Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jan 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4092813)   #1
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Pomeroy Trophy meeting 19th Feb

This brilliant VSCC event has now opened its doors to sports racing, GT & Touring cars even if they are not road registered or road legal. These cars can run on race tyres including slicks / wets. 3 timed tests in the morning (Slalom, sprint, brake test) then 3 x 40 mins in the pm on the full GP circuit - with these cars running in the last 'fast' session. This alone is worth the minimal entry fee. Its a super competitive and convivial meeting at Silverstone when nothing else is going on and is a cracking one day season starter.
This new class will be celebrating and competing for the Gordon Spice Trophy. We have already entered our Grp2 BMW CSL, Rover SD1 and an ex Gordon Spice 3L Capri. Below is the press release from the VSCC but please do PM / call me (01763 274100) if you have any trouble trying to enter or just need more info.

From the VSCC.....

There is perhaps no other event that captures the imagination and ethos of the Vintage Sports-Car Club better than the legendary Pomeroy Trophy. It is a unique event, in which the speed and agility of pre-war cars are pitted against those of newer road cars in a single day event on the Grand Prix circuit at Silverstone, in the quest to find the best touring car.
19th February 2022 heralds the 66th ‘Pom’. The concept was first mooted by Harry Bowler in 1949, but due to petrol rationing the first Pom took place on 22 March 1952.
Over the course of the day, competitors will take part in a timed slalom, a straight-line acceleration test and a brake test, all followed by the killer ingredient; a 40-minute session on the full Grand Prix circuit in the afternoon (run in 3 speed graded groups). This is not a race but an exercise in trying to complete a pre-determined number of laps in your car based on your car’s age and specification.
For 2022, the Pomeroy Trophy will include a class aimed predominantly at touring cars from the 70’s through to the 90’s but any car; road or race, new or old, will be considered, as for this class the requirement for all cars to have current road tax paid is removed. In deference to the recently departed Gordon Spice this class will be contested in his name with a trophy for the winner. Basic requirements for the touring race cars will be in line with normal race regulations, so operational lights and safety equipment and usual silencing, with an allowance for slicks or wets.
On that basis all cars from Motor Racing Legend’s Touring car and Tony Dron events, as well as Goodwood Gerry Marshall cars will be eligible to enter, along with any 60’s GT or touring cars running on race spec tyres e.g., Dunlop – L’s or M’s or equivalent Avons. The main difference this year, as mentioned above, is that there is not a requirement to be road legal or have a V5C. These cars will not be eligible for the overall Pomeroy Trophy (which is specifically for road legal cars) but they will be competing for the inaugural Gordon Spice Cup.
In an age where track time has become ever more expensive, why not enter our 2022 event? It’s a great opportunity to lightly test your winter works, it’s something different and more importantly it’s a really fun day out with an eclectic mix of cars and people. The entry fee is £195 (£145 for pre-1940’s cars) for 40 minutes on the historic GP circuit, and there’s a point to it because it’s seriously competitive!
The VSCC has already received entries from two Group 2 touring cars running on slicks and rather poignantly, an ex-Gordon Spice Group 1 Ford Capri. Please put your entries in ASAP so we can gauge how best to entertain and support this exciting new dynamic.
Cars can be either driven or trailered to the event.
The car which wins the ‘Pom’ is always a true all-rounder driven by a great driver, so why not join us and see how you and your favourite car fairs?
Entry Form: CLICK HERE
Regulations: CLICK HERE

I'm not sure if these links above will work as I've just copied and pasted, if not, this will be sorted shortly.
PBE.

Edit: This link will take you to the entry form. https://www.vscc.co.uk/page/events?eventID=1735

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 8 Jan 2022 at 12:36. Reason: Added links to Entry Forms
Old 7 Jan 2022, 21:28 (Ref:4092829)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the heads-up Patrick, i doubt the 'Pom' neds any introduction here, but just in case;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0068.JPG   _MG_0170.JPG   IMG_0508.JPG  

IMG_0170.JPG   _MG_0186.JPG   _MG_0083.JPG  

Old 7 Jan 2022, 21:39 (Ref:4092831)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And;
Attached Thumbnails
346.JPG   380.JPG   Pomeroy 2010 031.JPG  

387.JPG   419.JPG   421.JPG  

Old 8 Jan 2022, 12:13 (Ref:4092882)   #4
PBE
Rookie

Great Photos Bauble!
they show the very diverse nature of typical entrants.....
Old 8 Jan 2022, 13:37 (Ref:4092889)   #5
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who will be driving the 3 cars Pat?
Old 8 Jan 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4092900)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Who will be driving the 3 cars Pat?
If I know PBE, P will drive one, B another, and E the third,
Old 8 Jan 2022, 17:18 (Ref:4092901)   #7
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
It's an event I've been reading about for decades , invariably in Motor Sport . Despite the long trip, I'm tempted to see it first hand. Is it 'access all areas ' for non competing civilians, like the Classic ?
Old 8 Jan 2022, 21:33 (Ref:4092929)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It's an event I've been reading about for decades , invariably in Motor Sport . Despite the long trip, I'm tempted to see it first hand. Is it 'access all areas ' for non competing civilians, like the Classic ?
It's 'access all areas'. Would certainly suggest a trip.
Old 9 Jan 2022, 15:45 (Ref:4092991)   #9
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Same here, only 2 and half hours for me, I trying to summon up the courage to attend Sillystone in February. I usually spectate a rally stage meeting at Goodwood in February but Silverstone is another level entirely
Old 9 Jan 2022, 16:47 (Ref:4092995)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Same here, only 2 and half hours for me, I trying to summon up the courage to attend Sillystone in February. I usually spectate a rally stage meeting at Goodwood in February but Silverstone is another level entirely
You take your chance;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0154.JPG   IMG_0878.JPG   IMG_9715.JPG  

