Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2020, 10:12 (Ref:4007129)   #901
dwh43scale
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Posts: 565
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking as a spectator snapper, who has the benefit of having finished full time employment, I have now been to eight English motorsport venues, some on multiple occasions, since July for both car and bike racing. This has not included Silverstone to date for obvious reasons.

I have really enjoyed some of the "greener" venues where you aren't constantly shooting through or over fencing, don't have fencing or acres of gravel as a back drop or those where you can get closer to the action.

I do hope that Silverstone can find a way to accommodate (in a Covid secure way) spectators for British GT, HSCC finals, WHT and the Birkett, but am not holding my breath. After the last few weeks I am also not sure how much I want to negotiate the photographic challenges there if there are better shots to be had elsewhere !

On a side note, having been brought up on four wheeled motorsport, I have really enjoyed shooting bikes - there's something about seeing the rider often hidden behind bodywork in a car. Theres also the fact that we all think we could get a Fiesta or a Clio round a track at reasonable speed - but a bike - NO WAY !
dwh43scale is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Sep 2020, 11:05 (Ref:4007143)   #902
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,071
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure we all have favourite and less favourite places, coloured by whether we are driving, snapping marshalling or spectating. I enjoyed racing at Rockingham - possibly because it was different - but by heaven it was soul-less. Silverstone National is a bit boring, but I quite like the International.....picturesque it ain't, though. Brands Indy makes me dizzy....I know its a "classic" but I can't be bothered dragging myself the length of the country (and the M25) to go round in small circles...although to contradict myself I enjoy Mallory, which is equally small I did love the one race at Brands GP circuit 10 years ago - that was worth the trip!

Never warmed to Snetterton - again maybe because of its remoteness (for me), but I do like circuits which involve gradients.....so Donington, Oulton, Anglesey, Cadwell are all favourites of mine (and co-incidentally more accessible )

Croft is near enough too, and I don't dislike it, but equally it doesn't excite me. I'd love to try a race at Knockhill - I've been driven round it by Pete Richards in his Clan, which was exciting - but not many race series are prepared to contemplate a visit there, when even Oulton elicits complaints about being "too far north". I suppose I should try Castle Combe and Thruxton sometime before I get too old (too late, do I hear you cry? ) but though CSCC did/will go there this year the dreaded virus (Back on topic!) has put the mockers on our racing this year.
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Back Racing with CSCC, and another first, I've finally done a rolling start!
Quote
Old 28 Sep 2020, 11:26 (Ref:4007156)   #903
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,437
S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
The Silverstone national may not be the most exciting or challenging circuit, but watching the BTCC coverage yesterday it does provide plenty of good action, at times itís almost like an oval race with the packs of cars you get. It makes it different from other circuits and layouts, which is a good thing about the circuits in the country. They offer a good bit of variety and they certainly ainít the cookie cutters you get in other countries
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 28 Sep 2020, 15:30 (Ref:4007202)   #904
Malcolm Smith
Veteran
 
Malcolm Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location:
Clyde Valley, Scotland
Posts: 532
Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm sure we all have favourite and less favourite places, coloured by whether we are driving, snapping marshalling or spectating. I enjoyed racing at Rockingham - possibly because it was different - but by heaven it was soul-less. Silverstone National is a bit boring, but I quite like the International.....picturesque it ain't, though. Brands Indy makes me dizzy....I know its a "classic" but I can't be bothered dragging myself the length of the country (and the M25) to go round in small circles...although to contradict myself I enjoy Mallory, which is equally small I did love the one race at Brands GP circuit 10 years ago - that was worth the trip!

Never warmed to Snetterton - again maybe because of its remoteness (for me), but I do like circuits which involve gradients.....so Donington, Oulton, Anglesey, Cadwell are all favourites of mine (and co-incidentally more accessible )

Croft is near enough too, and I don't dislike it, but equally it doesn't excite me. I'd love to try a race at Knockhill - I've been driven round it by Pete Richards in his Clan, which was exciting - but not many race series are prepared to contemplate a visit there, when even Oulton elicits complaints about being "too far north". I suppose I should try Castle Combe and Thruxton sometime before I get too old (too late, do I hear you cry? ) but though CSCC did/will go there this year the dreaded virus (Back on topic!) has put the mockers on our racing this year.
Scottish Classic Sports and Saloons would make you welcome as a guest competitor, Richard.
Your Alfa would be eligible in future classics class.
Malcolm Smith is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Sep 2020, 18:07 (Ref:4007238)   #905
Anyopenroad
Veteran
 
Anyopenroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
European Union
London
Posts: 551
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The Silverstone national may not be the most exciting or challenging circuit, but watching the BTCC coverage yesterday it does provide plenty of good action, at times it’s almost like an oval race with the packs of cars you get.
Yes it does. It's a good circuit for racing and I always enjoy watching Silverstone races on TV, when you can fully appreciate the awesome sweeps of Backetts, the slow corners, fast straights, the Club complex.

But this debate was about what circuits are like to visit as a spectator.

