Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:27 (Ref:2760157)   #651
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
How do you mean "says what ? I dont get your question Dave ?

Just pointing out that the Dome now has the latest aero mods on it ..... why , when it is supposed to be a finished program ?

Did you even look at the pics ?

What it says in pics , is that there is a Dome modified to the latest aero mods , thats what the pics says .

God !!!

Sorry, I was referring to the many hundreds of Japanese characters surrounding the photos. I assumed there was more to the story in those characters and you had some way of reading them. I have never messed with different languages via windows except some BabelFish fumblings.
Yes I saw the photos. No I wasn't clear enough in my response.
My 'guess' would be they had the Yen to design the updates. But was that just a scale Aero Model or the actual car? CAD is probably expensive but not nearly as much as full sized wind tunnel parts fabrication.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2760233)   #652
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
LOL and that says WHAT?
http://translate.google.com/translat...2Fmdt_003.html

It says that they developed it, but now it's cancelled and won't race.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2760353)   #653
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat...2Fmdt_003.html

It says that they developed it, but now it's cancelled and won't race.
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say that the S102 was cancelled so they could use the technology learned on a car called something else for a manufacturer partner!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2760361)   #654
davehenrie
Racer

United States
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say that the S102 was cancelled so they could use the technology learned on a car called something else for a manufacturer partner!

Good plan, but if I'm President of DAVE MOTORS and I'm funding the project, then it wouldn't take much more than a new decal to change the Dome to a DAVE. (mkIII) They wouldn't need to build an entirely new machine based upon the lessons of the current car. They HAVE the car. They just don't HAVE the funding.

dh

ps, I'm getting ready to move to Texas so I won't be able to reply for a couple of weeks. I won't be online til early October...if all goes well.
ddhh
Old 16 Sep 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2760380)   #655
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Good luck with the move Dave ..... I dont envy you , a real pain . Hopefully everything will be great once you get down to Mr.Dubya territory .
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2767097)   #656
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Remodeling S102 was completed.
http://twitpic.com/2t9prx
Old 30 Sep 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2767107)   #657
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Remodeling S102 was completed.
http://twitpic.com/2t9prx
To 2010 regulation .
Unfortunately no fin.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2777249)   #658
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry for off topic.
This is a sketch of an electric vehicle by Dome that Mionoru Hayashi designed. (not by Adrian Newey )
http://twitpic.com/2yx911
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2777446)   #659
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sorry for off topic.
This is a sketch of an electric vehicle by Dome that Mionoru Hayashi designed. (not by Adrian Newey )
http://twitpic.com/2yx911
There are similarities to the S102
Old 20 Oct 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2777482)   #660
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
There are similarities to the S102
I was thinking it resembled one of the possible designs that indycar considered recently. Specifically the 3rd design listed on this site.

dh
Old 27 Oct 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2781096)   #661
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
For Rent!(engine is excluded)
http://twitpic.com/316ba7
Old 27 Oct 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2781101)   #662
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If rent includes support , it might well be a good deal , for the short term . Would that be eligable for the AsLMS next year ?
Old 27 Oct 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2781173)   #663
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
If rent includes support , it might well be a good deal , for the short term . Would that be eligable for the AsLMS next year ?
It should be.
And if it receives a 2011 spec LMP1 engine, it will not need the fin!
Old 31 Oct 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2782879)   #664
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So lets get some money together then ...
"10/10 Dome S102" sounds good, doesnt it?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2788477)   #665
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Motor Fan Illustrated magazine featured Dome S102 of the 2010 version(not 2011 ver).
The car was named S102i(Improvement).
A detailed update is performed besides a feature rear section.
As for the suspension, the hydraulic bump stopper(third element) is used at the front and the Dome's oridinal damper is used at rear.
In addition, upright made of titanium was adopted (Only Qualifying is used in S102).

The simulation time of S102i is 3:23.593(Sarthe circuit).

(Aerodynamics data by Dome)
---------drag(N)---DF(N)--DF/Fr---DF/Re---L/D---CoP
S101.5----2580----8770----3541---5229---3.4----40
S102------2358---10060----4575---5485---4.5----48
S102i------2462---10110----4600---5610---4.4----48
Old 11 Nov 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2788501)   #666
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:

Did the article mention at what speed those numbers were achieved?

dh
Old 11 Nov 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2788502)   #667
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Quote:
Did the article mention at what speed those numbers were achieved?
220km/h
Old 11 Nov 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2788594)   #668
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
220km/h
Thanks, that is always an important data point to include. DF at 220kph is not the same as when measured at 325kph.

What struck me about the numbers was the large jump in downforce from the old S101.5 to the S102....but then...two years of probably intermittent aero doodling provides only ½ of 1% increase in df with the S102i.

The cost in time and facility(wind tunnel, CAD etc) use must have been tremendous for such a small step forward. And then for the ACO to continuously make rules changes that both thwart the development and force other items to be included(read that as an UGLY fin) and you have to admire Dome's hobby.

Other private Manufacturers like Lola and Zytek and OAK obviously face the same financial roadblocks to development. I wonder what the downforce improvements from the original Lola B05/40 to the current coupe were? Did we see half a percent gains with the open footbox and later the coupe?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2788597)   #669
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It should be.
And if it receives a 2011 spec LMP1 engine, it will not need the fin!

