Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4084408)   #401
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I hope you did adjust the rim brakes for Iain, I seem to remember that he is hard on them!
As Michael Delaney said. "brakes are good but watch out for the Green Lola"
Old 19 Nov 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4084422)   #402
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
There's a point at 7 000 RPM… When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4084427)   #403
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
As Michael Delaney said. "brakes are good but watch out for the Green Lola"
Found this today, Iain;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9043.JPG  
Old 20 Nov 2021, 05:36 (Ref:4084478)   #404
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice pic, Bob, well done again and the car is green, fabulous!

Not sure its a Lola tho…
Old 20 Nov 2021, 07:04 (Ref:4084482)   #405
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice pic, Bob, well done again and the car is green, fabulous!

Not sure its a Lola tho…
Lotus, Lola, you know Iain's spelling it none too good.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4084835)   #406
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you for the photo Bob. Jim Woodley Lotus 17. Jim and Lotus very much missed. If you have any more I would love to see them. Cant go public but will email you tomorrow and tell you why.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4084836)   #407
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
30 miles clocked up today on my new Cirrus Cycles bike. Lovely weather.Click image for larger version

Name:	Cirrus Cycles E Bay Bike.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	72245
Old 1 Dec 2021, 20:47 (Ref:4086194)   #408
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
My very good friend Alan Morgan from Cirrus Cycles sorted out and serviced my day to day Specialized bike last week., We put on very good tires for the winter trips to and from work. Just 3 miles out last night and schewssssssssss. Looks like a nail.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Punture.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	72516
Old 1 Dec 2021, 20:53 (Ref:4086196)   #409
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Looks like a gauge to check the rubber thickness, Iain. Not surpised to see you run on slicks even at winter time!
Old 3 Jan 2022, 16:36 (Ref:4092340)   #410
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appplications for the Fred Whitton Challenge open tomorrow. I'm planning to apply for the ballot, along with a couple of the Historic FF2000 drivers - we're going to ride as a team. It's 180km with 3200m of climbing (that's 112 miles and 10,500 feet, Baub).

https://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk/

If we're "lucky enough" to get an entry I'm planning to use MTB shoes with SPD cleats to make the walking easier.

https://youtu.be/Pt7ttV4Ytlk

Oh - and the other guys are much younger than me... Just saying.
Old 10 May 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4109594)   #411
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Well - the Fred Whitton Challenge took place last Sunday and, despite feeling very under-trained, the three of us managed to complete it. 112 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing (180km/3600m). It was a great event and the support from the spectators through the villages and at the tops of the climbs was a real inspiration - it felt like being on a Grand Tour.

I love that last image, taken on Newlands Pass - the more you zoom in, the more you see.

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 10 May 2022 at 18:10.
Old 10 May 2022, 18:40 (Ref:4109598)   #412
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Alan.
Old 10 May 2022, 19:27 (Ref:4109602)   #413
bauble
Veteran

England
Who took that last picture, Alan: Rogic or Pogacar?
Old 11 May 2022, 12:47 (Ref:4109656)   #414
bauble
Veteran

England
Found this on the Tube, Alan, it may be of interest, and you might even figure yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNGth8J1s0

Well done, I would have relished that in my younger days, I was always a fool for a challenge. You can feel proud of your achievement, I know I would have.

Bob.

Carapaz, Yates, or? Who is your pick?
Old 11 May 2022, 12:50 (Ref:4109658)   #415
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, very interesting. It's amazing the things you can do on a bike and of course it's very much fun to do if you're young. Although I steered clear of all that, but fair play to them for doing that well
Old 12 May 2022, 07:37 (Ref:4109714)   #416
Alan Morgan
Veteran

The second half of that video really illustrates the great atmosphere of the event. There were spectators throughout the route, cheering, clanging cowbells and shouting encouragement. Oh - and I didn't manage to cycle all the way up Hardknott. The pictures don't show how steep it is at the bottom by the cattle grid. One of the guys I was with cramped up on Hardknott, fell off his bike and lay by the side of the road literally screaming in agony. A bit of salt in his drink sorted him out after a few minutes.

On Sunday evening I was saying "never again" but now I'm thinking about how I would change my training if I did it again. In fact, I'm thinking of volunteering to marshal in 2023 as it guarantees you a place in the heavily-oversubscribed event the following year.

I think Carapaz is in with a good shout. He's keeping his head down and getting on with it. It would be nice to see Yates win though...
Old 12 May 2022, 09:44 (Ref:4109727)   #417
bauble
Veteran

England
Alan, having to walk up Hardknott, must feel like a stone in your shoe, a constant 'nag'. I bet you will not rest easy until you crack it. However, it does look like a pretty formidable climb, so unless one is of Pantani like build, it is going to take a lot of hard miles put in before next year.

It does make you wonder just what sort of sadist would plan such an event
Old 12 May 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4109748)   #418
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Have a look at this video of an inexperienced guy attempting the climb. The fun starts about 1 minute in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfsoR_u5Pw
Old 15 May 2022, 22:00 (Ref:4110126)   #419
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Carapaz impressed me today Baub...
Old 15 May 2022, 22:27 (Ref:4110127)   #420
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Carapaz impressed me today Baub...
I was a little surprised that he did not win on his own, but there is a long ay to go, and there is no need to go all out unecessarily. I think he was concentrating on not loosing time. Yates often has trouble strining together a consistent Gran Tour performance, I can see him winning a couple of mountain stages before the end.

Great ride by Lopez to hang on to the jersey, and Rosa taking the KOM jersey.

What a sport it is.
Old 16 May 2022, 14:22 (Ref:4110227)   #421
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Carapaz is smart enough to know when he needs the help, he has that tactical brain. To finish first as they say. It's important to keep a consistent pace. Others have trouble with that. We'll see what happens for the rest of it. Although Lopez and Rosa will be tough to beat, but it should make for an entertaining event.

Yes it is a great sport, one for the gladiators
Old 16 May 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4110293)   #422
Alan Morgan
Veteran

I'm going to be out of the country for most of the rest of the Giro but I'm hoping to keep in touch with what's going on.
Old 16 May 2022, 20:49 (Ref:4110295)   #423
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://fb.watch/d2szdtcGbE/

Historic cycling...
Old 18 May 2022, 13:36 (Ref:4110478)   #424
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Careful with those Prosecco corks kids! Feel for Girmay after a bizarre accident.
Old 18 May 2022, 18:55 (Ref:4110498)   #425
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Careful with those Prosecco corks kids! Feel for Girmay after a bizarre accident.
Thats a horrible turnaround... talk about hero to zero in a heartbeat .

Quote:
Eritrean Girmay became the first Black African to win a stage of one of cycling's Grand Tours when he outsprinted Netherlands' Mathieu van der Poel in the 10th stage of the Giro between Pescara and Jesi.
However, the 22-year-old had to abandon the race after a prosecco cork exploded into his left eye on the podium.
According to his Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert team doctor Piet Daneels, Girmay suffered a hemorrhage in the anterior chamber of his eye and has been recommended to avoid physical activity.
"Our priority is a complete healing of the injury and that's why we decided together with the rider and the sports director that Biniam will not appear at the start of the 11th stage," said Daneels.
more: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/18/s...ntl/index.html

Last edited by E.B; 18 May 2022 at 19:00.