Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 May 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3737783)   #101
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haha, welcome to the genius that is two British championships and never the twain shall meet!

If I were Silverstone I would be nicking the GP title and trying to have an end of season event there first. Get the money out and try and get a decent meeting in there before this hopeless Speedfestblah thing happens
Old 31 May 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3737809)   #102
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are correct Bert it is now run by the BARC.
Old 31 May 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3737810)   #103
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I don't understand this. All we heard last couple of years WRX is the best invention since sliced bread. Now they add all sorts of things that have nothing to do with WRX to attract people.
Yes it makes perfectly sense. This festival can attract large crowds and be a massive financial success.

Quote:
Rallycross doesn't need that crap
It's not about what rallycross needs, but about what fans want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
This quote from Petter Solberg sums it up;

"What's important is that World RX of Great Britain doesn't become too posh. It's rallycross, let's remember that."
FIA World Championships are posh by definition. If you want non-posh events, check national rallycross championships.
Old 31 May 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3737819)   #104
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Yes it makes perfectly sense. This festival can attract large crowds and be a massive financial success.
Yes - but it could do that without the rallycross. The way it's being pitched seems to be "festival of stuff - oh and rallycross too". They could just do their festival of stuff on another date and then have rallycross as a stand alone event.

Quote:
It's not about what rallycross needs, but about what fans want.
This event isn't being pitched at rallycross fans - it's being pitched at "people who wouldn't watch rallycross"

Quote:
FIA World Championships are posh by definition. If you want non-posh events, check national rallycross championships.
Agreed. Up to a point. After that point it's in danger of vanishing up it's own backside. Which I think this event is in serious danger of doing.
Old 31 May 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3737844)   #105
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hear Hear Bert

Sad;y it will work, as it is not targeted at most rallycross fans

Merely at the general public, like the gameshow circus type event it now is.

Such a shame.

No heritage.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3737886)   #106
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another article with more details about the move to Silverstone...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford...ked-at-126523/

...interesting to read that they seriously considered Brands Hatch. Seems that they have signed a 5 year deal with Silverstone?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3737897)   #107
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
5 years is a lot of it doesn't work. And it loses money,

Fair play to IMG, they have got all that up front no doubt and can spend it on what they want, dumb of Silverstone to sign a 5 year deal, crass stupidity.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3738031)   #108
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Jeez, check the comments out on facebook.

And you guys think I am negative!! lol

I was fairly supportive of the track initially and still am, it's the pricing that is ridiculous
Old 2 Jun 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3738128)   #109
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not many positive comments from the drivers who tried out the track, technical seems to be a common word used, slow and lacking overtaking opportunities as well, guess its early days but who actually designed the layout?

I fear Silverstone have little rallycross knowledge and lets face it alot of stuff they have done there over the years is anything but spectator friendly, still until the layout is finalized and the spectating areas for the hoped 30,000 are built Il keep an open mind As for the 5 year contract I would imagine both sides have a get out clause in it.Unfortunately whatever happens I see little chance of it ever going back to Lydden, it seems that apart from the lack of facilities the limited running time on Sundays means fitting 24 races into 6 hours is an issue!!

As Chunder said its the pricing that really stinks, you can take or leave the rest of the stuff but I don't like being charged extra for it. When they use street food as a selling point it kind of shows there's not alot else yet going for it.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3738199)   #110
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Small, tight, narrow, dusty, "gravel", awful jumps, slow, barricades inside of corners that drivers cut inside of if they feel they have too, dangerous barricades, sharp corners and overall awkward, unnatural layouts are standard things in "modern, world class tracks especially built for rallycross". The new tracks are so bad that even the cars can get damaged and safety is not that good either.

I understand if IMG wants better facilities but that pretty much seems to be all that matters, and or being closer to the general public perhaps. But it is hard to believe how horrible the tracks are though, sometimes I'm like; Are they serious?

Hell, I could even design a better track since the new ones are so bad.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3738269)   #111
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
I understand if IMG wants better facilities but that pretty much seems to be all that matters,
Agreed - the Silverstone event seems to be all about everything else - music, e-gaming, supercars, manufacturer demos, 'street food' and then there's some rallycross going on at the same time. It's almost like they booked the circuit for their festival thing and then found out that date was already being used for the rallycross.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3738272)   #112
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Not many positive comments from the drivers who tried out the track, technical seems to be a common word used, slow and lacking overtaking opportunities as well, guess its early days but who actually designed the layout?

I fear Silverstone have little rallycross knowledge and lets face it alot of stuff they have done there over the years is anything but spectator friendly, still until the layout is finalized and the spectating areas for the hoped 30,000 are built Il keep an open mind As for the 5 year contract I would imagine both sides have a get out clause in it.Unfortunately whatever happens I see little chance of it ever going back to Lydden, it seems that apart from the lack of facilities the limited running time on Sundays means fitting 24 races into 6 hours is an issue!!

