Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3863177)   #1551
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Entirely possible - but they'd need to come up with the goods pretty soon now....
Old 14 Nov 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3863223)   #1552
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Fred is to come back to F1, of course he can't leave it too long. 2020 by the latest
Old 15 Nov 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3863512)   #1553
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he's lent his name to drivex (a well established spanish team) to run a team in formula renault next year, so i suspect his focus is probably going to be, like button, less and less on f1 and more and more on the other joys of motorsport as time goes on.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3863515)   #1554
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Anyway Bob Fearnley is going to run the Indycar program. Glad to see they value him highly
Old 15 Nov 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3863527)   #1555
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think Fred is to come back to F1, of course he can't leave it too long. 2020 by the latest
Agree. But I would say... At the "earliest" and the "latest".

2019 seats that Alonso would take are done. 2020 is likely an uphill climb. It would take a retirement from the #1 drivers for each team (Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen) or a #2 to not work out (Bottas, Leclerc or Gasly). The second scenario is more likely and even then, the #1 may push back against being paired with Alonso. Additionally, Alonso will have been away from the sport for a year.

The odds get longer each year he is away. I don't see him coming back to join a team that can't realistically compete for a win.

I think if it doesn't happen in 2020, it will probably not happen at all. And I am doubtful it will happen in 2020.

Richard
Old 15 Nov 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3863547)   #1556
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

2019 seats that Alonso would take are done. 2020 is likely an uphill climb. It would take a retirement from the #1 drivers for each team (Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen) or a #2 to not work out (Bottas, Leclerc or Gasly). The second scenario is more likely and even then, the #1 may push back against being paired with Alonso. Additionally, Alonso will have been away from the sport for a year.

The odds get longer each year he is away. I don't see him coming back to join a team that can't realistically compete for a win.

I think if it doesn't happen in 2020, it will probably not happen at all. And I am doubtful it will happen in 2020.

Richard
I think if Renault manage to get on pace, Fred may well be there in 2020.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3863548)   #1557
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think if Renault manage to get on pace, Fred may well be there in 2020.
A Daniel Ricciardo/Fernando Alonso show would be awesome to watch...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Nov 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3863551)   #1558
S griffin
Veteran

I think at least he’ll be keeping himself race sharp in 2019, should he return to F1 in 2020
Old 17 Nov 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3863805)   #1559
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Anyway Bob Fearnley is going to run the Indycar program. Glad to see they value him highly
Spot on, always had respect for the guy. Pleased for him after being unceremoniously booted out of Force India or whatever they're called now.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3864472)   #1560
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Drivers like Alonso won't be adversely affected by being away from F1 for a year or even longer. He'd understand anything new/different and be on the pace within a few laps of a return.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3864581)   #1561
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
age has to be a factor though.

a year or two away would still mark him a few years younger then Schumi was on his return (who was 41 i think). of course with Schumi there was an accident in his intervening years off that may have factored into him getting back to top form (if he ever did is of course debatable though). provided Alonso stays healthy, age may not be as big of an issue.

the lack of (imo noticeable) fan fare in the paddock surrounding his leaving leaves me with the feeling that no one really wants him back...if true that could be the bigger obstacle for his return.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3864622)   #1562
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Drivers like Alonso won't be adversely affected by being away from F1 for a year or even longer. He'd understand anything new/different and be on the pace within a few laps of a return.
I don't think that's a given. Too many variables between now and a possible return in 2020.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 01:43 (Ref:3864631)   #1563
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the lack of (imo noticeable) fan fare in the paddock surrounding his leaving leaves me with the feeling that no one really wants him back...if true that could be the bigger obstacle for his return.
Did Alonso offer to drive for free for HAAS or Williams? If so, surely they would have taken him.

Since Ferrari and Mercedes, despite vacant seats, had no interest in Alonso... the next logical option would be to look towards solid mid-pack teams.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3864724)   #1564
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Did Alonso offer to drive for free for HAAS or Williams? If so, surely they would have taken him.

