Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 28 Jul 2020, 06:58 (Ref:3991170)   #16
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those who long for the return of the MG name, or want to see another estate car in the championship - any chance the latest release might fit the bill?

New MG 5 electric estate headed to UK
'The Ei5 is 4.54m long, just under 1.82m wide and 1.54m tall, making it around 10cm shorter than the Ford Focus Estate, although its 2.67m wheelbase is only 43mm shorter.'
Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3991214)   #17
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or as is traditional around these parts - Kia to enter BTCC:

'The as-yet-unnamed EV was first detailed earlier this year as part of the Korean manufacturer's bold, £19 billion 'Plan S' strategy to transition to a producer of EVs and mobility solutions by 2025.'

Old 28 Jul 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3991243)   #18
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Or as is traditional around these parts - Kia to enter BTCC:

'The as-yet-unnamed EV was first detailed earlier this year as part of the Korean manufacturer's bold, £19 billion 'Plan S' strategy to transition to a producer of EVs and mobility solutions by 2025.'

Hmm can we start the Kia AND MG enter BTCC thread?

Actually, I wonder what are the plans for the UK market of MG, I could see them back in the BTCC provided there's a right model to stick to.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3991246)   #19
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Vilnius
billy bleach has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Hmm can we start the Kia AND MG enter BTCC thread?

Actually, I wonder what are the plans for the UK market of MG, I could see them back in the BTCC provided there's a right model to stick to.
Well it won be Mitsibushi- pulling out of Europe.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 08:10 (Ref:3996606)   #20
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXRPlatoConfirmed in press release
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR???Confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8CammishConfirmed in press release

Likely Entries   
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
SpeedworksToyota Corolla??? 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Moffat 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Sutton 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorgan 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class??? 
AmD (MB Motorsport)?????? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
HARDBMW 125iBoardley 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
Team ParkerBMW 125i??? 

Possible Entries   
SpeedworksToyota Corolla???Stated as planning for two cars at a given point

Entries with doubt   

Old 20 Aug 2020, 08:52 (Ref:3996613)   #21
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXRPlatoConfirmed in press release
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR???Confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8CammishConfirmed in press release

Likely Entries   
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
Excelr8Hyundai i30??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
WSRBMW 330i??? 
SpeedworksToyota Corolla??? 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Moffat 
Laser ToolsInfiniti Q50Sutton 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorgan 
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class??? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
AmD (Trade Price?)?????? 
HARDBMW 125iBoardley 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
HARD?????? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
MotorbaseFord Focus??? 
Team ParkerBMW 125i??? 

Possible Entries   
SpeedworksToyota Corolla???Stated as planning for two cars at a given point

Entries with doubt   

Good to see the table forming up, cheers.

RE PMR, have they confirmed an Astra VXR for next year? Such a thing doesn't currently exist but wondered if you've seen some confirmation they will run a new model next year?

I was actually wondering if they will run a Vauxhall at all - they seem to get almost no manufacturer support and at the 2020 Media Day, they had stripped all Vauxhall branding from 2019...

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3996621)   #22
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
Good to see the table forming up, cheers.

RE PMR, have they confirmed an Astra VXR for next year? Such a thing doesn't currently exist but wondered if you've seen some confirmation they will run a new model next year?

I was actually wondering if they will run a Vauxhall at all - they seem to get almost no manufacturer support and at the 2020 Media Day, they had stripped all Vauxhall branding from 2019...

Cheers,

Dave.
Oops - that was a typo that slipped on from a previous document (VXR). I'll put a question mark against the VXR in the next update.

The team have said it will still be running an Astra. Adam Weaver - 7 Jul 20: 'It means that weíve got even more time to develop the Astras and will come out of the blocks fighting next March!'

Is there a chance it will be a VXR?
Vauxhall still recognise the VXR brand on their website, listing past models and celebrating their history. A spokesperson is quoted as saying: 'VXR will survive; [without] six or eight cylinders and a turbocharger or two. Itíll need more efficient power sources. We havenít lost this sporting brand, and it will remain at the forefront of performance motoring in the mainstream. [VXR] will always be a hardcore offering, with a jump in performance as well as very focussed dynamics.'
Old 20 Aug 2020, 09:57 (Ref:3996625)   #23
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The VXR brand is on the cards for a return, market conditions being agreeable. And it may be eVXR. Or just plain VXR but with a green R in place of the red one.

The first car will be a Corsa, it will be hybrid and it will share drive train, chassis and pretty much most things with it's Peugeot 208 brother.

An Astra VXR would not be until after the next gen Astra has been around for a year or two and depend on market conditions. Ford, as I understand, do not believe their is a market that makes commercial sense for an RS version of the current Focus - likely PSA will be using similar methods to project product viability. I'm guessing not, unless the world economy is magically cured.

As for BTCC - expect the existing PMR cars back for next year.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3996627)   #24
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
An Astra VXR would not be until after the next gen Astra has been around for a year or two and depend on market conditions.
I'm not saying it is 100% accurate, but some circles are reporting that a VXR-badged Astra will be appearing as soon as 2021:

Carbuyer: 'a plug-in hybrid version of the new Astra will be offered. [...] The Hybrid4 will be badged as a VXR model, Vauxhallís performance moniker, and itíll have the acceleration and handling to suit the VXR badge. '

msn: 'But the Astra Hybrid4 VXR, [...] is expected to go on sale shortly after the new Astraís launch in 2021.'

I guess the chance of 2021 seeing a VXR in the BTCC depends on how much PSA (and the UK dealer network) want to get the VXR brand back in the forefront of the general public? It would mean moving to the new model, which PMR have not indicated as a possibility yet so I expect it is unlikely.

Some might argue that running an Astra VXR in the BTCC does not fit with the showroom model being a 1.6L (rumoured). But that hasn't stopped Motorbase sticking ST on their Focus, when the showroom model is a 2.3L.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3996639)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
It would be good to see VXR back and for me it would be reward to PMR to get that backing. In my view Vauxhall should be proud of how PMR have given success back to the brand with more than a few wins the past couple of seasons
Old 20 Aug 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3996640)   #26
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office.
medius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see Jason look into being more involved in the management side of PMR. He's stated on record in recent years he enjoys the wheeling and deal making part of motorsport as much or more than racing now he's older. Couple that with Adam weavers desire to bring through young talent and maybe JP is the next Mark Blundell in terms of being a career manager?
Old 20 Aug 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3996641)   #27
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Plato will really fancy another serious attempt at the title before retiring. Towards the end of 2019 he was right back on the pace again.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3996659)   #28
Matt K
Veteran

Maybe he'll give himself a year or two and then (depending on how he fares) he may decide to retire and focus on a more managerial role. With regards to that, I'm all for it. Like JP or not, he's got a great marketability, he can potentially attract some backing from sponsors/manufacturers and so on. So yes, hopefully he'll be another Mark Blundell in this regard.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3996669)   #29
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess it makes sense from a marketing standpoint to tie in a hybrid road car with the BTCC hybrid tech. One thing that they should consider is running a sleeker model. I know they are tied to a UK model for sale, but they need to look at something A3 saloon shaped as I think the Astra hatchback is too squat and stumpy and appears to have the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick. Are they still struggling for straight line speed as of end of 2019?
Old 20 Aug 2020, 16:23 (Ref:3996712)   #30
Matt K
Veteran

Apart from Astra the only option would be to bring Insignia back. Aerodynamics of this car look better than that of Astra, the question is with Insignia being even longer than a Beemer, isn't it simply too long?