Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 Oct 2016, 21:29 (Ref:3681819)   #26
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
You've hit the nail on the head.

The current cars are the fastest through a stage we've seen; faster than the brutally fast in a straight line, but agricultural Gp B cars. So, the cars aren't really the problem.

That is exactly the problem, too fast through the corners, impressive 0-60 times, but ok on the longer straights. These car are way off road cars, there is no way you can identify your hot hatch to this.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 21:34 (Ref:3681820)   #27
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Very interesting thoughts throughout this thread, good discussions! I too was excited about the power increase but I'm questioning that now, as someone said earlier, who asked for more power? Thinking about it, it's an answer to a question nobody I know of has asked!

Arguably, the power of the cars is the least of the WRC's problems; the core one it seems to me being the disappearance of the sport from the minds of the general public. Those of us in the know will probably enjoy the faster cars but will it bring new converts? Are they preaching to the choir?

The same could be said about the even wider cars, making them even more distant from a normal hot hatch. Or wheels that nearly hit the bonnet. I think most classes go over the top these days, even Porsche 911 GT 3's aren't competition enough if you look at WEC or GTE.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 11:01 (Ref:3684251)   #28
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VW on the verge of pulling the plug on their WRC program? Perhaps just gossip...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-wrc-programme

...but an interesting snippet to read after the Audi announcement last week. Would they back out when they have already poured so much into development of a car for 2017?
Old 31 Oct 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3684255)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
VW on the verge of pulling the plug on their WRC program? Perhaps just gossip...

...but an interesting snippet to read after the Audi announcement last week. Would they back out when they have already poured so much into development of a car for 2017?
The cost of Dieselgate shouldnt be under estimated. Sales of diesels are off, brand equity in used diesels are reflected in lower resale. Not to mention the fines & class actions. Plus reputational damage...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Oct 2016, 12:23 (Ref:3684262)   #30
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feels a bit late to stop the program now doesn't it? They started testing the outlines for the 2017 car over a year ago.

Even if VW have been hit hard by dieselgate, surely they would have foreseen the huge costs of it.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3684316)   #31
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So, no different from Audi - who have already paid for next years programme; but have still pulled the plug.

Interesting chat about it on last weeks Midweek Motorsport, and Hindy was also on TalkRadio's car show on Saturday; worth downloading.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3684422)   #32
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
So after reading an article from autocar.uk.com and some tweets, VW is to quit WRC what it seems like. I feel a bit sad about it to be honest ...
Old 1 Nov 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3684500)   #33
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ull-out-of-wrc
Old 1 Nov 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3684502)   #34
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If true, this will be an absurd decision. I think Audi quitting the WEC made sense (though after 2017), but this would be just stupid. And for what - to watch them join that electric rally-cross series they are trying to start?
Old 1 Nov 2016, 12:31 (Ref:3684503)   #35
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely gutted to read that. I was really looking forward to seeing VW fend off the challenge of the returning marques next year, and we'd have had five manufacturers in play for the first time in an age.

Plus we'll never get to see the 2017 incarnation of the Polo WRCar!
Old 1 Nov 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3684527)   #36
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Could a private team run the Polos? Or are they to be consigned to a warehouse in Hannover?
Old 1 Nov 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3684532)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
So if VW are gone from WRC, Audi gone from WEC - is the Skoda rally programme safe? Or is that ok as that's customer cars rather than a 'works' effort?

It makes the driver market interesting too - Ogier, Latvala and Mikklesen all available . Do any of the teams with 'confirmed' lineups chop and change? Add another car? Or are we looking now to slot these drivers into the remaining unconfirmed seats?
Old 1 Nov 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3684538)   #38
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Could a private team run the Polos? Or are they to be consigned to a warehouse in Hannover?
The implication seems to be that they will be mothballed. Seems an awful waste after all the development that has been poured into them, given how capable the current car is I was keen to see what VW could do with the new regulations.

