Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Nov 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3865722)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Change @ Mallory Park

I was @ Mallory yesterday for a Javelin Trackday, and noticed that some changes are being made to the armco between the Elbow and the Pedestrian Bridge. It's where the old Rallycross track, which was gravel left the track on the outside, alongside the grid.
The Armco is being brought in to be much closer to the track in what will be a straight line all the way along to the bridge.
Back there in a fortnight - Javelin again, so will see how it's going.
Attached Thumbnails
Mallory Elbow.jpg  
Old 25 Nov 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3865762)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I was @ Mallory yesterday for a Javelin Trackday, and noticed that some changes are being made to the armco between the Elbow and the Pedestrian Bridge. It's where the old Rallycross track, which was gravel left the track on the outside, alongside the grid.
The Armco is being brought in to be much closer to the track in what will be a straight line all the way along to the bridge.
Back there in a fortnight - Javelin again, so will see how it's going.
I suppose that is toi minimise the risk of something going off on the outside and hitting the bridge head on.

In that respect is seems like a good idea although perhaps makes the track a bit of a tunnel.

From a spectator POV the openess of the view from the main viewing areas seems likely to be a compromised at least a little, especially from the car parking area but it may not be too different to now.

If the current spectator fence is left where it is the open view from the track level pathway will be eliminated. I doubt they could move the spectator fence down towards the track behind the new armco line ... but they might. There is a small area in the paddock that historically has always been restricted in the years I have been visiting but was open for access this year.

Looking forward to your next update!
Old 25 Nov 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3865802)   #3
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear that - Mallory is my favourite track and closest to where I live but it can be hair raising to drive or to marshal. The danger at that point is someone losing control right at the exit of the Devils Elbow and doing an exit stage left straight at the Armco where it comes back in to go under the bridge. Mainly a problem in the wet.

Of course the real safety gain would be if Mallory could widen the bridge itself or how about a vehicle bridge or how about paddock on the outside of the track...…. all too much money I would think. We'll just have to love the place for what it is! Hope they've got more car race meetings than last couple of years but club calendars out so far don't seem to show much enthusiasm for going there I'm afraid.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3865833)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post

Hope they've got more car race meetings than last couple of years but club calendars out so far don't seem to show much enthusiasm for going there I'm afraid.

I think they may still be battling the planning authorities but perhaps The Fat Controller, as a local, can provide some more background.

I'm not at all sure it would be technically feasible to build a bridge that would take the weight of the largest vehicles using the paddock at any remotely close to an economic cost.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3865843)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you say, for at least the near future we've got to work with what we've got.

An issue with any car club trying to book a date @ the circuit is that the people who run it are 'Bike' people hence the Pirelli & Metzler trucks always parked there.

There is a strong chance that Eurocar's will be there next year though, running the same way as everyone else does.

A confirmed date is June 16th for Richard Culverhouse's Classic & Modern Motorsport Club, running for it's third year.
It will be run by the BRSCC though, as all the Senior Officials, myself included will be @ Silverstone's MG Live event.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 25 Nov 2018 at 20:56.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3866043)   #6
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure it will be Eurocar, but have heard that the Pickups will run on the oval twice next year.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3866047)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Thinking about it, wasn't the short circuit the reason that the barrier was so far back there in the first place, giving more run off on the exit back onto the start/finish straight?
(Mind you, if they only run that configuration anti-clockwise now, it's not a problem).
Old 26 Nov 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3866048)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had only ever driving small single seaters at Mallory. One day over 20 years ago now I got asked to test a Wheatcroft F2 car. Did a few warm up laps then lit her up coming out of hairpin round the left hander which was always flat in a FF2000 or F3 car. There I was spinning all the way down the main straight. The owner was not to impressed.happy days. Convinced him it was a duff damper.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3866085)   #9
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a similar experience about 7-8 years ago(????) Just after they resurfaced the track over winter. It was the first open test on a Wednesday and i was one of the first cars on track in an F3 cup single seater. I turned in at the top of the hill entering Devils elbow and spun on a patch of ice.. I think my spin pretty much made it to pit in. Very embarrassing on an out lap. The new surface was treacherous.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3866146)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
35 or so years ago I attacked the catch fencing @ Woodcote on an 'out lap', and all the potential sponsors i'd invited saw was me throwing my teddy out of the pram, and my 2 mechanics untangling all 4 corners,
Old 26 Nov 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3866153)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
35 or so years ago I attacked the catch fencing @ Woodcote on an 'out lap', and all the potential sponsors i'd invited saw was me throwing my teddy out of the pram, and my 2 mechanics untangling all 4 corners,
I hope you explained how good such an incident would be for TV coverage and potential newspaper and magazine inclusion at that time. And how a bigger sponsorship deal would get bigger name rights on the car ....
Old 27 Nov 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3866296)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I'm afraid I didn't think like that @ the time - red mist etc.

Had a happy ending though, the chap thought it was all most amusing - both my mistake and then my reaction (he was an ex stock car driver) and he did sponsor me for that season & the next one.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3868786)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
As promised here's a picture of the finished article taken during the lunch break @ todays Javelin Track Day.

A smaller than usual turn out of less than 40 cars with the usual selection of Vauxhall & French 'Hot Hatches' + MX5's.

Fastest car was a race Seat Leon which was a couple of seconds quicker than anything else, even though it only did around a dozen laps and went home at lunch-time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0019A.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	52289
Old 9 Dec 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3868942)   #14
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As you say, for at least the near future we've got to work with what we've got.

