Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Dec 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3785922)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Thanks for looking. Yeah, I've seen that basic outline. Thankfully, as I've checked again, the official track website has actually updated the track diagrams, so at least some of them show more of the link roads and roughly how it all fits together.

I just wish there was something less crude out there, for one, to give a better idea of the actual shape of some of the corners. The elevation changes and cambered corners are nice, but I'm not convinced about how it will translate to the actual racing.

I hope this place "pops" more than, say, the track formerly known as Miller Motorsport Park, but I'm really not sure that it will. (Please put in some trees, and make sure there are landmarks, other than the pit building.)
Old 9 Dec 2017, 02:10 (Ref:3785958)   #27
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks good. Nice shot from the air on Australian F3 site.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3785968)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Santo tour down under facebook page just showed stuart o grady doing a lap on a bike (well abrief 1 min clip)

worth a look if you want to see more of the track,
Old 13 Jan 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3792400)   #29
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Onboard lap of the full circuit. Looking pretty good!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...78cfe35046c98a
Old 13 Jan 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3792530)   #30
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to see how this translates to the paying punter out there. As is the case with many of these multi configuration circuits, a lot of the circuit mightn't be accessible for viewing. Time will tell.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 02:38 (Ref:3792598)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Interesting to see how this translates to the paying punter out there. As is the case with many of these multi configuration circuits, a lot of the circuit mightn't be accessible for viewing. Time will tell.
She's in the middle of a long way from anywhere.. accessibility is a genuine issue..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Jan 2018, 01:58 (Ref:3792779)   #32
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have booked a nice little houseboat in Murray Bridge for August....

Accommodation in Tailem Bend itself is a bit skinny but there's plenty in Murray Bridge - some over in the wine country at Strathalbyn too.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 15 Jan 2018, 05:01 (Ref:3792805)   #33
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Have booked a nice little houseboat in Murray Bridge for August....

Accommodation in Tailem Bend itself is a bit skinny but there's plenty in Murray Bridge - some over in the wine country at Strathalbyn too.
I might have to go now I know you are going AP.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3792809)   #34
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
She's in the middle of a long way from anywhere.. accessibility is a genuine issue..
With all due respect, GTR, it's a genuine non-issue.

The Bend is an hour from the middle of Adelaide's CBD, with 90% of that on a 110kph Freeway, on which the circuit is located. It could not be easier to get to from the city, let alone any of the suburbs in the East or foothills. Once you get on Glen Osmond road out of the city you.. drive straight for an hour and reach your destination, on the left.

If an hour from the middle of a city of 1.2 million is 'the middle of a long way from anywhere' then I'd hate to see what Phillip Island or Winton are classified as, because they're two hours out at best (without taking into account any dramas on the Monash or the Hume).

Sydney Motorsport Park is 50 minutes from Sydney airport when traffic is good (so: never) and that's still in the suburbs!

It's 40 minutes from the Adelaide Hills and 20 minutes from a lot of the lower Murraylands, Lake Alexandrina and surrounding tourism regions... it's even 65 minutes to the Barossa Valley if you are so inclined.

Murray Bridge, as others have noted, is 15 minutes away and I bet within two years has a thriving Air BnB market for major events at the Bend, much in the same way much of Bathurst departs each February and October to make some cash out of renting their houses out.

I would argue that 'in the middle of a long way from anywhere' is actually 'located where no one will ever complain about noise, ever' and ideally placed to draw easily from not only the city and the 'burbs but the South East and even Victoria.

At a guess, I would argue that there is a similar amount of accommodation within 30-40 minutes drive of The Bend as there is within the same radius of the Phillip Island GP track.

I just don't get the 'but it's so hard to get to / there's no where to stay' argument that keeps popping up about this place because it's absolutely a non issue.

As for spectating, having seen the place I think it may surprise. There will be some good viewing areas. It'll be Phillip Island like in sight-lines, though you'll be able to see more across the circuit as there's no pit building in the middle.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3792852)   #35
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No different to Pukekohe, about an hour to Auckland.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 01:59 (Ref:3793029)   #36
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Accommodation is more the issue than accessibility.
But as mentioned things will change to suit.
Buying a place out there to AirBnb is already a conversation we've had at home and I bet plenty of others have thought the same.
Apparently Mr Shahin went and bought everything in the real estate windows up that way months ago
Old 16 Jan 2018, 02:12 (Ref:3793030)   #37
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Buying a place out there to AirBnb is already a conversation we've had at home and I bet plenty of others have thought the same.
Apparently Mr Shahin went and bought everything in the real estate windows up that way months ago
Part of that may be so he can offer accommodation to competitors and people running events at the circuit.
Richard is right about access to the circuit from Adelaide.It has been a few years since I've been there but couldn't imagine an easier 1 hour drive.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 03:58 (Ref:3793036)   #38
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Part of that may be so he can offer accommodation to competitors and people running events at the circuit.
Almost certainly the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Richard is right about access to the circuit from Adelaide.It has been a few years since I've been there but couldn't imagine an easier 1 hour drive.
Its an easy drive for sure and many wont find it an issue.