Perhaps a mighty coincidence, but Ekstrom was showing Ogier around the EKS S1 a week or so ago, wasn't he? I wonder...
Old 1 Nov 2016, 14:50 (Ref:3684551)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree. Although the championship could be a bit more open next season now, what a waste after going through the effort of building the car. It would have been more respectful to see it through even with reduced backing
Old 1 Nov 2016, 15:15 (Ref:3684562)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I was not really surprised by Audi pulling out of WEC but this one I didn't see coming.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3684563)   #41
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
The implication seems to be that they will be mothballed. Seems an awful waste after all the development that has been poured into them, given how capable the current car is I was keen to see what VW could do with the new regulations.

Perhaps a mighty coincidence, but Ekstrom was showing Ogier around the EKS S1 a week or so ago, wasn't he? I wonder...
Ekström mentioned in media (I don't remember where though) that it was a gift to Ogier as a congratulation for winning the WRC title. Though, I wonder where Ogier, Mikkelsen and Latvala will wind up.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3684572)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did see it coming, because it has cost a massive amount of money! Obviously prompted by the dieselgate issue but it was domination with little competition and they are getting little airtime or media time from it.

It has little impact on them selling cars, as VW are a massively established brand with a clear clientele, never really understood them coming in, in the first place, other than them losing the Dakar program. That budget was seemingly just diverted to WRC and increased.

The drivers I would think will end up in rallycross or there might be some interesting decisions at teams like Ford, problem might be can rallycross teams afford them?
Old 1 Nov 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3684575)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The drivers I would think will end up in rallycross or there might be some interesting decisions at teams like Ford, problem might be can rallycross teams afford them?
Can M-Sport afford them? The M-Sport drivers have been bringing budget haven't they? How much money have Ford been putting in?

As for the Rallycross teams - I wouldn't have thought any of them would have the budget.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3684585)   #44
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
As for the Rallycross teams - I wouldn't have thought any of them would have the budget.
Funny thing, got some numbers from EKS but forgot to post it. Heard about a month ago that Heikkinen had to pay 12 million SEK for a drive at EKS, which converts into around 1 090 000 British pounds.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3684614)   #45
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Funny thing, got some numbers from EKS but forgot to post it. Heard about a month ago that Heikkinen had to pay 12 million SEK for a drive at EKS, which converts into around 1 090 000 British pounds.
That's a lot of money for a few small Laakkonen and Schonox logos on the the car.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3684737)   #46
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
And there it is:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/octob...6--12-12-.html

They've gone.

But apparently they will develop an R5 version of the Polo for customer sales.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3684769)   #47
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A sad and stupid decision, with no financial basis. I don't think I'll be buying a VW or an Audi anytime soon. This is just an insult to all fans.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 14:55 (Ref:3684774)   #48
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No it's not, that's crybaby talk!

They are going to lose potentially billions in the nest few years, what do you expect?

Oh ok we will continue to fund a program that costs tens of millions a year, one that we have nothing to prove in that we have utterly dominated for three years.

While probably paying off hundreds of workers and paying out billions in compensation!

Get in to the real world chap, sorry.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3684792)   #49
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
No it's not, that's crybaby talk!

They are going to lose potentially billions in the nest few years, what do you expect?

Oh ok we will continue to fund a program that costs tens of millions a year, one that we have nothing to prove in that we have utterly dominated for three years.

While probably paying off hundreds of workers and paying out billions in compensation!

Get in to the real world chap, sorry.

No, it's not cry baby talk, though I'm disappointed. And I have the right to be disappointed, and the right to choose what car I buy. Subaru is still using the WRC in their commercials, even though it's been ages.

If you look into the numbers, they aren't saving that much by quitting. They are still keeping and paying for all their staff, much like Audi Sport. Money for the fines and litigation was set aside already last year, and profitability at VW is going up this year. VW Group Sales are doing well too.
This is a STUPID, misguided move that has to do with "image", not finances. I bet it's because they want to enter that supporting electric Rally Cross series that is envisioned. STUPID.
VW still had a lot to prove with the new WRC cars. Everyone couldn't wait to see how it goes next year, the car was even ready, for Gods's sake!
Old 2 Nov 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3684825)   #50
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This opens a lot the 2017 drivers market with 3 cars per team. Hyundai, Citroen, Ford and Toyota will be more than happy to get Ogier, Latvala or Mikkelsen.