Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2020, 08:41 (Ref:4010930)   #16
Taxi645
Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Netherlands
Posts: 486
Taxi645 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Seriously guys I don't think you have grasped the fanaticism that opposes the use of internal combustion engines in some very vocal quarters.They are going to be unobtainable for road use quite soon and you seem to believe it will be acceptable to scorch around circuits making lots of noise because you like the sound?We will be very lucky if motorsport still exists in ten years.It isn't a situation I like to contemplate,but how far are you willing to go to keep some form of high level competition?Even NASCAR is mapping a path to hybrid use,as it the BTCC so why should there be a money and hydrocarbon burning exception?
As said, what use is a 2025 hybrid formula gonna be? Any further lessons learned would hit the public road 2030 at the earliest. At that point we will be firmly in the electric era and hybrid will just be as irrelevant as a conventional combustion vehicle, just a multitude more expensive and heavier.

Synthetic fuels or battery is basically the same footprint. Both would use green electricity to store the energy, both are more or less co2 neutral (in case of synthetic fuel you first collect the co2 from the atmosphere to then use green electricity to create the fuel, so in the end more or less co2 neutral).

On the subject of sound, I don't think it is a good idea to go back to the noise levels of previous atmospheric F1 engines. Some sound damping would be in order (still vastly better sounding than the current ones).
Taxi645 is offline  
__________________
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Quote
Old 17 Oct 2020, 04:45 (Ref:4011101)   #17
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,476
Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
As said, what use is a 2025 hybrid formula gonna be? Any further lessons learned would hit the public road 2030 at the earliest. At that point we will be firmly in the electric era and hybrid will just be as irrelevant as a conventional combustion vehicle, just a multitude more expensive and heavier.

Synthetic fuels or battery is basically the same footprint. Both would use green electricity to store the energy, both are more or less co2 neutral (in case of synthetic fuel you first collect the co2 from the atmosphere to then use green electricity to create the fuel, so in the end more or less co2 neutral).

On the subject of sound, I don't think it is a good idea to go back to the noise levels of previous atmospheric F1 engines. Some sound damping would be in order (still vastly better sounding than the current ones).
I have always thought hybrids were a stop gap measure and had a short life cycle as a concept. Those of us who live in the more remote parts of the world realize the BEV's simply can't work and in the foreseeable future won't. In our metro areas and major highways they will but not out in the bush. The obvious solution to that is the range extender concept but that idea seems to have been ignored so far. In fact you could say that for the majority of the world BEV's are impossible and yet the major brands are saying they are abandoning the rest of the world by not planning any production of ICE's at all. It is obvious that ICE's will be needed but on present plans published it is hard to see who is going to build them. For the densly populated parts of the world BEV's are absolutely the future and there is no avoiding that.

As far as F1 goes I think they are between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to go. The next PU has to go into the mid 30's and by that time ICE will be the mainstream and not the oddity. No one has the crystal ball to say what will happen but in 5 years time they will introduce a PU for the next ten years and that is a lead time of 15 years to the end of that decision that is going to be made shortly. It certainly does not sound like a decision that can be made now.

The idea of going back to ICE with no turbo is purely fantasy of course so not worth discussing.
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Oct 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4011122)   #18
Taxi645
Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Netherlands
Posts: 486
Taxi645 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I have always thought hybrids were a stop gap measure and had a short life cycle as a concept. Those of us who live in the more remote parts of the world realize the BEV's simply can't work and in the foreseeable future won't. In our metro areas and major highways they will but not out in the bush. The obvious solution to that is the range extender concept but that idea seems to have been ignored so far. In fact you could say that for the majority of the world BEV's are impossible and yet the major brands are saying they are abandoning the rest of the world by not planning any production of ICE's at all. It is obvious that ICE's will be needed but on present plans published it is hard to see who is going to build them. For the densly populated parts of the world BEV's are absolutely the future and there is no avoiding that.

By 2030, ~60% of the world population will live in cities. Let's say that a conservative 15% of the remaining 40% who live in rural areas (especially in the developed world) can still use BEV's, you're looking at 75% of the world population that could use BEV's (not talking about if there is enough raw material for that or if the infrastructure will be there yet in 2030, so yes it will be lower).


All in all, I don't see a solid argumentation for the statement that from 2030 onwards for the majority of the world BEV's won't work.



