Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Dec 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2998333)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
50th Anniversaries

Well we've had the Minis, and this year the E-types, and we've discussed at length the old favourite, the MGB coming up in 2012. However, I was surprised that it has been so quiet about the Cobra, as surely, in many ways it's as noteworthy. Anyway, I see that Goodwood have allocated a race of their own for next year's Revival (see this weeks Autosport - page 89), but is this really the only Cobra only race next year?

Oh, and noting Simon Hadfield's mention of Aston Project 212, one of my favourite of all competition cars, on another thread, that too celebrates 50 years next year. Only a one off, of course, but a race winning car in the right hands. Now I wonder if we could persuade the owner to put another driver alongside David Clark in order to win a couple of the Pre 63 races next year to celebrate this great car. Now, can't think who I might put in that!

Any other 50th's next year, worthy of celebrating on track?
Old 11 Dec 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2998338)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Oh, and noting Simon Hadfield's mention of Aston Project 212, one of my favourite of all competition cars, on another thread, that too celebrates 50 years next year. Only a one off, of course, but a race winning car in the right hands.
Given a couple of weeks I'm certain there could be a full grid of them.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2998341)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heaven forbid, Peter! Very difficult to do as no base production car to use, as it was a genuine one off Le Mans prototype! There are a couple of 214 Replicas out there but they are well documented. In fact Wolfgang Friedrichs, who owns 212, also owns DP214R1 (Replica 1-my designation).
Old 11 Dec 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2998349)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Cortina is 50 next year

did they make enough Cobras to fill a grid in period? bad move IMO, but I'm no fan of one make races.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2998350)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
More than enough, I think Joe, although how many were racers in period is another matter. They are aiming for 30. I'm not a great fan of one model races or series either, to be honest, but has to be done, I guess!
Old 11 Dec 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2998388)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm going to play in the MGB50 series this year. But generally one make racing is a bit tedious. I started reading the Classic and Sportscar article but seeing as the mag is at home I'll wait until Christmas. However the bit I read seemed surprisingly positive. Also I note Barry Sideways will be entering the Le Mans Classic with DRX255C. The article describes it as being alloy bodied but I think it only had alloy front wings, bonnet and doors and that at least one wing was destroyed in 1966 by Syd Enever on the TdeF.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2998400)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It will be 50th anniversary of the year Chris Lawrence & Morgan Plus 4 TOK 258 took a class win at Le Mans. I guess this is why the car reportably to be carrying that chassis number came up for auction recently, so that it can be readied in time for LMC next year!

Reckon there will be a lot of owners of said model applying for places- I won't be one of them!

Maybe there will be a low key Plus 4 only race in the UK somewhere during the year.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2998442)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually it was Roger Enerver.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2998446)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
funny, I've built 3 plus four engines this year . . .never done one before!
Old 12 Dec 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2998890)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Alfa Giulia 105 series is 50 next year, too, IIRC. (Though I'm not sure if they went in sale until '63 - in Uk at least.)
Old 12 Dec 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2998897)   #11
lynxlad
Rookie

England
lincs
lynxlad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

1962 BRM won constuctors plus drivers world championship with Graham Hill.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2998954)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
so basically . . . as the Specials sang so wonderfully (and still do as witnessed last month)

ITS ALL A LOAD OF UNDECARRIAGE