An issue with any car club trying to book a date @ the circuit is that the people who run it are 'Bike' people hence the Pirelli & Metzler trucks always parked there.

There is a strong chance that Eurocar's will be there next year though, running the same way as everyone else does.

A confirmed date is June 16th for Richard Culverhouse's Classic & Modern Motorsport Club, running for it's third year.
It will be run by the BRSCC though, as all the Senior Officials, myself included will be @ Silverstone's MG Live event.
Know when all the car race dates are being made public for next season?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3869408)   #15
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart H View Post
Know when all the car race dates are being made public for next season?
Stuart, the only confirmed dates I know of are:

May 27th 2CV don't know which club runs this &
September 15th Alfa Romeo which I think is run by the BRSCC
Old 11 Dec 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3869414)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Plus June 16th ‘Classic and Modern’ Motorsport Festival? Morgan Challenge and 500s are confirmed, I believe.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3869474)   #17
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Plus June 16th ‘Classic and Modern’ Motorsport Festival? Morgan Challenge and 500s are confirmed, I believe.
Indeed it is Mike, that was the first date I knew (Post 5), I did have insider information though (i'm on the committee)
Old 11 Dec 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3869478)   #18
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to see a car lose it on the exit of the Elbow and clatter the barrier on the left before coming to rest unsighted in the middle of the track.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3869777)   #19
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:

The Superkarts normally seen @ Darley Moor are there on May 25th.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 06:10 (Ref:3871050)   #20
pescaraproductions
Rookie

pescaraproductions should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woah that's a weird change to make, i only live a few miles away but i don't get down there as much as i used too thanks to the testing limits. Why on earth have they made it narrower! When they held Triumph live there a few years back they had an extra bridge temporarily built to accommodate the spectators that was much longer with the supports further apart, and it looked perfect. I always thought surely that was the future and the dodgy stick out support barrier would disappear along with the old bridge. This is just gonna funnel the guys who drop it exiting the elbow back onto the racing line.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 06:33 (Ref:3871053)   #21
pescaraproductions
Rookie

Quote:

I have (being a bit of an fanatic of the place myself) tracked down what i believe to be all the dates planned for next year and put them on the Mallory Park support group page on facebook, but I'll stick them here too.

-5 May/750MC/Vee,Clio182,Classic Stock Hatch,750 Historic and 750 Formula

-25 May/BRSCC/Northern Formula Ford,Super Kart UK

-27 May/BARC/Hyundai Coupe Cup, Citroen 2CV

-16 June/CMMC/500ccF3,MorganChallenge and I believe whats broken away from BARC SE (cannons tin tops, DMN saloons and maybe intermarque)

-28 July/BARC/Pickups,C1 Sprints

-26 August/BARC/Pickups,Junior Saloons

-15 September/BRSCC/Track Attack,XRchallenge,MX5 Super Series(who have already had some people having a good whine about the place being a 'bike circuit' despite never hosting a round there)

And the boxing day meeting as ever.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 06:43 (Ref:3871055)   #22
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescaraproductions View Post
15 September/BRSCC/Track Attack,XRchallenge,MX5 Super Series(who have already had some people having a good whine about the place being a 'bike circuit' despite never hosting a round there)
The MX5s have now been switched to Silverstone and replaced by the Alfa Romeo Championship and the Monoposto Tiedeman Trophy.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3871090)   #23
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescaraproductions View Post
I have (being a bit of an fanatic of the place myself) tracked down what i believe to be all the dates planned for next year and put them on the Mallory Park support group page on facebook, but I'll stick them here too.

-5 May/750MC/Vee,Clio182,Classic Stock Hatch,750 Historic and 750 Formula

-25 May/BRSCC/Northern Formula Ford,Super Kart UK

-27 May/BARC/Hyundai Coupe Cup, Citroen 2CV

-16 June/CMMC/500ccF3,MorganChallenge and I believe whats broken away from BARC SE (cannons tin tops, DMN saloons and maybe intermarque)

-28 July/BARC/Pickups,C1 Sprints

-26 August/BARC/Pickups,Junior Saloons

-15 September/BRSCC/Track Attack,XRchallenge,MX5 Super Series(who have already had some people having a good whine about the place being a 'bike circuit' despite never hosting a round there)

And the boxing day meeting as ever.
Good - that's looking promising and might even get to a few! It's a pity when some people sneer at the place though - perhaps just from seeing a circuit map. It's challenging to drive and I like it.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3871110)   #24
pescaraproductions
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
The MX5s have now been switched to Silverstone and replaced by the Alfa Romeo Championship and the Monoposto Tiedeman Trophy.
That's a shame they weren't even willing to give it a go and would rather run at a circuit that struggles to hold a wet race. But ah well, rather have the Alfas lol
Old 18 Dec 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3871111)   #25
pescaraproductions
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post
Good - that's looking promising and might even get to a few! It's a pity when some people sneer at the place though - perhaps just from seeing a circuit map. It's challenging to drive and I like it.
7 meetings in a year is certainly an achievement, only thing that concerns me is the amount of BARC meetings with only a few championships so far, they're known for cancelling those regularly. The place never gets the credit it deserves in my mind, teaches you a lot about patience on a race circuit, which I think a lot of the newer generation don't like to have, and therefore gets the reputation of being a car killer. But they're really not helping themselves with this change.