For the other 25% and for the part of the world and for those for whom the raw materials will not be made available, synthetic fuels would have a far larger environmental impact than any multimillion hybrid F1 tech. The same goes for range extenders, synthetic fuels are relevant for those, F1 current engines won't be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
As far as F1 goes I think they are between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to go. The next PU has to go into the mid 30's and by that time ICE will be the mainstream and not the oddity. No one has the crystal ball to say what will happen but in 5 years time they will introduce a PU for the next ten years and that is a lead time of 15 years to the end of that decision that is going to be made shortly. It certainly does not sound like a decision that can be made now.


If the ICE will be still be the most used power source it will be cheap and simple engines, because of cost, RAW materials availibility, maintainability or infrastructure reasons. Synthetic fuels will be relevant for those engine's. F1's hybrid tech won't be because it's the exact opposite for what is required for those uses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The idea of going back to ICE with no turbo is purely fantasy of course so not worth discussing.
"of course" is not a substitute for argumentation.

Turbo's have pro's and con's just like any other technology. Efficiency is an advantage, total engine size is (although a V10 or V12 can be built very compact and light as well). Complexity, sound and driveability wise atmospheric has clear advantages.
Taxi645 is offline  
__________________
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Quote
Old 17 Oct 2020, 13:36 (Ref:4011141)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran
 
chillibowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Canada
winnipeg, canada
Posts: 7,334
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where will the oil companies be by 2030?

they are all suggesting they will be pumping significantly less oil and gas by then and their public profile may be better served by changing their advertising strategies.

Are they more or less likely to invest at their current level in a sport that is pushing the IC envelope or in one that is reverting to simpler engine tech from a half century ago?
chillibowl is online now  
__________________
Take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy.
Oh man, wonder if he'll ever know he's in the best selling show.
Is there life on Mars?
Quote
Old 17 Oct 2020, 13:43 (Ref:4011142)   #20
Taxi645
Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Netherlands
Posts: 486
Taxi645 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Where will the oil companies be by 2030?

they are all suggesting they will be pumping significantly less oil and gas by then and their public profile may be better served by changing their advertising strategies.

Are they more or less likely to invest at their current level in a sport that is pushing the IC envelope or in one that is reverting to simpler engine tech from a half century ago?

Synthetic fuel would be a mayor interest to oil companies, because it would allow them to reuse large parts of their infrastructure and product placement and project forward into a world that is increasingly critical of their current practises.


Oil companies have logically never really had mayor interest in fuel efficiency so pushing the IC envelope is less to their interest than pushing the fuel envelope.
Taxi645 is offline  
__________________
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Quote
Old 17 Oct 2020, 23:54 (Ref:4011229)   #21
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,014
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
A 3.5L V12.

That's it, no KERS, no Turbo's.
Yes, please! Excellent suggestion Taxi645.

That's not a power unit...




This is a power unit:


V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 18 Oct 2020, 01:35 (Ref:4011244)   #22
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL
 
Adam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
European Union
New Orleans
Posts: 35,127
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You talk a load of rubbish. This is a power unit.
Attached Thumbnails
DBAB91B5-2D31-4382-8123-E532966E2C5A.jpeg   3623B22D-C4EB-4813-B53E-2FBDE615ABA3.jpeg  
Adam43 is offline  
__________________
Always consider it could be sarcasm.
Quote
Old 18 Oct 2020, 08:07 (Ref:4011313)   #23
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,539
S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Not suggesting they turn a handle to start the engine like the old days?
S griffin is online now  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 18 Oct 2020, 15:19 (Ref:4011358)   #24
hondafan37
Veteran
 
hondafan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Posts: 1,616
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of ​​the V12 return.


What did happen to the idea of ​​2-stroke engines with eco fuel?
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...than-formula-e

A 2-stroke V12 would be very good.
hondafan37 is offline  
Quote
Old 18 Oct 2020, 17:06 (Ref:4011368)   #25
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Richard Casto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
United States
Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 3,738
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I like the idea of ​​the V12 return.


What did happen to the idea of ​​2-stroke engines with eco fuel?
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...than-formula-e

A 2-stroke V12 would be very good.
IMHO it was a combination of Achates Power (who have a horizontally opposed two stroke engine with novel solutions to address the negatives of two stroke including a diesel like ignition) in which their sales/marketing team is casting a wide net for a customer for their solution PLUS a slow news day in the motorsports world. They are currently focused on US DOD contracts and also a partnership with Ricardo (probably for things like truck engines, etc.). I am extremely doubtful any of this will show up in a serious way in motorsports. Especially not in a V12 F1 engine!