Since Ferrari and Mercedes, despite vacant seats, had no interest in Alonso... the next logical option would be to look towards solid mid-pack teams.
How would those options be any different than staying with McLaren? None of these teams are race winners. I suspect Alonso wants to be winning races or at least standing on the podium. And I also doubt he is interested in giving his services up for free (or low cost) unless it gives him what he wants. I can only see him racing for less than top dollar to achieve the triple crown. So Indy and Lemans may get him at a bargain and even then, only if they are able to deliver wins. In F1 he probably feels his value is established and would expect to be compensated at a level near who he feels are his peers.

Richard
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3864781)   #1565
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

No point?

Senna only offered to drive for top teams for free when he got fed up with below par McLaren's and it still took him 2-3 years to get his hands on a championship car again.

Alonso didn't even offer to drive for a top team for free.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3864788)   #1566
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nice / different colour scheme for Fred’s car this weekend.....

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...33983-36366415
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3864790)   #1567
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah! Go Faster stripes!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3864792)   #1568
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
certainly Alonso is a polarizing figure so no doubt im showing my bias here but if i was running an F1 team i would not take the risk at any level of compensation, free or otherwise.

whether its in cockpit comments (which of course FOM plays up but Alonso is smart enough to know his comments are being broadcast) or his post race comments about how much he dislikes F1 (not that i completely disagree with him on that mind you) but he seems intent on burning down the house on his way out.

maybe its just me but Alonso strikes me as a pretty bitter person. no doubt years in a mediocre car can do that but he is who he is now so why would anyone want that in their team, particularity, given the amount of talent out there that actually wants to be sitting in an F1 car.

i dont think he is coming back.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3864812)   #1569
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd take him tomorrow - if I had a decent car.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3864818)   #1570
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah! Go Faster stripes!
They might help him go faster.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3864832)   #1571
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
And maybe, just maybe, he's just had enough. It happens, ya' know....

jimclark
Old 21 Nov 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3864842)   #1572
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
And maybe, just maybe, he's just had enough. It happens, ya' know....
Maybe he has had enough. A rather unspectacular return to Renault from 2008-'09. A frustrating 5 years at Ferrari, finishing runner up thrice in 2010, '12 and '13. In 2010 by only 4 points and in '12 by only 3 points. Followed by another 4 years in the Doldrums with McLaren.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3864846)   #1573
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
certainly Alonso is a polarizing figure so no doubt im showing my bias here but if i was running an F1 team i would not take the risk at any level of compensation, free or otherwise.

whether its in cockpit comments (which of course FOM plays up but Alonso is smart enough to know his comments are being broadcast) or his post race comments about how much he dislikes F1 (not that i completely disagree with him on that mind you) but he seems intent on burning down the house on his way out.

maybe its just me but Alonso strikes me as a pretty bitter person. no doubt years in a mediocre car can do that but he is who he is now so why would anyone want that in their team, particularity, given the amount of talent out there that actually wants to be sitting in an F1 car.

i dont think he is coming back.
In all fairness to Fred, both McLaren and Renault seem to be very loyal to him, I wonder how many of the barbs at Honda were sanctioned by McLaren management before, to try and motivate Honda.

Earlier in his career he was very divisive, but I do think his whole Indy venture put him in a very different light and showed a different side of his character. I will be sorry to see him go.

His departure is far more a criticism of F1, than a character flaw in Fred.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 22:27 (Ref:3864868)   #1574
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'd take him tomorrow - if I had a decent car.
Same here. If Racing Point Force India had been clever... it could have been a really interesting match. Meantime, Mr Alonso will drive WEC... and the Indy 500... and maybe NASCAR road races...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Nov 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3864892)   #1575
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe he has had enough. A rather unspectacular return to Renault from 2008-'09. A frustrating 5 years at Ferrari, finishing runner up thrice in 2010, '12 and '13. In 2010 by only 4 points and in '12 by only 3 points. Followed by another 4 years in the Doldrums with McLaren.
Possibly.

I was talkin' more like he's simply had enough, period. No other reasons, causes or dislikes. Plain old tired of the routine is my thought.
Eighteen years, year in and year out, is quite a while to be doing anything....time to move on....maybe a simple change is the order of the day.

jimclark