When I saw that sig, I wondered why you wanted to ruin a perfectly good Playstation by whacking a Danish Racer on the head with it.

dh
Old 11 Nov 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2788676)   #670
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks, that is always an important data point to include. DF at 220kph is not the same as when measured at 325kph.

What struck me about the numbers was the large jump in downforce from the old S101.5 to the S102....but then...two years of probably intermittent aero doodling provides only ½ of 1% increase in df with the S102i.

The cost in time and facility(wind tunnel, CAD etc) use must have been tremendous for such a small step forward. And then for the ACO to continuously make rules changes that both thwart the development and force other items to be included(read that as an UGLY fin) and you have to admire Dome's hobby.

Other private Manufacturers like Lola and Zytek and OAK obviously face the same financial roadblocks to development. I wonder what the downforce improvements from the original Lola B05/40 to the current coupe were? Did we see half a percent gains with the open footbox and later the coupe?

The step in the aerodynamic performance with an improvement of 1 - 1,5 % comparing S102 to S102i is quite very well. The smaller 1,60m rear reduced downforce by about 6-10 % so the overall improvement was 7-11 % and so quite impressive.

What is not clear is the unit for the aero figures. Kilograms could not be , Newton meters not and pounds also not. More than 10.000 pounds at 320 kph was the peak of the lastest ground effect Group C cars like the TS010 with an peak L/D of 6,2:1. So this figure at 220 kph is impossible.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2788698)   #671
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
The step in the aerodynamic performance with an improvement of 1 - 1,5 % comparing S102 to S102i is quite very well. The smaller 1,60m rear reduced downforce by about 6-10 % so the overall improvement was 7-11 % and so quite impressive.

What is not clear is the unit for the aero figures. Kilograms could not be , Newton meters not and pounds also not. More than 10.000 pounds at 320 kph was the peak of the latest ground effect Group C cars like the TS010 with an peak L/D of 6,2:1. So this figure at 220 kph is impossible.
I figured Newtons, which come out to be 2250 pounds/force DF @ 220kph(137mph). Considering the average for a current Prototype at 150mph is reported to be around 2500 lbs, this would be in the ballpark. Being strapped down in a wind tunnel with a constant ride height might cause the numbers to be slightly optimistic. Converting back and forth between Metric and 'Merican number systems always screws my head up.

A quick division of Downforce in Newtons by drag in Newtons gives us
10110 ÷ 2462 = 4.11 (S102i) That is somewhat different from their result, but not totally out of the range.

oh, and great point about the Aero restrictions. I commented about them but totally forgot to include them in my analysis. That's why I'm a mail man and not an engineer. lol!

dh

ps.. it may state in the article, but we don't know if this is the max df the car can produce with full attack wing settings and front winglets, or is this the car in Le Mans trim with flat wings and no diveplanes and minimal front splitter size.

Last edited by davehenrie; 11 Nov 2010 at 18:04.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2788919)   #672
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I figured Newtons, which come out to be 2250 pounds/force DF @ 220kph(137mph). Considering the average for a current Prototype at 150mph is reported to be around 2500 lbs, this would be in the ballpark. Being strapped down in a wind tunnel with a constant ride height might cause the numbers to be slightly optimistic. Converting back and forth between Metric and 'Merican number systems always screws my head up.

A quick division of Downforce in Newtons by drag in Newtons gives us
10110 ÷ 2462 = 4.11 (S102i) That is somewhat different from their result, but not totally out of the range.

oh, and great point about the Aero restrictions. I commented about them but totally forgot to include them in my analysis. That's why I'm a mail man and not an engineer. lol!

dh

ps.. it may state in the article, but we don't know if this is the max df the car can produce with full attack wing settings and front winglets, or is this the car in Le Mans trim with flat wings and no diveplanes and minimal front splitter size.
There's a math error in the original posting of the L/D:

10110/2462= 4.106 and not 4.4

likewise, 10060/2358= 4.27:1 and not 4.5:1. The units are Newtons.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:46 (Ref:2788928)   #673
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Motor Fan Illustrated magazine featured Dome S102 of the 2010 version(not 2011 ver).
The car was named S102i(Improvement).
A detailed update is performed besides a feature rear section.
As for the suspension, the hydraulic bump stopper(third element) is used at the front and the Dome's oridinal damper is used at rear.
In addition, upright made of titanium was adopted (Only Qualifying is used in S102).

Which car was the S102i, the car that would have raced this year at Le Mans?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 03:13 (Ref:2788947)   #674
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is my interpretation, Mike.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2788964)   #675
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the figures are all for a Le Mans version. I have never heard that Dome tested a high downforce version.
The L/D figure is not bad but also not fantastic. The 2003 Bentley Speed 8 was in the same region. Since that the downforce was reduced by the rules, but I had thought that there were more improvements. But comparing wind tunnel data can only give a small intention, cause different wind tunnels, model sizes, and measure methods resulted in different figures.

It is really a shame that there is no good technical article about this great car here in Europe or the USA. The RCE article was also not one of the best of this magazine.