Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Nov 2010, 11:20 (Ref:2789065)   #676
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
I think the figures are all for a Le Mans version. I have never heard that Dome tested a high downforce version.
The L/D figure is not bad but also not fantastic. The 2003 Bentley Speed 8 was in the same region. Since that the downforce was reduced by the rules, but I had thought that there were more improvements. But comparing wind tunnel data can only give a small intention, cause different wind tunnels, model sizes, and measure methods resulted in different figures.

It is really a shame that there is no good technical article about this great car here in Europe or the USA. The RCE article was also not one of the best of this magazine.

My impression is that the cars seem a bit draggy for Le Mans. With 1184 drag @ 200 you're looking at 1370 drag @ 215. Rough calculations say drag limited top speed would be around 197 mph assuming 90% powertrain efficiency and 1.8m frontal area. Point being, numbers seem a bit draggy. I seem to recall the Dome always being one of the fastest cars in a straight line as well as having really good lap times.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2789070)   #677
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
My impression is that the cars seem a bit draggy for Le Mans. With 1184 drag @ 200 you're looking at 1370 drag @ 215. Rough calculations say drag limited top speed would be around 197 mph assuming 90% powertrain efficiency and 1.8m frontal area. Point being, numbers seem a bit draggy. I seem to recall the Dome always being one of the fastest cars in a straight line as well as having really good lap times.
Mike, you are right. Dome was always one the fastest cars on the straight and the S102 was said to be one of the most effective cars from the aero side.
Looking at your figures are you right. Seems like a bit too much drag. I think also that the L/D is not so impressive but we don't have any comparison.
But why should Dome release real aero figures. They have had these figures already at the presentation. I know no other team doing this. Epsilon Euskadi told me these figures are not for the public.
We don't know.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2789072)   #678
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
It's not my typo.
But correct L/D figures is not understood.

The article reports that ACO have simulated that L/D figures decrease by 4% by 2010 regulations, but Dome was able to restrict it to a decrease in only 1%.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2789073)   #679
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
It's not my typo.
But correct L/D figures is not understood.

The article reports that ACO have simulated that L/D figures decrease by 4% by 2010 regulations, but Dome was able to restrict it to a decrease in only 1%.
We are talking about the aero performance in a general manner. Dome did a very good job with their S102i managing to compensate the loss of downforce created by the smaller rear wing.

Is it a lot of work to translate this article into english? I am afraid it is.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2789076)   #680
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Ok. I understand.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2794988)   #681
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Dome's Hiroshi Yuchi confirms the data is originally in Newtons.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2795451)   #682
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Dome's Hiroshi Yuchi confirms the data is originally in Newtons.
And further more, the data is an average across their ride height maps. Which means the drag figures appear artificially high. Naturally this is the trouble with aero data; it is highly subjective ride height to ride height (and of course, tunnel to tunnel). I have it on good authority that at lower ride heights you could expect to see up to a 5% reduction in drag from the average.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 06:07 (Ref:2840445)   #683
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
What is he (Minoru Hayashi) making?
http://plixi.com/p/81686746
Old 5 Mar 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2840454)   #684
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What is he (Minoru Hayashi) making?
http://plixi.com/p/81686746

Looks like a response to Adrian Newey's RedBull X1 Prototype. Cool that he's using Clay and not CFD.

dh
Old 5 Mar 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2840629)   #685
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like one of those F20 prototypes. Remember?
Old 25 Mar 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2852977)   #686
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Dome announced sales of a stock sportscar of the petrol engine.
At first, it would be an electric vehicle. However, Dome judged that the sports car by the electric power was premature now.
Dome bought Tesla and tested it in Fuji speedway. But the car was not able to run even in 1lap because the battery overheated.
So, Dome decided to start from the development of the chassis first of all in advance of the development of the EV system. Development is done with the petrol engine. So, Dome will sell the car as a stock car. Finally, it is scheduled to become an electric vehicle.
The car is scheduled to be announced in a Geneva international motor show in March, 2012.
http://www.dome.co.jp/column/dt_85.html
Old 16 Aug 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2941737)   #687
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Dome goes for NASCAR?
According to Minoru Hayashi's tweet, Dome plans to establish the sales company of the NASCAR (CFRP) seat in the United States.
http://twitter.com/#!/dome_hayashi/s...32366222761984
Old 21 Dec 2011, 10:47 (Ref:3002604)   #688
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Some links for the fans of the Dome S102.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 11:30 (Ref:3003512)   #689
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Dome announced the extension of the factory of Dome carbon magic.
Dome is to build the factory of floor area 1,578.69m2.
Completion will become in April, 2012.
http://www.dome.co.jp/news/news/dt_109.html
Old 9 Jan 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3009276)   #690
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Minoru Hayashi tweets that development of S102 is under continuation also in the New Year holidays!
http://twitter.com/#!/dome_hayashi/s...949120/photo/1
Old 9 Jan 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3009279)   #691
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Minoru Hayashi tweets that development of S102 is under continuation also in the New Year holidays!
http://twitter.com/#!/dome_hayashi/s...949120/photo/1
I think it's great that, even though there is no customer, he still keeps developing the car. I really hope someone gives the s102 a run at le mans this year or the next. I think it can be a very capable machine against the other privateers...
Old 2 Feb 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3020104)   #692
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Dome announced 2012 LM24 participation plan!
http://www.dome.co.jp/news/news/dt_111.html
Car: Dome S102.5
Engine: Judd
Tire: Michilin
Supervisor: Hiroshi Fushida
Chief Engineer: Hiroshi Yuchi
Driver: TBA (Foreign driver*2, Japanese driver*1)
Race Oparation: Team PESCAROLO
Old 2 Feb 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3020105)   #693
templer
Racer

Great news at sports-carracing.net

http://translate.google.de/translate...-carracing.net

The secret of the cars used by Pescarolo has been unraveled. They will use updated Dome S102 cars called S102.5.
The car feature wide Michelin front tyres, 3,4l V8 Judd engine and reworked aerodynamics. The choice for the engine was made cause it could be easily fitted inside the carbon fiber subframe and Dome had not to rework their Zytek paddle shift system as it had to be if they used a HPD engine.

They know that they don't have the power of Audi or Toyota but they think with less space required for cooling radiators they can use a better diffusor exit, lower sdiepods and so a reduced frontal area.

Really fantastic news that one of the most exiting private coupes will be back. YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 06:29 (Ref:3020106)   #694
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Race Oparation: Team PESCAROLO
Pescarolo Dome? Whoa. I think we'll know who the fan favorites this year will be! Too bad it's with the Judd engine though. Something like the HPD 3.4L might have added more excitement.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3020107)   #695
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Sports-carracing.net says that Dome contracted with Nicolas Minassian and Sebastien Bourdais.

http://www.sports-carracing.net/2012...120202special1
Old 2 Feb 2012, 06:54 (Ref:3020112)   #696
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Best news ever!!!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3020113)   #697
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I definitively didn't see that one coming, excellent news.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3020114)   #698
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Really did not see that coming. Hopefully it's confirmed by the ACO as well later on today. And TWO S102s? Wow.

I'm already imagining that car in the blue-white-pea green of Pescarolo. Stop me, I'm getting over-excited.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 07:22 (Ref:3020115)   #699
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sports-carracing.net says that Dome contracted with Nicolas Minassian and Sebastien Bourdais.

http://www.sports-carracing.net/2012...120202special1
The good news, if true.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3020118)   #700
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Fantastic news!

Sam Collins already hinted at this in http://twitter.com/#!/RacecarEnginee...04859913388032. So I am sure that it will be confirmed today.