Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Sep 2021, 00:17 (Ref:4072225)   #51
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Interesting, the ACT Council of Motor Clubs usually holds their big multi club car show 'WHEELS' on the lawns of Old Parliament House, right next to where the old GMC race track went - but this year due to the lawns being innundated with water from storms, the event was held at Equestrian Park, the horse racing track. While only a static event the event was very well received, had good parking for visitors lots of shade and covered areas plus great coffee, food and drink concessions and looks like being used again in the future. Now to get the cars moving....

(sorry for the late reply!)
Wheels hasn't been held in Can'tberra for some years due to the attitude of the anti car, local-yokel, gummint...

https://cartorque.co/car-shows/shann...-2021-nsw-5737
Old 8 Sep 2021, 00:20 (Ref:4072558)   #52
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Something like that.. makes sense to enable a sporting venue for multiple types of entertainment.

Horse racing dont use their tracks every single week for racing, morning trackwork not withstanding, while motor racing dont use them that regularly either...

You could use common grandstands, hospitality areas, carparks, comfort stop amenities and the like...

So.. who has the vision.. ?
Just like Poke-a-kiwi?...that has been a decades long, constant battle between the Horsey types and the Motorsport fraternity...
Old 8 Sep 2021, 02:35 (Ref:4072566)   #53
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eastern Creek (SMP) is in full time use as is Wakefield Park. Try and book some time on those tracks and you will see what I mean.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 03:35 (Ref:4072717)   #54
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Eastern Creek (SMP) is in full time use as is Wakefield Park. Try and book some time on those tracks and you will see what I mean.
With a lot of Track Days and other activities rather than race meetings...
Old 9 Sep 2021, 08:23 (Ref:4072739)   #55
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
With a lot of Track Days and other activities rather than race meetings...
And the problem with that is?
Old 10 Sep 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4072881)   #56
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
And the problem with that is?
Just sayin...you build race tracks for raisen...all the other activities are just ancillary to their primary purpose (if ya get me drift?)...
Old 10 Sep 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4072936)   #57
Casper
Veteran

They first have to be a viable business, these days racing comes second and cash flow first unfortunately. No cash flow no racing circuit.
Old 10 Sep 2021, 22:26 (Ref:4072992)   #58
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
They first have to be a viable business, these days racing comes second and cash flow first unfortunately. No cash flow no racing circuit.
Ohhhhhhhhh, Financial Viability 101...are you saying Race Meetings generally run at a loss? I doubt it!

[last comment in this vein/vane!]
Old 11 Sep 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4073016)   #59
Casper
Veteran

Do you think that they run at such a profit the circuit needs no additional income to be viable.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 15:44 (Ref:4073100)   #60
The IC
Racer

Australia
The IC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone interested, I mocked up the track based on that CarsGuide map to see it in action while testing/learning a few 3D modelling workflows

Event planning permission hurdles aside, the track itself would need a lot of construction work...every road inside EPIC is only 6m wide (plus the road between the proposed T4 and 5 is dirt), I bumped those up to around 9m for this

There's several safety related issues I'm not sure how they would be addressed either, other than extensive demolition and repositioning of things... T1+2 combo, T6 intersection at Morisset Rd and Flemington Rd with the light rail immediately next to it, and the final two corners going through the main gate of EPIC in particular...

Still, was a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQSbCsyhgIA
Old 11 Sep 2021, 21:21 (Ref:4073157)   #61
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just sayin...you build race tracks for raisen...all the other activities are just ancillary to their primary purpose (if ya get me drift?)...
Financially race meetings are the “ancillary” part in the viability of most race circuits.If you look at somewhere like Eastern Creek they take up way less than half of circuit usage.
As for their profitability that depends on how much the circuit owners can charge the groups hiring the circuit or how much competitor entry fees they collect if they are running the meeting themselves.You need to be turning a profit with 0 spectators.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 22:10 (Ref:4073171)   #62
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Financially race meetings are the “ancillary” part in the viability of most race circuits.If you look at somewhere like Eastern Creek they take up way less than half of circuit usage.
As for their profitability that depends on how much the circuit owners can charge the groups hiring the circuit or how much competitor entry fees they collect if they are running the meeting themselves.You need to be turning a profit with 0 spectators.
Circular argument alert!

Yes and you could build an airstrip but just rent it out for Motorsport...the possibilities are endless!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 23:16 (Ref:4073495)   #63
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IC View Post
For anyone interested, I mocked up the track based on that CarsGuide map to see it in action while testing/learning a few 3D modelling workflows

Event planning permission hurdles aside, the track itself would need a lot of construction work...every road inside EPIC is only 6m wide (plus the road between the proposed T4 and 5 is dirt), I bumped those up to around 9m for this

There's several safety related issues I'm not sure how they would be addressed either, other than extensive demolition and repositioning of things... T1+2 combo, T6 intersection at Morisset Rd and Flemington Rd with the light rail immediately next to it, and the final two corners going through the main gate of EPIC in particular...

