Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Jul 2008, 01:04 (Ref:2255586)   #51
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We all have our favourite commentators, mines Martin Haven and some of the RLM guys, but I have to turn Hindy off (Sorry!), yet most love his style.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2373301)   #52
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I think he's ok in a funny sort of way actually. He's a bit quirky, so pretty good for late night Dakar viewing.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2373386)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's fine for Dakar. It's when he is commentating on something live that he is out of his depth.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2374057)   #54
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
He's fine for Dakar. It's when he is commentating on something live that he is out of his depth.
Indeed, he is really good on scripted stuff as his personality adds to the presentation. Live commentary is most definitely not his forte...
Old 19 Jan 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2374163)   #55
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
Indeed, he is really good on scripted stuff as his personality adds to the presentation. Live commentary is most definitely not his forte...

If you ignore the fact he is either two laps behind the action on Motorsport Weekend or worse still gets ahead of himself and tells you who is about to crash before they actually do!
Old 20 Jan 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2375411)   #56
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
If you ignore the fact he is either two laps behind the action on Motorsport Weekend or worse still gets ahead of himself and tells you who is about to crash before they actually do!
True but I'm never too sure if it is totally his fault, the script could be to blame for that.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2375422)   #57
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
True but I'm never too sure if it is totally his fault, the script could be to blame for that.

I think its more his 'script to eye' co-ordination..
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2431814)   #58
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I have heard a nasty rumour Carlton Kirby is going to commentate on half of the British Eurosport Moto GPs. Havent seen anything confirmed yet though. Please God dont let this be true.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2435984)   #59
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I have heard a nasty rumour Carlton Kirby is going to commentate on half of the British Eurosport Moto GPs. Havent seen anything confirmed yet though. Please God dont let this be true.
Please god no...

Where did you hear that?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2436473)   #60
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've seen an advert for Moto GP featuring Toby and Julian, but no one else!
Old 9 Apr 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2437390)   #61
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Kirby is horrendous, utterly horrendous. His inane twitter and nasal giggling is inclined to infect his co-commentators like botchulism. Poor Mark Cole, superb commentator usually devolves into a Kirby clone when seated next to him. I remember Kirby being parachuted into the CART commentary booth and Michel Jourdain Jr morphed into Michael Jordan Jr for the year. They do drag these commentors off the street they really do.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2621965)   #62
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to drag this back up again

But in the back few pages of Autosport they have an article about TV and stuff usually.

The other week it mentioned that Carlton may have shouted "oh f**k" during a DTM session when Gary Paffet made a mistake or something.

Can anyone confirm this, and when it was?

There was also a few other bits about Carlton.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Jan 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2621992)   #63
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Not sure, but I generally shout it during his broadcasts. Replacing 'oh' with 'you', you understand.
Old 1 May 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2682798)   #64
telerepairman
Rookie

telerepairman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlton Kirby garbage

Tried to watch Renault world series but the awful commentator (Carlton Kirby)talked so much rubbish and was so busy waffling that he missed all the interesting action and made so many wrong calls that I had to give up and try to find somewhere to vent my frustration.He obviously is so used to bull****ting `cos at no point did he calm down and give any information and his poor co commentator, as usual ,had to skirt round his erroneous calls.Thank gog he`s not ruining moto gp anymore.Oh Dear.
I know we shouldn`t pick on him but he`s so awful and must be stopped.

Last edited by Woolley; 2 May 2010 at 20:47. Reason: autocensor
Old 1 May 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2682801)   #65
telerepairman
Rookie

Still true..oh so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Kirby is horrendous, utterly horrendous. His inane twitter and nasal giggling is inclined to infect his co-commentators like botchulism. Poor Mark Cole, superb commentator usually devolves into a Kirby clone when seated next to him. I remember Kirby being parachuted into the CART commentary booth and Michel Jourdain Jr morphed into Michael Jordan Jr for the year. They do drag these commentors off the street they really do.
I share your sympathy for the poor sods who co-commentate..you can feel them cringe and avoid his crappy attempts at handovers.Oh his life..............must be hell.PLease!!!
Old 1 May 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2682808)   #66
telerepairman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtonowhere View Post
This is one thing that really annoys me. Leave the guy alone. I feel he's a damn site better than some other commentators out there and I give him my full backing in a crisis. I mean do you guys and girls want a drool person telling you whats going on cause I sure don't I find his humour sometimes annoying but can't we all be like that sometimes. Like I said it's great to have a bit of humour in the commentary, so please don't knock the guy down unless you've had as much training or can do as good a job as him.
THE GUY IS RUINING SPORT FOR THOUSANDS OF US AND GETTING PAID FOR IT.HE`S NOT FUNNY AND RUNS ON NERVOUS TENSION HENCE THE GOBBLEDYGOOK HE TALKS.MOST IMPORTANT HE WASTES AN OPPORTUNITY TO INTERPRET AND PASS ON INFORMATION WHICH IS WHY HE`S PAID.IT SHOULDN`T BE BULL****...BUT IT IS.

Last edited by Woolley; 2 May 2010 at 20:48. Reason: autocensor twice in 4 posts.
Old 2 May 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2683394)   #67
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just out of interest I wonder how much he does get paid. I'd love his job!

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 2 May 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2683416)   #68
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
Just out of interest I wonder how much he does get paid. I'd love his job!

I assume nothing as its day release.
Old 2 May 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2683426)   #69
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
probably rather a lot.
Old 2 May 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2683483)   #70
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Old 3 May 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2683749)   #71
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
I think we should get a list of his quotes together. I'l start us of:

"And Driver XYZ has had a NIGHTMARE !"

Brilliant
Old 3 May 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2683778)   #72
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Some drivel about "loving life" or something. Most of its just plain wrong. However if he is looking for a catchphrase then how about "I'm a ****"?

Last edited by John Turner; 4 May 2010 at 09:20. Reason: Ahem!
Old 3 May 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2683816)   #73
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah, ditto.
Old 3 May 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2683924)   #74
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How on earth can this guy still be involved in motorsport commentary!

Surely he must be related to someone high up or something? Can he speak fluent French?? Coz as we know both main motorsport channels are French?

I am staggered at this bloke!! He is enthusiastic yes but I KNOW I could do a better job and do it for free.

So c'mon guys let's see if it would work!!
Old 4 May 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2684412)   #75
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If your commentary is as elegant as your prose chunder then we'd be in for a treat.