Bit different though for the big numbers used to pouring out of Clipsal into the CBD. A lot of the Clipsal clan won't attend the event at Tailem Bend because what are they doing once they walk out the gate?
Old 16 Jan 2018, 04:09 (Ref:3793038)   #39
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post

The Bend is an hour from the middle of Adelaide's CBD, with 90% of that on a 110kph Freeway, on which the circuit is located. It could not be easier to get to from the city, let alone any of the suburbs in the East or foothills. Once you get on Glen Osmond road out of the city you.. drive straight for an hour and reach your destination, on the left.

If an hour from the middle of a city of 1.2 million is 'the middle of a long way from anywhere' then I'd hate to see what Phillip Island or Winton are classified as, because they're two hours out at best (without taking into account any dramas on the Monash or the Hume).

Sydney Motorsport Park is 50 minutes from Sydney airport when traffic is good (so: never) and that's still in the suburbs!

It's 40 minutes from the Adelaide Hills and 20 minutes from a lot of the lower Murraylands, Lake Alexandrina and surrounding tourism regions... it's even 65 minutes to the Barossa Valley if you are so inclined.

Murray Bridge, as others have noted, is 15 minutes away and I bet within two years has a thriving Air BnB market for major events at the Bend, much in the same way much of Bathurst departs each February and October to make some cash out of renting their houses out.

I would argue that 'in the middle of a long way from anywhere' is actually 'located where no one will ever complain about noise, ever' and ideally placed to draw easily from not only the city and the 'burbs but the South East and even Victoria.

At a guess, I would argue that there is a similar amount of accommodation within 30-40 minutes drive of The Bend as there is within the same radius of the Phillip Island GP track.

I just don't get the 'but it's so hard to get to / there's no where to stay' argument that keeps popping up about this place because it's absolutely a non issue.

As for spectating, having seen the place I think it may surprise. There will be some good viewing areas. It'll be Phillip Island like in sight-lines, though you'll be able to see more across the circuit as there's no pit building in the middle.
Winton is 2 hours from Melbourne and they don't suffer too much
Old 16 Jan 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3793053)   #40
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree Richard, we race at PI every year and I think there is a similar amount of accommodation in that time range, if you include the Victor Harbor/Goolwa area it's also beachfront accommodation just like PI, only a short ferry over the Murray from Wellington and you are there
Old 16 Jan 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3793059)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Great post, on FB or speedcafe i would have thrown you a like for it

Thats about how i see it as well. whats that other big track thats a few hours from a major capital (on a worse road) Mt panorama or something similar, it seems to go ok

an enterprising land owner my bring in a toilet bloke and rent tent sights at a few bob each

I went to mallala back in 97, it took much more than an hour up a dirt road to get back to adelaide

Ps only shortened to save space, nothing else
Old 17 Jan 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3793224)   #42
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Please do, so that Easterners can come and stay...I am already planning a visit incl Woodside, Hahndorf, Lobethal, Gumeracha, Victor Harbour, the Clare etc

For the above reasons, I'm thinking that some may consider places within a short drive to the circuit but closer to other attractions
Old 17 Jan 2018, 06:52 (Ref:3793260)   #43
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
275. The fabulous National Motor Museum is in Birdwood - only an hour away.

Put that on your list too!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 17 Jan 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3793281)   #44
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Please do, so that Easterners can come and stay...I am already planning a visit incl Woodside, Hahndorf, Lobethal, Gumeracha, Victor Harbour, the Clare etc

For the above reasons, I'm thinking that some may consider places within a short drive to the circuit but closer to other attractions
Be sure to take in their "Big" thing; the Giant Rocking Horse.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3793312)   #45
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It can be accessed easily by the Princes Highway from Adelaide.
Directions

Teams could still stay at the Adelaide Hilton or Adelaide Holiday Inn or whatever if they wanted to, albeit a convenient hotel is provided by the propriators on site IIRC.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 02:05 (Ref:3793461)   #46
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers to all, not my first time over that way...used to regularly fly in when we were building Land Rovers at Wingfield (argh...the perfumed air when the wind was blowing the wrong way)...and Osborne for the gazunders...not to mention ATC stuff at ADL Airport and the hills :-)

Rocking Horses? I vaguely remember something like that over Hahndorf way...

Saddest is that the fella with all the Arials out near Tanunda has upped stakes???
Old 18 Jan 2018, 02:26 (Ref:3793467)   #47
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Cheers to all, not my first time over that way...used to regularly fly in when we were building Land Rovers at Wingfield (argh...the perfumed air when the wind was blowing the wrong way)...and Osborne for the gazunders...not to mention ATC stuff at ADL Airport and the hills :-)

Rocking Horses? I vaguely remember something like that over Hahndorf way...

Saddest is that the fella with all the Arials out near Tanunda has upped stakes???
have done a really enjoyable barossa tour which includes the rocking horse, picks up from motel in adelaide
Old 18 Jan 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3793517)   #48
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
have done a really enjoyable barossa tour which includes the rocking horse, picks up from motel in adelaide
Don't forget to stop by the Collingrove Hillclimb at Angaston.

You could even enter your AVIS rental Corolla in the event, because why not?
Old 18 Jan 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3793521)   #49
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

just pay the excess waiver
Old 20 Jan 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3793957)   #50
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

Ahhhhhh poop! I explored that area a little in the past (eg Seppeltsfield tour) and didn't think of checking out Collingrove...