Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3838052)   #76
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But is that enough for that offence?
Should be beheaded.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3838053)   #77
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis would still be ahead of Vettel but by 10 points, that's if he gets a 5 second penalty.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3838054)   #78
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Appendix L For anyone who wants to read it: https://www.fia.com/file/69631/downl...token=iw8UzQo0

What you're looking for is Chapter 4, Part 4. -

Entrance to the pit lane
a) The section of track leading to the pit lane shall be referred to as
the “pit entry”.
b) During competition, access to the pit lane is allowed only
through the pit entry.
c) Any driver intending to leave the track or to enter the pit lane
should make sure that it is safe to do so.
d) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the
Stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating
the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited.

I'm no expert on the rules, but this one does seem like it's written down in the rules and isn't as 'circuit by circuit' as I originally thought it was.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3838055)   #79
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He didn’t enter the pit lane. Although you could say at one point he did intend to!

I do think the exact details of the entry and exit are often discussed before a race. Probably if it is particularly dangerous?

I wonder how it is going in the stewards’ room.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3838056)   #80
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
To be honest, based on what is in that Appendix, I can't see him not being penalised. The pit lane entry is defined as the surface between the Safety Car Line and Pit Lane Speed Limit line. So the area he was on is most certainly the pit entry. It says that crossing the line in any direction, which he did. And he was certainly entering the pit lane. Aborting that doesn't mean he wasn't entering it.

Yeah, it's another case of too many rules in F1, but when you break it down it seems black and white to me.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3838059)   #81
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
I agree, it says 'pit entry'. Seems clear enough to me.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3838061)   #82
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah, it's another case of too many rules in F1, but when you break it down it seems black and white to me.
I think you are correct based on the rules posted. It seems pretty black and white.

N.b. However I don't endorse a full beheading like Adam suggests. Maybe just a haircut.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3838062)   #83
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I think you are correct based on the rules posted. It seems pretty black and white.

N.b. However I don't endorse a full beheading like Adam suggests. Maybe just a haircut.
And what exactly is wrong with crossing a mullet with dreads?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3838066)   #84
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’ll come down to those rules and what else was said - that’s why they have stewards. I still haven’t watched it again.

To be clear it wasn’t me who suggested beheading. I would never do that to my beloved Lewi.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3838067)   #85
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I would.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3838069)   #86
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Send to marshal up to the stewards room to sweep up their broken bottles...

Quote:
No / Driver Competitor Time Session Fact Offence Decision
Reason
44 - Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
16:22
Race
Car 44 crossed the white line separating the pit entry and the track.
Breach of Appendix L Chapter IV Article 4 (d) of the FIA International Sporting Code.
A reprimand.
(1st reprimand of the current season)
The Stewards reviewed video and audio evidence, heard from the driver of car 44 (Lewis Hamilton) and the team representative. It was clear that there was an infringement of the above mentioned rule - the driver clearly crossed the line separating the pit entry from the track.
In deciding on the penalty for the infringement, we took into account the following mitigating factors:
(i) the driver and the team candidly admitted the mistake and the fact that there was confusion within the team as to whether to stay out or to enter the pits and that led to the infringement.
(ii) The fact that the infringement took place during a Safety Car period.
(iii) At no time was there any danger to any other competitor and the change in direction was executed in a safe way.
Taking all of the above into account, including considering previous infringements of the above rule, we are of the opinion that a reprimand would be the appropriate penalty for the said infringement on this occasion.
Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal the decisions of the Stewards (with the exception of those referred to in Article 12.2.4 of the FIA International Sporting Code), in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Article 9.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.
https://www.fia.com/file/70852/download?token=V4c1LTwn
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3838071)   #87
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Oh my.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3838072)   #88
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What’s to say other than you either agree or don’t?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3838073)   #89
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Taking all of the above into account, including considering previous infringements of the above rule
Dear lord. They must be taking the **** by now.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3838074)   #90
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
What’s to say other than you either agree or don’t?
I still support the beheading.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3838075)   #91
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
11 minutes of Safety Car to clear up one single car that wasn't even that heavily damaged?
Oh my!
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3838076)   #92
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Anyway. Vettel. That was a small, but crucial mistake.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3838077)   #93
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I still support the beheading.
For Lewis or the Stewards?