IMG_3115.JPG   _MG_0010.JPG   _MG_0015.JPG  

Old 9 Jan 2022, 16:52 (Ref:4092996)   #11
bauble
Veteran

England
It is a great event no matter the weather, and the bar and diner are always open.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0288.JPG   IMG_3580 (2).JPG   _MG_0202.JPG  

_MG_0213.JPG   _MG_0071.JPG   IMG_3601.jpg  

Old 6 Feb 2022, 18:33 (Ref:4097590)   #12
PBE
Rookie

So I have just entered the Group 2 Rover SD1 running on slicks. The entry list already looks pretty strong with over a 100 cars. The new Gordon Spice Trophy which negates the need to be road legal or comply with any of the Pom specific rules regarding luggage capacity or need for 2 seats or spare wheel etc seems to be attracting interest which is fabulous. Looking at the current entry list I can see all sorts of brilliantly eclectic cars coming to join us for the day.....

Lola T70, GT40, LW E Type,Elva Courier, Alpine A110, Lotus Cortina,Nissan Skyline, Lotus Elan, Rover BRM, BMW CSL, 911's, Austin A35, 964RS, AM Vantage.

Do remember all the morning test are solo and the 40 min circuit action in the PM is gridded in slow, medium and fast 40 min sessions. It's one of those great one day events where you turn up, get scruted, have a barrel of on track laughs and get back home in time for evening telly & takeaway. At £190 odd quid its got to be the best value competitive track sport events on the UK's GP circuit I can think off.
The VSCC are still taking entries, see the link which Peter Mallett kindly added to my initial post or PM me and I will email you an entry form.

This event for me has always been the season starter and great opportunity to prove the winter works, get my head into racing again and most importantly, have a huge laugh with like minded mates.
Old 7 Feb 2022, 13:45 (Ref:4097674)   #13
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be at Snetterton for the Circuit Rally, but my youngest will be at Silverstone, avec Nikon; there's some lovely cars on that entry list ...
Old 7 Feb 2022, 14:15 (Ref:4097677)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
I will be at Snetterton for the Circuit Rally, but my youngest will be at Silverstone, avec Nikon; there's some lovely cars on that entry list ...
I shall be recovering from eye surgery, so will not be seeing you there.

I am sure my friends will supply pictures to post here.
Old 7 Feb 2022, 15:40 (Ref:4097687)   #15
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I shall be recovering from eye surgery, so will not be seeing you there.
Aah ....but will you still be at Silverstone?
Old 13 Feb 2022, 06:56 (Ref:4098464)   #16
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope you all a good day out. Sadly I won't be joining you as I too shall be back in hospital.
Old 13 Feb 2022, 13:30 (Ref:4098491)   #17
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that Mike, I'm Clerking and would've liked to catch up with you.
Take it easy mate.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 12:35 (Ref:4098611)   #18
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there with my camera - as long as Covid doesn't catch-up with me.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 07:32 (Ref:4098743)   #19
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The jury is out on my attendance , given the forecast .
Old 15 Feb 2022, 11:39 (Ref:4098787)   #20
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A large spanner appears to have been thrown into the works for some with the requirement that the suitcases now have to be within the silhouette of the car and no more external racks allowed. That ruling will increase the level of starting penalties extensively.
Old 18 Feb 2022, 08:02 (Ref:4099223)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
A large spanner appears to have been thrown into the works for some with the requirement that the suitcases now have to be within the silhouette of the car and no more external racks allowed. That ruling will increase the level of starting penalties extensively.
I thought this was always the case.
Old 18 Feb 2022, 11:11 (Ref:4099260)   #22
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm "competing" in Toyota's "Parallel Pom" taking place in the paddock.
Old 18 Feb 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4099261)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good luck to all.
Old 18 Feb 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4099286)   #24
PBE
Rookie

Thanks Peter.
The suitcase rule change has been something I've been trying to get changed for years. It hugely levels the playing field and puts the event closer to what Pomeroy was trying to achieve when he invented the event in the 50's.
It actually makes it much harder for a well driven vintage hot rod 1500 Nash (or similar) adorned with makeshift luggage racks and hoods to be able to take overall victory which is basically a slam dunk at the moment with the previous rules
Hopefully going forward this will mean a few more different types of car can claim the overall Pom Trophy which I feel is important to the future success of the event.
Should be great fun if the wing hasn't been blown away in today's storms!
Definitely running wets on the SD1.....
Old 18 Feb 2022, 15:30 (Ref:4099308)   #25
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a link to the programme

https://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccMedia/29272.pdf

See you tomorrow