think that the pick 'em competition as it stands is good. The difficulty has been - and I mean no offense to anyone - is that no one will really take charge of it and make it run well. This is because most of you, like me, have other commitments and can't always devote the time so this has often been done by committtee.

Two seasons ago (I think) Kicking-back ran the competition. He used a standard format where we entered our predictions and they were dipsatched to K-B. One could choose to post the predictions in the thread, but the form made it easy and the competition a bit more difficult as your predictions really were you own - you couldn't compare yours to those of a more successful competitor (which in my case meant comparing to just about anyone elses'!). Results were typically available very shortly after the race and so were the overall standings. It really made the whole thing "immediate" and youreally felt you were in a competiton. K-B did a terrific job and I believe that for the British GP he enticed/cajoled/promoted his way to the largest number of entries ever for any single race.

I tend to lose interest because I have not always gotten results timely - again no knock on anyone as I certainly have not been brave enough to take this on.

Just my two cents...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1776160)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I can guarantee the main predictions comp will be run dedicatedly by myself. Results will be in on race day when possible, provided there is no major hassle on the main forum. Certainly, by the evening at the latest.

The contest won't be radically different I don't think, judging by the responses here. The basic core will be retained, but it will be tweaked slightly. Nothing too major I don't think, unless someone comes up with something blinding. Maybe just a couple of extra things to guess, like fastest lap or whatever will be thrown in. But there are a few months left yet.

Do we have to predict the top eight? Can this be lengthened to top ten, or shortened to top six? Quite honestly, top eight seems the most logical for obvious reasons. Top ten would expand scoring possibilities, but is perhaps too much effort. Top six makes no sense, particularly as F1 tends to have the same teams filling the top six slots every race!

The competition will also be promoted a little better. It does seem to have got lost a little recently. However, you are fairly limited in how you can do this. I don't want to fill inboxes with PM's about the competition for example. Certainly, I think a link in the main F1 forum will be introduced, whether it be in the race weekend/preview thread or hot topic link.

Also, with no fans competition it will be more straightforward. The second competition (if there is to be one) will be this proposed fantasy league. And that does not require regular maintenance from contestants, as it is up to the user how much input they have over the season. You can feasibly do nothing all year, like I lazily did in Champcar fantasy league this season!

KB ran it very well, certainly. If we can get to a similar level, I'll be pleased!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 27 Nov 2006 at 21:43.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1776176)   #54
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great ! There's a tradition over our comp after all and I'm glad Knowlesy wants to keep the ball rolling. I for one have lost that "magic feeling" problably due to my pragmatic character, but I'm ready to help in anything necessary.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1776242)   #55
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
KB ran it very well, certainly. If we can get to a similar level, I'll be pleased!
Whatever happened to KB anyway? He still around?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1776510)   #56
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kicking back mysteriously dissapeared from tenths a while ago and then a few months ago came back for about a week or so. Now though he is gone and there is no trace he was ever here, indeed I cant even find his user name in the member directory...
Old 29 Nov 2006, 00:21 (Ref:1777066)   #57
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
His presence is shrouded in mystery...
Old 29 Nov 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1777635)   #58
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really ? Actually he didn't pay his subscribing for this site... That's a mystery.

Like the closing of this thread if we don't get back on topic...
Old 29 Nov 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1777973)   #59
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he just didn't confirm his e-mail after changing it and hence he is not on the list. If he confirms it, it he is back.

Anyways, forget that, it is irrelevant. We have 19 interested in fantasy league (including hakkiman!). A lot of disinterest too it seems, but if those interested can back up their interest by playing, it should work.

Meanwhile, keep your suggestions coming for the predictions comp!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 29 Nov 2006 at 18:38.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 23:49 (Ref:1778188)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yep, 18 x 12... not very exciting. But maybe it works.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1779065)   #61
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
19 against 12 you mean Bononi? Hakkiman is in favour of the competition. 19 players should be more than enough, its more than we get for several other Championships here on ten-tenths such as the DTM predictions competition and Moto GP predictions.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1779133)   #62
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
Bring back slicks and ban refuelling!

Here here!

200L of guzzoline (purchased from the local filling station/supermarket by the FIA and delivered to the team in used Chip Oil cans) , and four types of boot. Hard, harder, very hard, and nylon castors - but all slicks. In the rain, they can run road tyres.

No flappy paddle gearboxes. H-gate shifts with no more than 5 gears.

And no more than 500Kg downforce.

On a serious note, I do feel that Slicks should return to F1, and refuelling should be banned. The amount of fuel should be reduced each year to encourage engine builders to develop more fuel efficient engines, which also keeps a cap on power outputs, and to some extent, downforce (by reducing drag due to extra downforce increasing drag which in turn increases fuel consumption - too much downforce = DNF ran out of fuel)
Let's see some of these super fit drivers pushing their car the last few hundred metres to get to the line!

Oh, yes, and self starters, so you don't need half of the IT department to make it go.

Rob.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1779430)   #63
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
19 against 12 you mean Bononi? Hakkiman is in favour of the competition. 19 players should be more than enough, its more than we get for several other Championships here on ten-tenths such as the DTM predictions competition and Moto GP predictions.
"18 x 12" is what the poll says. And this is the F1 forum, the biggest one in the site, so it doesn't mean it's more than enough and we're not refering to others competitions.
What I'm pointing is, actually how much excitement it can bring to our regulars, pretty much what JohnSSC pointed out.
But as Knowlesy said that this kind of comp is very easy to run and almost nothing to manage and it would be running as a "B" comp second to the main one, I don't see it as an issue really.

Anyway, the F1 mod team will discuss this one before anything become official.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1779636)   #64
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yep, precisely Bon.

Although it's 19 against 11, if I aim to nitpick here guys.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1779763)   #65
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would be interested to take part in an F1 competition, be it fantasy league or predcitions like last year. It does not really matter which competition it is
Old 2 Dec 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1780329)   #66
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to have come fairly (or very, depending on how accurate you like to be) late to this discussion, but I'd be happy to have a go at a fantasy league in addition to the predictions comp. I must admit to having a soft spot for the Fan's Comp, but that's probably only because I finished second overall in my first go at it!

I've no idea how a fantasy league works, but I'm sure I'd have enough interest to have a decent crack at it!
Old 3 Dec 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1780879)   #67
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Guys, thank you for your input.

The F1 mod team will be discussing the arrangements of how the comps should be run and other details. We will return to you in a new thread for more information and ideas in some time in the next weeks.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1808309)   #68
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

A decision has been made regarding the fantasy league, so check out the F1 announcement at the top of the F1 forum page!
Closed Thread