Still, was a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQSbCsyhgIA
A very good effort at such short notice. What software title were you running when you made the video?
Old 13 Sep 2021, 03:45 (Ref:4073530)   #64
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven’t been here for a while but my 2 cents worth.

If anyone has been to the Nats you will know this is a great ready built location for all facilities. The proposed track is not the worst location and could be workable in parts, largely away from joe public and their beloved tram but it would impact a fair amount on the NIMBYs.

EPIC (Canberra showground) roads are tiny so major works required inside and also to some of the existing facilities, but not the worst thing that could happen to the place. It’s old.

Purpose built pits inside EPIC along Flemington road would work.

Grandstand and viewing areas, plenty of room for earth mounds and covered temp stands.

All in all, this proposal has merit but the cash to get it up and running would be stopped by the greens who helped kill our last event. As well as the weather, this would have to be between October and March to get the best Canberra weather.

Wakefield is going through its own issues with NIMBYS complaining about noise. There will be the same issues at EPIC because the locals really don’t like summernats.

I hope they work on it and it becomes a reality.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 05:49 (Ref:4073541)   #65
The IC
Racer

Australia
The IC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
A very good effort at such short notice. What software title were you running when you made the video?
Cheers. All been modeled in 3dsMAX (been using that for 19 years now) and then put into Assetto Corsa, driving the 911 GT3 Cup car from one of the official Porsche DLC addons for it.

If I get time I'll try and do a revision of it to sort some of the safety issues and a proper pitlane of some sort, then get the AI working and see if its decent for actual racing. I've been trying to look at it from a feasibility point of view, rather than just going bonkers.

I'm not 100% clued up on what they can and can't do for street circuits, but in my head the whole point of a street circuit was that you didn't want to do anything extensive or permanent to keep costs down...but then we also have Townsville which seems to be 2/3 of a permanent racetrack anyway
Old 14 Sep 2021, 02:43 (Ref:4073756)   #66
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IC View Post
Cheers. All been modeled in 3dsMAX (been using that for 19 years now) and then put into Assetto Corsa, driving the 911 GT3 Cup car from one of the official Porsche DLC addons for it.

If I get time I'll try and do a revision of it to sort some of the safety issues and a proper pitlane of some sort, then get the AI working and see if its decent for actual racing. I've been trying to look at it from a feasibility point of view, rather than just going bonkers.

I'm not 100% clued up on what they can and can't do for street circuits, but in my head the whole point of a street circuit was that you didn't want to do anything extensive or permanent to keep costs down...but then we also have Townsville which seems to be 2/3 of a permanent racetrack anyway

Sounds really good. The event organisers might through you a few sovereigns to sort it and make a video so they can use it to showcase to potential sponsors
Old 16 Sep 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4074275)   #67
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wow! It could be Carbon Neutral (until the Flag drops!)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...k-to-canberra/
Old 19 Sep 2021, 01:22 (Ref:4074576)   #68
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
A positive report re the race...

https://the-riotact.com/is-canberra-...s-again/494980
Old 19 Sep 2021, 03:12 (Ref:4074606)   #69
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
If the opposition got rid of the race all those years ago then it will be a lot stronger today so don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Motor sport is niche and has become more niche in the last 20 years so the support in the ACT for this event will be small at best.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4074735)   #70
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Auditors Report

For those who might be interested...sad auditors report from Canberra 400...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Canberra 400 Audit Report_5_02.pdf (704.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 20 Sep 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4074764)   #71
Casper
Veteran

For some reason I can't read that PDF, it asks me to sign in when I already have then refuses to accept the new sign in.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 23:10 (Ref:4074857)   #72
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
For some reason I can't read that PDF, it asks me to sign in when I already have then refuses to accept the new sign in.
It opens for me on this site...maybe check your PDF reader version etc...I have Adobe, Acrobat Reader...
Old 21 Sep 2021, 00:12 (Ref:4074861)   #73
Casper
Veteran

Two different computers and neither opens it and both using AA for PDF's. Such is life.
Old 21 Sep 2021, 05:35 (Ref:4074878)   #74
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Two different computers and neither opens it and both using AA for PDF's. Such is life.
My (AppleMac) laptop wont open it but it will download it (as a .pdf) so I was then able to open it that way once downloaded to the computer
Old 21 Sep 2021, 08:50 (Ref:4074885)   #75
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
My (AppleMac) laptop wont open it but it will download it (as a .pdf) so I was then able to open it that way once downloaded to the computer
PDF downloaded OK for me on my desktop EB.
Reading it makes you realise the sort of operator TC was at the time.
The use of "interesting" income and spending distribution ratios and figures in those days was reaching a fairly unbelievable level.
Must admit to using earlier, and less optimistic figures ( and truly believing them) in a much earlier life back in the early 70s.
They certainly don't stand up to auditing by National Treasury.
Personally I doubt if Supercars (or any development thereof) would convince any Government to under-write an event these days unless it was backed by significant political influence and a very good business case.