Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 May 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3824383)   #151
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Channel 5 are still showing it, it was on last night! The day of the week seems to vary based on what other sport they are showing throughout the week.

I have set a series record up so I don't miss it, you can watch it on My5 here:

5 On Demand - WRC Highlights
That's funny, I couldn't find it in the Radio Times
Old 24 May 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3824424)   #152
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meeke got axed!

https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC/stat...89670819827712
Old 24 May 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3824432)   #153
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I had a feeling this might happen. I'm a fan of his and I'm disappointed but I just wish he had gotten more results. I hope they find some sponsors to run a privateer effort, maybe in a different car they can bounce back in due course. I hope so anyway. Chin up Kris and Paul.
Old 24 May 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3824438)   #154
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well I thought he'd be lucky to stay in the car for next season but that's brutal. I guess Ostberg will be the full time replacement. Tough on Meeke but it's not like he's just not been getting results - he's binned it in a big way on several occasions. Interesting quote though "given the risks involved were unjustified by the sporting stakes at play" - rally is by its very nature a risk, presumably the team think that Meeke was just pushing the car too hard and being reckless (as opposed to the preferable "wreckless" ).
Old 24 May 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3824441)   #155
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
It wasn't uncalled for perhaps if they wanted him to compete for the title from the start. I just saw this though. Made me feel a bit sorry for him now actually.

https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/s...95894491619329
Old 24 May 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3824444)   #156
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All very odd. Meeke puts a post up talking about the next round and his future at Citroen, minutes later Citroen are saying that they have parted ways?

Absolutely gutted for Meeke. He has been over the limit, but he is the only driver to claim any wins in the C3.

Probably unlikely to happen, but I would love to see another team give him a shot and for him to absolutely annihilate the C3's, just to confirm that it is the car at fault.
Old 24 May 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3824454)   #157
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
All very odd. Meeke puts a post up talking about the next round and his future at Citroen, minutes later Citroen are saying that they have parted ways?

Absolutely gutted for Meeke. He has been over the limit, but he is the only driver to claim any wins in the C3.

Probably unlikely to happen, but I would love to see another team give him a shot and for him to absolutely annihilate the C3's, just to confirm that it is the car at fault.
It was the same story last year when the drivers at Citroen thought they would be doing a round but instead got cut for it. Their ways of handling things and communication is just awful.

I have been wondering if Citroen might pull out. They cut down on the budget for this year, runs just two cars at rounds (I won't count Al-Qassimi since he is being outdriven by R5's) and now they have axed Meeke.
Old 24 May 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3824455)   #158
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Not surprised to be honest and Citroen have given him plenty of chances. He has spent too much time off the road and the last one was particularly nasty which could of had a worse outcome, so a responsible decision from Citroen IMO..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3824459)   #159
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Citroen could have handled it better, but then again they are not known for really supporting their drivers. In my view the car hasn’t always been the easiest to drive, yet Meeke has been the only one to win regularly despite throwing it off a few times. Citroen may come to regret this
Old 24 May 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3824466)   #160
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
It wasn't uncalled for perhaps if they wanted him to compete for the title from the start. I just saw this though. Made me feel a bit sorry for him now actually.

https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/s...95894491619329
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Meeke could have deliberately put that message up to make Citroën look bad. They are not treating him that well so he might as well return fire.
Old 24 May 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3824470)   #161
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Meeke could have deliberately put that message up to make Citroën look bad. They are not treating him that well so he might as well return fire.
Firstly, it's not a question of wether the post is real or not since it was a post by himself. You can't question the post's authenticity. The post is very much real.

Secondly, that is your interpretation. Just because you are critical of the truthfulness in his post doesn't mean that I can't believe what he posted.

Thirdly, how could he possibly have known that Citroen would make the announcement just after his post? In that case he would have to have known that they would post his axing at the time they did and also prepare his own words to post just before theirs. Also, do you really think they would have gone public with his axing if they had seen his post? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. He couldn't have returned the fire since the fire, their announcement, was not public yet.

Please don't question my judgement in the future.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3824538)   #162
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little precious of you fades.

This is a forum where peoples judgement is fluid, there is little need for that kind of attitude about something like this.

Meeke has been wayward for years and has got away with this ind of driving for a very long time in two careers.

he is putting himself and his co driver at risk with this almost routine crashing situation.

And clearly is never going to learn, as every other crash happy driver did, even mcRae to some extent.

This is not the way to win anything or market your product. the decision was already made before and has now finally been made.

