Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 May 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2879121)   #51
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THe GT series is predominantly SPridgets, but a healthy dose of 'others' some interesting period club cars have eppeared as well, like pre '63 GT it hass attraced otherwise dormant cars which where getting blown into the barriers by a load of overblown tanks/hotrods

The thing I like is being under 1500cc.

Peter, whilst precrossflows are allowed for Pops/Anglia 100E's (late '59) The Cosworth MAE didn't appear until '61?
Old 12 May 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2879122)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Peter, whilst precrossflows are allowed for Pops/Anglia 100E's (late '59) The Cosworth MAE didn't appear until '61?
Yes, likewise the 998 Cooper was 62 (ish), hence my point re pre 60 for the touring cars.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2879132)   #53
kkj
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
kkj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRDC and CTCRC: What is the most important difference!

How many series for old cars do you need?
Old 12 May 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2879135)   #54
kkj
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, likewise the 998 Cooper was 62 (ish), hence my point re pre 60 for the touring cars.
pre -60! Historical time for the Hillman to step out!!
Old 12 May 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2879510)   #55
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think the early Cooper was 997, based on the 850. I had a 1962 Austin Cooper 997, Tartan Red/Black roof, I didn't sell it, I still have the reg docs etc. I think. This makes me mildly interested in them. I say mildly 'cos I had a few tuney minis but they kept breaking down, a drive train that was designed for 40 odd bhp does not stick 125 bhp/big tyres very well. However, a pre '63 car would have to be based on a 997 and power could never exceed 100 bhp and a good transmission system could cope ok.
Blah blah blah. I get bored with this stuff, never mind everyone else!
Old 12 May 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2879637)   #56
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quite Sam . . once you know the facts the bull**** takes the shine off these things

now wheres my 185bhp 680kg ex jim clark cortina
Old 13 May 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2879783)   #57
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

now wheres my 185bhp 680kg ex jim clark cortina

Which one? There's about 17 of them now.
Old 13 May 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2879960)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
is that all? there are twice as many LC's on the club register as there are GT's . . .thay only made 75 000 GT's!
Old 13 May 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2879983)   #59
kkj
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
You are talking about the cars that are not pre -60 and not in the HRDC series. What about the competing HRDC cars?
Old 17 May 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2881900)   #60
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember being at this meeting with the Fraser team when the works team came 4th
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...s%20Hatch.html
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 May 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2881961)   #61
kkj
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I remember being at this meeting with the Fraser team when the works team came 4th
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...s%20Hatch.html
What a consolation! Rapiers on 4th and 7th !
Another intersting team. Swedish Saab team in 11th . One of the driver is Erik Berger. He is still a top driver in historic racing at an age of 85 year!!! Think about that! It's still time for all of us!
Old 19 May 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2882700)   #62
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I hate to disagree with you Louise but take a gander at this list of cars: http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...63%20Cars.html
and if you look at the individual rounds there are some other cars liek Zodiacs etc the point being IMHO you either go 66 and scoop up the Lotus Cortinas Mustangs etc or you go back to Jaguar Mk2's etc but a cut off in 1960 is neither fish nor foul
Looks like Julius reads 10 tenths!
Old 19 May 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2882718)   #63
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah Sunbeam Rapier....

This brings back wonderful memories to when my Dad had a Series 3 in 1960.

It was an awesome car back then and he used to race and beat most other cars on the road....

The car was a medium grey colour with a pippin red roof and stripe down the side.

He sold it to my brother when he bought a nice secondhand Aston Martin DB4 in 1964 from H.W.Motors in Walton-on-Thames.

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 19 May 2011 at 16:50.
Old 19 May 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2882726)   #64
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From Gordon's link ...

" ..disqualified for using tools not carried in the car"

Hmm. I can see some interesting ideas stemming from such a rule in the modern era. Or are they referring to an unregistered pay driver?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 09:43 (Ref:3001791)   #65
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, only just seen this thread. Michael Peet runs a series 3 Rapier in Occassioinal CTCRC, HRDC & Goodwood races. The car is the ex Jim Utting/ Andy Gill & Hugh Boultbee car & has been a race car for nearly 30 years. It is not highly modified using parts from the Rootes range of the period. It runs a 1725 engine producing around !60 BHP @ the flywheel on twin 40 DCOE Webers or around 145 BHP on series 3 rapier Solex carbs or SUs.

I have assisted in runniung this car for over 10 years & developed & built the engine about 9 years ago. Finding tuning parts for the engine off the shelf was a little difficult but eventually I sorted it without going to too much expense. Arias custom built pistons were the only real expense, crank, rods, rocker gears are all standard but modified & stainless valves I found from another car. The car has proved reliable but heavy but usually finishing in the top half of the Goodwood field.

In 2010 the car was co driven at Goodwood by someone called Christian Horner!
Old 19 Dec 2011, 10:00 (Ref:3001798)   #66
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken clarke View Post
Hi, only just seen this thread. Michael Peet runs a series 3 Rapier in Occassioinal CTCRC, HRDC & Goodwood races. The car is the ex Jim Utting/ Andy Gill & Hugh Boultbee car & has been a race car for nearly 30 years. It is not highly modified using parts from the Rootes range of the period. It runs a 1725 engine producing around !60 BHP @ the flywheel on twin 40 DCOE Webers or around 145 BHP on series 3 rapier Solex carbs or SUs.

I have assisted in runniung this car for over 10 years & developed & built the engine about 9 years ago. Finding tuning parts for the engine off the shelf was a little difficult but eventually I sorted it without going to too much expense. Arias custom built pistons were the only real expense, crank, rods, rocker gears are all standard but modified & stainless valves I found from another car. The car has proved reliable but heavy but usually finishing in the top half of the Goodwood field.

In 2010 the car was co driven at Goodwood by someone called Christian Horner!
I take it you mean 160 bhp on Webers? My PC is showing 60 Bhp with an exclaimation mark before it!
Does that engine run an Alloy head? like the Hunter GLS? and the Alpine?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 22:57 (Ref:3002472)   #67
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
I take it you mean 160 bhp on Webers? My PC is showing 60 Bhp with an exclaimation mark before it!
Does that engine run an Alloy head? like the Hunter GLS? and the Alpine?
Yes 160, (should not press the shift button).

It runs a modified Holbay alloy head.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 18:46 (Ref:3003647)   #68
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
Mind you I do enjoy a blast in out 350bhp Griff and 370bhp Fiat Coupe...
How do you get 370bhp out of the FIAT? - that's amazing!
Old 24 Dec 2011, 10:38 (Ref:3003861)   #69
Mogger
Rookie

England
UK and Australia
Mogger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To keep this thread going..........

A newbie to Rapier motoring I was pleasantly surprised by the capability of these fine motors on the MM. The 60! bhp.....yes...sixty...was more than enough to be held up by Mikka in the factory Merc (honest). Around Valelunga the angle of lean was quite dramatic but it took this and the mountain passes all in its stride....a fine motor and cheap as chips....if you can find one!
Attached Thumbnails
5836579048_66a275658a.jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:43 (Ref:3003891)   #70
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Nice photo and proves that you don't need megabucks to play with the 'great and the good'