Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jul 2001, 13:01 (Ref:112079)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ATCC Format

Do you think the time has come that the ATCC would be better returning to a single race format, like 1 hour racers like they used to be. Tony Cochrane always goes on about not confusing the fans ( remember all the bathurst stuff between 97-99 ), well i'm sure some fans would have been confused about the Hidden Valley result, Ambrose winning without winning a race.

At least i know what the rules are, but i didn't really give them a thought until Hidden Valley, but even Ambrose said it felt weird winning the round but not a race. Just a single race would be better. It would also allow live coverage of the race and also allow some coverage on the TEN telecast of the support races on the same day. People say the coverage of Touring Cars today is the best its been. I have seen videos of rounds between 85-89 and the races were live, plus supports races live and also heaps of interesting stories like 500s, superbikes, NASCAR and ETC, looked really enjoyable, pity i was between 2 and 6 years old
Old 2 Jul 2001, 21:57 (Ref:112276)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, Mr Cochrane is turning into a circus. Why not have two forty five minutes races, without compulsory pitstops? All these reverse grids, doubles point rounds, different race formats and top ten shootouts are silly, in my opinion.
Old 3 Jul 2001, 00:25 (Ref:112333)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is one big problem with showing races live like that. Remembering back to Lakeside in the late 80's. A couple of production cars flattened the fence exiting the Karussell, which took a long time to repair, a Formula Ford rolled after the finish of their race, and then just after the start of the Touring Car race there was a massive pile up under the bridge, which took and hour to clean up and straighten the fence. And all of this happened as Channel 7 was broadcasting live....

Plus I don't think Tony would be too keen on having shorter races so that support classes can get some live TV.

It has merit, but I don't think in this day in time it would happen.