Their YouTube channel shows how it works as well as their focus. Actually not much in the way of recent news with them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfi...oXCCMB6TyXopYg

Here is the TT thread on the topic.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154889

Richard
Richard Casto is offline  
__________________
To paraphrase Mark Twain... "I'm sorry I wrote such a long post; I didn't have time to write a short one."
Quote
Old 19 Oct 2020, 06:23 (Ref:4011450)   #26
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,476
Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
IMHO it was a combination of Achates Power (who have a horizontally opposed two stroke engine with novel solutions to address the negatives of two stroke including a diesel like ignition) in which their sales/marketing team is casting a wide net for a customer for their solution PLUS a slow news day in the motorsports world. They are currently focused on US DOD contracts and also a partnership with Ricardo (probably for things like truck engines, etc.). I am extremely doubtful any of this will show up in a serious way in motorsports. Especially not in a V12 F1 engine!

Their YouTube channel shows how it works as well as their focus. Actually not much in the way of recent news with them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfi...oXCCMB6TyXopYg

Here is the TT thread on the topic.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154889

Richard
Electric trucks will leap frog any new IC/diesel advances, the transport industry is literally salivating over the idea. Way way lower maintenance issues (I was a fleet manager for a few years) far lower trip times, less driver fatigue etc. Modern trucks are very quite internally but on long haul the silence of the electric truck will be a boon for drivers. We had trips where the truck did five days non stop except for refuelling and meal breaks with the second driver in the sleeper over the motor trying to sleep and that is never nice. I predict on major highways that overhead catenary charging will top up the batteries on the roll so the recharging problem goes away.
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 19 Oct 2020, 15:32 (Ref:4011511)   #27
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,539
S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
What happens with trucks is irrelevant, it's fine for them, so I don't thing F1 really concerns itself with those vehicles there. I think the electric push is good in some areas, but not necessarily everywhere. Not knocking it, just think we shouldn't be comparing what happens in one area of transport with the whole of motorsport. Anyway technology on motor vehicles has been helped by F1 in some areas, but not all of them. I am sure all the electric motors have done just fine by themselves without needing any F1 technology, as they don't run on electrics and it's worked well for trucks, so that's all there is to it
S griffin is online now  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 20 Oct 2020, 01:46 (Ref:4011566)   #28
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,476
Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Anyway technology on motor vehicles has been helped by F1 in some areas, but not all of them.
Please list the break throughs in F1 hybrid technology have reached the production line. I was responding to Richard in my post but Mea Culpa and all that for the reply that was not needed from your good self.
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 20 Oct 2020, 02:04 (Ref:4011568)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran
 
chillibowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Canada
winnipeg, canada
Posts: 7,334
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In fairness most of the tech has crossed over already.

Granted the tech is not in your average family minivan, neither are v12s mind you, but Merc built around 300 Project One hypercars and sold each one of them for 3mil.

Between the cars themselves, service plans, plus who knows how many other Mercs one had to buy just for the privilege to buy a Project One, Merc made close to 1 billion dollars. Probably more even.

I would think it is fair to say that they successfully monitized their F1 engine program.

i suspect Ferrari will eventually do the same.
chillibowl is online now  
__________________
Take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy.
Oh man, wonder if he'll ever know he's in the best selling show.
Is there life on Mars?
Quote
Old 20 Oct 2020, 02:54 (Ref:4011571)   #30
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL
 
Adam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
European Union
New Orleans
Posts: 35,127
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have they actually built them?

And to think they only made 106 (V12) McLaren F1s.
Adam43 is offline  
__________________
Always consider it could be sarcasm.
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V12 says Berger! Marbot Formula One 22 23 Nov 2004 01:15
Ferrari V12 VS Flat12 Edmonton Formula One 20 27 Oct 2004 17:21
Honda V12 transverse engine Dani Filth Racing Technology 9 16 Sep 2003 05:16
BMW V12 LMR.... Whatever happened? Lee Janotta Sportscar & GT Racing 17 22 Mar 2002 13:17
Sounds of the 2002 Ferrari V12 Scottie Formula One 7 20 Dec 2001 20:16


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 19:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.