It would have been easier for them to give a 5s penalty. Take the rules at face value and remove any consistency talk.

I don’t mind the decision, although I think that is because I take this less seriously than most.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3838078)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Send to marshal up to the stewards room to sweep up their broken bottles...

https://www.fia.com/file/70852/download?token=V4c1LTwn
Just a reprimand; he got off lightly.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3838079)   #95
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
For Lewis or the Stewards?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3838081)   #96
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

If an outcome of a violation can be taken into account, shouldn't the fact that he went off-track and gained time by not pitting also be taken into account? According to a lot of people (and the stewards mostly) drivers should be punished for 'not losing time' by going off-track.

I am slightly sarcastic for effect, but it shows how ludicrous this decision is. Why does it matter in any way what caused the violation? 'Confusion on the radio' my ass, they were clearly telling him to come in.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3838083)   #97
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Why does the gain matter? I get that point. Although you can have a view either way. I suppose that is how they view cutting corners.

The specifics of what you say don’t really make much different. There was practically no time gain as it was under SC and slower than taking the normal line.

There was clearly confusion. In in in, no out, in, no out. They clearly told him to come in and then told him otherwise. It wasn’t clear overall.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3838084)   #98
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:

The specifics of what you say don’t really make much different. There was practically no time gain as it was under SC and slower than taking the normal line.
He gained time by not pitting.
Quote:
There was clearly confusion. In in in, no out, in, no out. They clearly told him to come in and then told him otherwise. It wasn’t clear overall.
Even if that was true (which I don't think is) then why does that matter towards the outcome of the violation? He committed to the pits, according to the rules he should have stayed there. What the team said is not important, they were simply too late at that point.

I could understand if the 'confusion' happened because of an oddity on the track or maybe a loss of radio signal or whatever. But everything worked fine, Mercedes just screwed up. How that can be construed as a reason to lessen the penalty is beyond me.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3838085)   #99
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I agree with Sprinkles (mark that one on the calendar Sprinkles!). I accept there was confusion and that it wasn't an intentional mistake, however -

- A rule was broken
- Lewis did gain an advantage from breaking the rule
- Previous violations have been penalised
- The stewards have previously said previously that the result of an incident should not be taken into account when deciding a penalty (Someone causing an accident would not be punished more than someone who broke the same rule but was lucky enough not to cause an incident). So stewards point 3 regarding no danger to other competitors should not have been taken into account.

I don't really support anyone in F1, and don't really have an opinion on Lewis (other than his current haircut), but the decision does seem pretty daft to me. I have a feeling that if Vettel had won and this argument had been over whether Lewis keeps second place or not, then he'd have been penalised.

Also worth saying that none of it was the fault of Lewis. The team were not on the ball and Lewis should have been given specific instructions. "If Kimi pits, you do not pit. If Kimi doesn't pit, you pit". They were being reactive rather than proactive and gave Lewis multiple signals at a time when it was too late. It's not that hard and they put Lewis in a bad situation.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3838090)   #100
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
He gained time by not pitting.
This is true, but you get what I mean. Practically it made no time difference between cutting the corner or not. The gain was not pitting.

To be clear I’m not trying to argue with anyone. Just exploring the points made.

Quote:

Even if that was true (which I don't think is) then why does that matter towards the outcome of the violation?
That is purely, as I said, depends on your point of view. More of a philosophical point. Why should it matter, or should the outcome make a difference. Both are valid stances.

Quote:
He committed to the pits, according to the rules he should have stayed there. What the team said is not important, they were simply too late at that point.

I could understand if the 'confusion' happened because of an oddity on the track or maybe a loss of radio signal or whatever. But everything worked fine, Mercedes just screwed up. How that can be construed as a reason to lessen the penalty is beyond me.
My point was purely that there was confusion. So when he says there was confusion it can’t be denied.

Whether it is important, that’s a different thing.