Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2001, 07:09 (Ref:126040)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why dont bring back Phoenix ?

Phoenix was the last of the temporary street circuits that seemed to dominate the United States Grand Prix circuits for most of the 1980s. The inaugural race was staged in mid-summer, and the heat was simply too much for fans and drivers alike. To try to help matters the venue was moved to an earlier date but it was already too late to save Formula One in the USA.
At the photo on this tread you see that it is a very nice circuit dont you think the same ?
Attached Thumbnails
phoenix_main.gif  
Old 5 Aug 2001, 07:31 (Ref:126042)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In F1GP it looks too brown and looks the same at every corner, making it take ages to learn. (a bit like Mexico "Chicane" City).

Irrational reasons aside, the attendance rate was pretty disatrous and probably resembled a scene from Silverstone qualifying 2000 : "Where are the spectators?"

Now, a street race in London would really liven things up

Or maybe not...

What about Macau?
Old 5 Aug 2001, 08:16 (Ref:126056)   #3
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
Now, a street race in London would really liven things up
did u see that autosport issue? they actually got sum1 decent in to paste in f1 cars next to landmarks, with barriers, stands (all borrowed from monaco). and i saw THAT circuit - bloody amazing!!! i tell ya it was like NO chicanes (yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss) and loadsa place to overtake (fast corners, straight then slow corner).

pheonix sucked - it was when f1 was in a very looooow place - i mean dammit they had an f1 race in a bleedin' car park!!!
Old 5 Aug 2001, 13:28 (Ref:126139)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Phoenix isn't so bad now I've learnt the track but it's still too brown.

I didn't see that Autosport but there was a short article in the Daily Wail with a circuit diagram and Damon Hill saying that he always fantasizes about it. But where do the traffic lights in the middle of the road go etc. etc.

And the other roads are bad enough during the London Marathon so I don't see it happening in my lifetime. Shame

Any pictures/scans from that issue, anyone?
Old 5 Aug 2001, 13:35 (Ref:126145)   #5
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Every time I go form Wandsworth to see my folks in primrose hill I drive through what would be an excellent GP track in London - Victoria drive through Hyde Park has a couple of really nice corners, including one really fast one going north just over the serpentine, but ehy're put in soo many speed bumps it could never work now.

As for US circuits, why not Laguna Seca? Imagine F1 cars at the corkscrew! But I like the Indy circuit, the banked turn is a nice change.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 19:18 (Ref:126251)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy is as sterile a track as Sepang and Catalunya, and none of those deserve their place on the calendar.

Phoenix in my opinion was pretty decent as a circuit - I would love to see it back now simply to alleviate the boredom of so many Mickey Mouse circuits.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 19:53 (Ref:126268)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA introduce another street circuit?? Never in a BILLION years. Another Albert Park-ey park circuit perhaps, but not another Monaco style thing.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 20:55 (Ref:126286)   #8
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i reckon laguna seca would be a good track for the US gp altho the corkscrew could be a problem!!! i can see most of em stuffin there car into the barriers at the top or spinnin half way down!
Old 5 Aug 2001, 20:57 (Ref:126287)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger Phoenix,
Sydney would be an exceleent city for the gp. I can see it now, F1 cars flying over the harbour bridge, loop around N Sydney, then under the harbour thru the tunnel to bring it back to cicular quay. In my dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2001, 02:04 (Ref:126404)   #10
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If past history has any influence, they would go back to Long Beach, or Watkins Glen. Road America would also be good, as would Laguna, mainly BECAUSE of the corkscrew!!

I'd go with Long Beach, or Monaco West, as I'd call it, if I were Bernie. Phoenix is just so damn hot in summer, as was your average parking lot in Las Vegas.

However, living near Vancouver, I would frankly drop the CART race for F1 in a second, even tho' I go every year. I'd appreciate the change....
Old 6 Aug 2001, 02:55 (Ref:126421)   #11
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with Phoenix or Laguna Seca is their proximity to the general population of the United States. Indianapolis not only has the name to draw attention, but it is within a days drive for almost 60% of the U.S. population. That is the primary reason they were able to set a new F1 attendance record last year.

