Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2019, 21:10 (Ref:3894543)   #1676
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Also easily forgotten that Alonso had better results in the first two races of 2018.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 21:57 (Ref:3894554)   #1677
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Have to say that I’ve been very critical of McLaren in recent years, but they look pretty impressive this year so far. Early days but well done to them.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 23:05 (Ref:3894568)   #1678
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Same was said last season though I do seem to remember
Old 1 Apr 2019, 05:23 (Ref:3894592)   #1679
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Same was said last season though I do seem to remember
This time last year after Bahrain, McLaren had 22 points. This year they have 8. And that is recovery??
Old 1 Apr 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3894605)   #1680
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am not sure I get your point? Are you saying Alonso screwed up by not racing for McLaren in 2019? If so, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. McLaren is showing evidence of fighting for the top of the midfield, not for wins. We are only barely two races in. I think Alonso would return only if he can drop into a winning team. I suspect he has zero regrets right now with respect to 2019.

Richard
Yes, he screwed up because he is impatient and hopefully F1 is shot of him permanently. I hope he writes the book some day, I want to see how he blames everyone else for his lack of success in the latter part of his career. You may have gathered that I am not a fan and you would be right.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 18:33 (Ref:3894720)   #1681
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This time last year after Bahrain, McLaren had 22 points. This year they have 8. And that is recovery??
They've made progress since last season, remember they went backwards massively during the season. I know it's early days yet but they've not been making a big song and dance about the car, despite what I thought was a very good winter test.

They comfortably got both cars in Q3 and I can't recall a McLaren attacking a Red Bull on merit for years! If Sainz had been a bit wiser with his defense he may have been chasing down Bottas or keeping Verstappen honest too. Norris made good steady progress through the field after a poor start which is something I haven't seen McLaren do in a long time either.

I'm cautiously optimistic this season, reliability looks like it might be an issue but if they keep their heads down and keep developing I think they may pull off a few surprises.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3894726)   #1682
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Yes, he screwed up because he is impatient and hopefully F1 is shot of him permanently. I hope he writes the book some day, I want to see how he blames everyone else for his lack of success in the latter part of his career. You may have gathered that I am not a fan and you would be right.
Impatient? He was with Ferrari for 5 years and McLaren more recently, for 4 years. The success he sought in F1, during the later part of his career, hasn't materialised. However, success has come in the form of Le Mans, Daytona and Sebring. Who knows, he might win the 500.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3894753)   #1683
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Impatient? He was with Ferrari for 5 years and McLaren more recently, for 4 years. The success he sought in F1, during the later part of his career, hasn't materialised. However, success has come in the form of Le Mans, Daytona and Sebring. Who knows, he might win the 500.
Indeed!
I would add that it doesn't matter to anyone else what driver's we like or not. Anyone who claims Alonso is anything other than one of the best is deluding themselves.
In a similar vein, Hamilton isn't hugely popular among old school enthusiasts but it is undeniable that he is a fantastic natural driver.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 05:48 (Ref:3894777)   #1684
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As long as he does not return to F1 I don't care what he wins. Remind me how long did Michael Schumacher have to wait before he began winning at Ferrari?
Old 2 Apr 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3894778)   #1685
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Indeed!
I would add that it doesn't matter to anyone else what driver's we like or not. Anyone who claims Alonso is anything other than one of the best is deluding themselves.
In a similar vein, Hamilton isn't hugely popular among old school enthusiasts but it is undeniable that he is a fantastic natural driver.
No delusions, Alonso is one of the best but that didn't get him a seat in a winning car.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3894819)   #1686
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As long as he does not return to F1 I don't care what he wins. Remind me how long did Michael Schumacher have to wait before he began winning at Ferrari?
He won 3 times in his first season with them...
Old 2 Apr 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3894822)   #1687
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not sure what point you are getting at here.

Alonso - won his first race, and more in that season.
Schumacher - won his seventh race, and more in that season.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3894830)   #1688
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Schumi won the Spanish, Belgian and Italian GPs, in his first season with Ferrari in 1996, as well as 5 other podium finishes and don't forget, he had already won the WDC twice, back to back in 1994 and '95.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3895217)   #1689
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can we please refocus the thread on McLaren 2019 rather than the merits of lack thereof of Alonso's decision-making skills and attitude?

We don't want this to turn into a driver bashing thread, particularly when it is not focused solely on one driver. Can we please frame mentions of Alonso more within the context of 2019? Thanks.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3895347)   #1690
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Fred himself says the car is better than last season, which shows McLaren are improving
Old 9 Apr 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3896431)   #1691
RichRBX
Rookie

RichRBX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think they can compete.
They've stepped up since last year and Norris is performing very well.
I've loved McLaren since I was young with the days of Hakkinen.
I always remember that overtake at Spa.

Rich

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Apr 2019 at 00:23. Reason: Link to user's commercial website unrelated to post removed. Welcome to 10-10ths, but please check out the rules.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 23:00 (Ref:3896906)   #1692
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Rich.

We could do with evocative names like McLaren and Williams in the thick of it, not making up the numbers.
Old 14 Apr 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3897385)   #1693
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great qualifying this weekend but they had excellent race pace! Of course we must thank Danil Kvyat for torpedoing both McLarens, so no points to show. 🙄
Old 14 Apr 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3897391)   #1694
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a shame.
Old 13 May 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3903545)   #1695
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So last year they started off alright, brought quite a big upgrade for Barcelona which didn’t seem to do much, then slid slowly down to the back of the grid as the year progressed. Hmmm, I guess it’s crunch time. Interesting that they’ve switched to the aero philosophy that Ferrari seem to think might be a mistake. I do hope they make it work. Still early days.
Old 13 May 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3903552)   #1696
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
So last year they started off alright, brought quite a big upgrade for Barcelona which didn’t seem to do much, then slid slowly down to the back of the grid as the year progressed. Hmmm, I guess it’s crunch time. Interesting that they’ve switched to the aero philosophy that Ferrari seem to think might be a mistake. I do hope they make it work. Still early days.
How do the standings after this year's Spanish GP, compare with last year's race? Norris and Sainz are 10th and 11th, with McLaren 4th in the WCC.
Old 13 May 2019, 21:15 (Ref:3903570)   #1697
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How do the standings after this year's Spanish GP, compare with last year's race? Norris and Sainz are 10th and 11th, with McLaren 4th in the WCC.
Last year they were 5th after Spain with 40 points
Old 13 May 2019, 22:35 (Ref:3903587)   #1698
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
Last year they were 5th after Spain with 40 points
Thanks, now 4th with 22 points, quite a change in circumstances.
Old 14 May 2019, 00:37 (Ref:3903606)   #1699
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The top 3 teams are even further ahead than last year, with Gasly being the only weak(ish) link.

They also don't have the brilliance of Alonso and the usual strange result early in the season.

I actually think aside from pure points, McLaren are doing better this year.
Old 18 May 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3904515)   #1700
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This will be a blow for McLaren.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/143469