As Chunder said its the pricing that really stinks, you can take or leave the rest of the stuff but I don't like being charged extra for it. When they use street food as a selling point it kind of shows there's not alot else yet going for it.
I'm confident it will be back at Lydden soon
Old 3 Jun 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3738435)   #113
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirming the earlier rumour it was mentioned on the Retro RX Facebook feed today that they plan to run the 1st round of the British Championships at Silverstone next year.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:17 (Ref:3739132)   #114
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's £50 for one day!! I didn't look at the full weekend tickets just the Sunday but I can't afford that. With 3 of us going, it would very quickly get ridiculous, especially when you add on refreshments and any merchandise.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 06:58 (Ref:3739171)   #115
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
It's £50 for one day!! I didn't look at the full weekend tickets just the Sunday but I can't afford that. With 3 of us going, it would very quickly get ridiculous, especially when you add on refreshments and any merchandise.
Yep. My son is now of an age where I have to start paying for him too (why do they have to grow up? ) - so it's doubling the cost of all events for me anyway but the Silverstone rallycross is just ridiculous. It's not even a 'maybe' for next year.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3739232)   #116
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good article on the Silverstone/Lydden situation on MN:

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/co...n-lydden-hill/
Old 7 Jun 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3739257)   #117
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Good article on the Silverstone/Lydden situation on MN:

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/co...n-lydden-hill/
The trouble with that article is that it's written by Hal Ridge - who is very much one of the IMG 'in-crowd' so is hardly written from a neutral perspective. Whilst some of his points are valid it's still very much a 'pro-IMG' article.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3739277)   #118
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
He is very definitely in the pro IMG camp, as I believe Tim passed down a lot of the writing duties he once held to Hal who is basically a former driver, nothing more. Whose role in life now is to drive as many cars he can it seems.

Nothing of real note in there, other than was is already known.

I doubt any core rallycross fans will be going to Silverstone, but I do know an awful lot that say they wont, and then nearer the time will roll over.

Such is life
Old 7 Jun 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3739292)   #119
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The trouble with that article is that it's written by Hal Ridge - who is very much one of the IMG 'in-crowd' so is hardly written from a neutral perspective. Whilst some of his points are valid it's still very much a 'pro-IMG' article.
That's a fair point, but I thought it was good to see some acknowledgement that the entry costs are rather high and that pure race fans are perhaps a little alienated at the direction they have taken with the Silverstone event.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3739296)   #120
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It was a piece written like a review of a car you don't like but need to keep in favour with.

Exactly the thing wrong with modern journalism.

too afraid of losing his press pass and rides in cars I am afraid
Old 7 Jun 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3739313)   #121
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing in there about the history or heritage of rallycross and Lydden. All the "issues" are not insurmountable so hopefully Lydden will be back on the international rallycross scene very soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jun 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3739321)   #122
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
rx4u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It was a piece written like a review of a car you don't like but need to keep in favour with.

Exactly the thing wrong with modern journalism.

too afraid of losing his press pass and rides in cars I am afraid
Sums it up perfectly!
Your not going to upset your employers, but sadly this lot are all part of the rallycross fraternity that have profited from the quick rise to mega super rich rallycross who quickly forgot there roots but hopefully the bubble will burst as quick as it was over inflated
Old 7 Jun 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3739331)   #123
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Though Lydden was far from perfect I rather think most of the issues that have been stated are excuses rather than legitimate reasons. In my opinion its more about money than WRX out growing Lydden.

I actually found the article rather patronising and to suggest a good head lining act will make the astronomical admission charge all ok is quite offensive. Imagine how Glastonbury regulars would feel if suddenly a motorsport event was put on with it and they were charged twice the amount they'd paid in the past,then told its ok because Sebastian Loeb Petter Solberg and Ken Block will be racing!
Also really not sure how many new people will be attracted to RX.I know I wouldn't fork out that kind of money for something I didn't know much about, and if it was the music I was going to see probability is I wouldn't turn up until late afternoon after the racing has finished!

If ticket sales are slow which would hardly be surprising then I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly brought in a RX ticket only and maybe a music ticket only to try and save face and minimise the loss.

I really think Silverstone have got this so wrong and IMG as the sports promoter should be ashamed for allowing it to happen for this is doing nothing to promote rallycross. At the moment this is just some crappy named horrendously over priced mish mash of a made up event that cant even put RX in the title. Shameful.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3739368)   #124
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the analogy. Although there are plenty of old school Glastonbury people who would say it has sold out, is too corporate and too expensive now.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3739446)   #125
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
OK let's be clear

Lydden was too small. It had image problems, it had poor facilities.

Compared to Barcelona, Hockenheim, Latvia I would think Lydden looks like a pikey site in comparison.

The track is pretty poor too, not much non joker overtaking. a woeful loose surface.

But it is different compared to the car park tracks IMG seem to adore.

I can see Estering going obviously too, they don't need two rounds in Germany. South Africa will be interesting, as most rounds outside Europe have bailed, Canada only keeps it's place as it is while a massive festival is on and no doubt they have the budget to pay for WRX.

I support the idea orallycross trying to up its game and go to new places and new audiences.

But what I will never support is IMG's lack of any sort of acknowledgement of fans, heritage and the good of the sport as a whole.

It is a package, wrapped up, sold to the higest bidder.

And what pains me most of all are the people IMG trust to run the sport, who ahve been been in rallycross for decades, and are turning their back on decades of history in the name of the dollar.

That really is unforgiveable, and is a large part of why I want nothing to do with WRX ever again.

Some of these people have only ever taken from rallycross, never given anything back. And people who know the port know exactly who I am talking about.