BTW you didn't answer the question about other circuits you have personally visited which are better or worse than Silverstone.
Anyopenroad is offline  
__________________
I like taking pictures of cars going round tracks.
Quote
Old 28 Sep 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4007245)   #906
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran
 
justracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
United Kingdom
West Sussex
Posts: 1,615
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Never warmed to Snetterton - again maybe because of its remoteness (for me), but I do like circuits which involve gradients.....so Donington, Oulton, Anglesey, Cadwell are all favourites of mine (and co-incidentally more accessible )
Never warmed to Snet! somewhat unsurprising IMO since it's always bl..dy freezing being so close to Siberia although Knockhill takes some beating in that regard but the viewing is superb. As a spectator, Donington, Cadwell and Oulton are great but my goodness Anglesey requires some serious legwork! must be incredible to drive along with Cadwell my personal favourite.
justracing is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Sep 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4007275)   #907
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,071
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Never warmed to Snet! somewhat unsurprising IMO since it's always bl..dy freezing being so close to Siberia although Knockhill takes some beating in that regard but the viewing is superb. As a spectator, Donington, Cadwell and Oulton are great but my goodness Anglesey requires some serious legwork! must be incredible to drive along with Cadwell my personal favourite.

Anglesey is awesome, with the only caveat that admiring the beauty of Snowdon as you start the return trip towards the pits can be slightly distracting as you approach the corkscrew


@ Malcolm Smith - tempting, but as I share the Alfa with its owner in our CSCC series he might not want to let me loose with it I do have a cunning plan involving a 75 TS that I've had for years, however.
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Back Racing with CSCC, and another first, I've finally done a rolling start!
Quote
Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:52 (Ref:4007355)   #908
Paul D
Veteran
 
Paul D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
England
Southport, Merseyside
Posts: 606
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
@ Malcolm Smith - tempting, but as I share the Alfa with its owner in our CSCC series he might not want to let me loose with it I do have a cunning plan involving a 75 TS that I've had for years, however.
What's this Richard?

Have you been keeping secrets from us?

I think we should be told!
Paul D is offline  
__________________
"Light travels faster than sound - that's why, at first, some people appear bright... until you hear them speak!"
Quote
Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:59 (Ref:4007356)   #909
andy97
Veteran
 
andy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Posts: 4,412
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I do have a cunning plan involving a 75 TS that I've had for years, however.
Go on, Richard, do it. The world needs more Alfas racing
andy97 is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Sep 2020, 21:40 (Ref:4007466)   #910
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 3,071
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
What's this Richard?

Have you been keeping secrets from us?

I think we should be told!

I bought this 75 TS from Ebay years ago - it had been prepared by some guy as a trackday car - rebuilt engine and box, stripped interior, caged etc, but only used for one trackday then parked up at the back of the owners premises for 13 years before I bought it as his general car prep work got in the way.......on the way back from collecting it, Steve and I called in to see the 75 V6 that Dave Messenger had been running in the Alfa Championship, which he was selling as he was moving into a 156 TS. So Steve bought the V6 and as it was an up-and-running race car, that's what we've used. The TS has sat in my unit for another few years....it must be 20 years since it turned a wheel in anger, now, so I should do something with it, If I can dig my way through the other stuff in the unit......I'm a lot better at buying things than selling them (Edit: Just checked and I bought it in April 2012, so its well over 20 years since it was used....... )
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Back Racing with CSCC, and another first, I've finally done a rolling start!
Quote
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:19 (Ref:4007515)   #911
John Elwin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
France
Pas de Calais
Posts: 2,060
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I bought this 75 TS from Ebay years ago - it had been prepared by some guy as a trackday car - rebuilt engine and box, stripped interior, caged etc, but only used for one trackday then parked up at the back of the owners premises for 13 years before I bought it as his general car prep work got in the way.......on the way back from collecting it, Steve and I called in to see the 75 V6 that Dave Messenger had been running in the Alfa Championship, which he was selling as he was moving into a 156 TS. So Steve bought the V6 and as it was an up-and-running race car, that's what we've used. The TS has sat in my unit for another few years....it must be 20 years since it turned a wheel in anger, now, so I should do something with it, If I can dig my way through the other stuff in the unit......I'm a lot better at buying things than selling them (Edit: Just checked and I bought it in April 2012, so its well over 20 years since it was used....... )
A rather lovely 75 1.8 Turbo QV sold for £24,080 at Classics auction on Saturday.

Was it you passing by, by any chance?
John Elwin is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:29 (Ref:4007518)   #912
andy97
Veteran
 
andy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Posts: 4,412
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
A rather lovely 75 1.8 Turbo QV sold for £24,080 at Classics auction on Saturday.

Was it you passing by, by any chance?
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=99&t=1892486
andy97 is offline  
__________________
Born in the Midlands, made in the Royal Navy
Quote
Old 30 Sep 2020, 07:45 (Ref:4007524)   #913
John Elwin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
France
Pas de Calais
Posts: 2,060
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
He's a lucky man - or rather his wife is a lucky lady! Wonder who gets to drive it most...
John Elwin is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Sep 2020, 08:16 (Ref:4007532)   #914
midgetman
Veteran
 
midgetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
England
Rural Wiltshire
Posts: 5,630
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Back o the coronavirus...i did my first full MSUK weekend with masks Saturday/Sunday just gone. It really was no problem. I cannot understand those who kick up a fuss about it, compared to some of tjhe draconian measures we're seeing it's a minor inconvenience in order to keep racing.

Actually, the "draconian" 10:00pm curfew in the hotel probably saved me Saturday night. I'd had "some" beer and was lining up for "some" more, it was a very, very good job I was ushered off to bed
midgetman is offline  
__________________
Midgetman - known as Max Tyler to the world. MaxAttaq!
Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 (Ref:4011495)   #915
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,860
Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Not strictly motorsport, but an event run under MSUK permit...

The 2020 Veteran Car Run has now been cancelled..
Moneyseeker is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorsport forums Vs non-motorsport forums 275 GTB-4 Announcements and Feedback 12 16 Aug 2002 12:39


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 23:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.