Last edited by Redneck; 6 Aug 2001 at 02:55.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 06:18 (Ref:126449)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck
The problem with Phoenix or Laguna Seca is their proximity to the general population of the United States. Indianapolis not only has the name to draw attention, but it is within a days drive for almost 60% of the U.S. population. That is the primary reason they were able to set a new F1 attendance record last year.
Precisely. North-Eastern USA is the place to hold a race.

F1 will never re-visit street circuit racing in America because last time it failed dismally because of circuits like Detroit, Phoenix, Dallas and Las Vegas. Long Beach was good, but it's now contracted to CART, Detroit is also a CART domain while Phoenix has the IRL at the tri-oval down the road.

I'd love to see F1 cars going round Road America. It's got a little bit of everything, is seriously quick and just that little bit dangerous. Laguna Seca would be good, but it's too short while Watkins Glen is seriously outdated. That is why F1 moved from there in the first place.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 06:23 (Ref:126452)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America - now that would be great! Somehow, I don't think it's ever going to happen.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 12:09 (Ref:126566)   #14
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've already said this in another thread, but Toronto would be an ideal location for the Canadian GP. It has 1/3 of Canada's population within a 1 hour drive. It is a street circuit, but it's fairly wide, fast, and has a lot of passing. The only change that may be necessary is new pit garages.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 21:31 (Ref:126775)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
Road America would also be good, as would Laguna, mainly BECAUSE of the corkscrew!!
This corkscrew sounds interesting. Pictures, anyone?:confused:
Old 6 Aug 2001, 22:49 (Ref:126818)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Ah, the INFAMOUS corkscrew - and not all for good reasons.

When driving the circuit there is a straight up a hill, at the crest of which is the Corkscrew, a crazy left-right z-shaped flick which plummets down the other side of the hill. You don't see it until you hit it.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 22:50 (Ref:126819)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
As for moving the Canadian GP from Montreal... Come off it! Montreal is a superb circuit, one of the best ones of the season.

Old 7 Aug 2001, 00:41 (Ref:126861)   #18
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the picture of the corkscrew

http://www.e-motionalpix.com/images/scan703.jpg

Note this turn is where CART rookie Gonzalo Rodriguez died in 1999. Patrick Carpentier also had an incident in Friday practice in 2000 where he spun off rather nastily and his car hit the sand traps and flipped over the wall. He was shaken but all right.

Last edited by Victor Broccoli; 7 Aug 2001 at 00:42.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 01:01 (Ref:126874)   #19
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God, what's with the fixation of Laguna Seca. Apart from the corkscrew it's really nothing exciting about it. The recent CART races have duller than watching trees leave. If CART cars can't make more than a few passes, how do you think a F1 cars would fare.

Old 7 Aug 2001, 02:47 (Ref:126911)   #20
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I remember, wasn't Phoenix a very bumpy course? I hope it has been smoothed by now.
How about a street course in New York City? That could be interesting. I mean downtown, not in New Jersey or closer upstate.
A race in Boston would be great! (I wouldn't have to drive so far.)
Old 7 Aug 2001, 04:25 (Ref:126938)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Indy is as sterile a track as Sepang and Catalunya, and none of those deserve their place on the calendar.

Phoenix in my opinion was pretty decent as a circuit - I would love to see it back now simply to alleviate the boredom of so many Mickey Mouse circuits.
I agree with you about Indy, the infield is just too mickey mouse, although we now have have a USA Grand Prix back on the calendar...I do not agree about Phoenix however..boring and the attendence was very poor..I would prefer to see a race back at Long Beach..Now that is a nice venue, and the crowds love their racing..PS I do remember seeing Jean Alesi battle with Senna at Phoenix and thought "My god" this guy is brilliant..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 7 Aug 2001 at 04:26.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 04:28 (Ref:126939)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AL Racing
God, what's with the fixation of Laguna Seca. Apart from the corkscrew it's really nothing exciting about it. The recent CART races have duller than watching trees leave. If CART cars can't make more than a few passes, how do you think a F1 cars would fare.

Ditto.... Please excuse double post...Oop's

Last edited by JeremySmith; 7 Aug 2001 at 04:29.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 06:17 (Ref:126958)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hehe... I have to admit that other than the corkscrew, and some desert scenery, Laguna Seca doesn't really have much to offer. It doesn't even make for a good Cart race... The last few that I have seen, have all been boring parades of cars.... hmm...sounds familiar....