And it is the right one.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3824545)   #163
S griffin
Veteran

Funny how Citroen never say anything bad about their car, that Meeke in between crashing has won several times. I would not be surprised if they get nowhere near a win now
Old 25 May 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3824556)   #164
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I never complained about the axing of Meeke. My point was that it was harsh on him since he thought he would continue.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3824558)   #165
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Funny how Citroen never say anything bad about their car, that Meeke in between crashing has won several times. I would not be surprised if they get nowhere near a win now
Meeke has been the quickest of the Citroen drivers - but at a cost. Of the other drivers both Mikklesen and Ostberg have been ok, Breen appears to be off the pace (but always looks like he's having a great time!), Loeb was a novelty entry and binned it (that's how bad the car is ) and Al Qassimi is a $$ entry only rather than a serious contender. So effectively all Citroen will achieve by getting rid of Meeke is reducing repair bills. Results will still be hard to come by as the car is, quite frankly, a bit of a pig.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3824560)   #166
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Firstly, it's not a question of wether the post is real or not since it was a post by himself. You can't question the post's authenticity. The post is very much real.

Secondly, that is your interpretation. Just because you are critical of the truthfulness in his post doesn't mean that I can't believe what he posted.

Thirdly, how could he possibly have known that Citroen would make the announcement just after his post? In that case he would have to have known that they would post his axing at the time they did and also prepare his own words to post just before theirs. Also, do you really think they would have gone public with his axing if they had seen his post? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. He couldn't have returned the fire since the fire, their announcement, was not public yet.

Please don't question my judgement in the future.
You honestly believe Citroën did not tell Meeke personally he was fired before they put the press release out there?
And yes Meeke would know when the directors were going to meet and evaluate his performance. And he would also have known it was not looking good for him. The exact same thing happened to him last season remember, so he could already anticipate what was going to happen.

As far as why Meeke would make that post. Well obviously to make Citroën look like the bad guys here. The way it looks now is that Meeke was completely oblivious until Citroën fired him by press release. You yourself said that Facebook post made you feel sorry for Meeke. By framing himself as 'innocent' and 'mistreated' he has a better chance of securing new sponsorships for the rest of his career.

By the way I am writing this as if Meeke conspired this himself. Actually he has PR and social media people working for him. I don't believe he himself is plotting this all, but his support team did have a hand in it.

Also, do not read this post as a defence of Citroën. They handled this situation very badly. Their whole wrc comeback has been one disaster after another. They should have done better.

Finally, you believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. This is a discussion forum after all.
Old 25 May 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3824564)   #167
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Just don't question the credibility of my post is what I meant, I should have made it more clear. It wasn't a random Tweet from some guy that heard Meeke would stay or something like that. My mistake.
Old 25 May 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3824622)   #168
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They won't win (well not on pace) - they haven't got the drivers (or the car to be fair). Safe 5,6,7th places will do Citroen very nicely.

Personally, I hope they pull the plug at the end of the year; they've been pretty awful since their comeback in 2017. And after taking a year out in 2016 - just what were they doing?

This Citroen team is miles away from the all conquering one which made fast & reliable cars....just what happened?
Old 26 May 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3824819)   #169
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
... they've been pretty awful since their comeback in 2017. And after taking a year out in 2016 - just what were they doing?

This Citroen team is miles away from the all conquering one which made fast & reliable cars....just what happened?
I wonder if the reference in this article to the C3's development through 2016 being both "financially and politically hamstrung" might partly explain what might have been going on.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...-under-control

The writer doesn't reveal the details but I wonder if the development wasn't at the tempo we assume it was perhaps because those paying the bills didn't really want the program to begin with. Who knows.
Old 26 May 2018, 20:25 (Ref:3824820)   #170
cg7aa
Veteran

Regarding Haddon's crash, has anyone seen any footage?
Old 26 May 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3824826)   #171
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Regarding Haddon's crash, has anyone seen any footage?
I don't think there is any, not public at least. I saw a video of the aftermath but not the crash itself.
Old 26 May 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3824829)   #172
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That article is written by Evans, who is so far up any Brit drivers arse, I would not believe a thing he writes to be honest

He is in the Mcrae idolisation camp, and Meeke is like a son.

So wouldn't put any trust in that at all. Just sour grapes.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3827539)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

Well it seems Breen thinks Citroen will struggle with development now Meeke has gone. So it seems even his own team mates think it’s a bad decision
Old 8 Jun 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3827615)   #174
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Citroen have also confirmed their intention to stay in WRC for a couple more years at least (although that of course means very little if PSA pull the plug anyway).
Old 8 Jun 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3827617)   #175
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Citroen have also confirmed their intention to stay in WRC for a couple more years at least (although that of course means very little if PSA pull the plug anyway).
True, just like VW and Ford in WRX, although for different reasons.