Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Dec 2020, 12:25 (Ref:4020362)   #576
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Who is it?
HARD posted a picture of the new driver being interviewed by the internet blog 'Is it Fast?'. I believe the new driver will be Ian Betteridge
Old 3 Dec 2020, 13:33 (Ref:4020385)   #577
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I believe the new driver will be Ian Betteridge
A very quetionable signing.
Old 3 Dec 2020, 19:09 (Ref:4020456)   #578
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I suspect real cash sponsors will be thin on the ground next year, so we may well see a fair few 'less well known' drivers in some seats next year.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 19:27 (Ref:4020669)   #579
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expecting to hear confirmation that BMW are gone soon, maybe as early as next week. They pulled the plug on the DTM programme today.

I expect WSR to continue running at least a pair of the cars next season for drivers with suitable chequebooks.

Probably leaves Colin Turkington on the sidelines again though.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 20:08 (Ref:4020674)   #580
krzysiek_aleks
Rookie

krzysiek_aleks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Expecting to hear confirmation that BMW are gone soon, maybe as early as next week.

Bloody hell. Wouldn't be surprised if only factory programme BMW will have will be in simracing.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 21:17 (Ref:4020676)   #581
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Expecting to hear confirmation that BMW are gone soon, maybe as early as next week. They pulled the plug on the DTM programme today.

I expect WSR to continue running at least a pair of the cars next season for drivers with suitable chequebooks.

Probably leaves Colin Turkington on the sidelines again though.
Unless a Chilton shows up there with sacks of €
Old 4 Dec 2020, 21:22 (Ref:4020678)   #582
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They pulled the plug on the DTM programme today.
They pulled the plug many months ago, than the class one died. Today they endet the relationship with Schnitzer and RBM.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 22:17 (Ref:4020691)   #583
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW factory motorsport (germany) does not equal the BMW UK funding to WSR. Two totally different scenarios.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 23:09 (Ref:4020698)   #584
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
BMW factory motorsport (germany) does not equal the BMW UK funding to WSR. Two totally different scenarios.
It's depends on what Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. As I'm sure you are aware BMW UK is wholy-owned by BMW AG in Germany and answers to what they decide.

It could be that they devolve the decision to their subsidiaries at national level, or it could be (as I think most likely) that this is a strategic decision similar to that of Audi's and the UK funding will be terminated too.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 07:00 (Ref:4020726)   #585
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's depends on what Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. As I'm sure you are aware BMW UK is wholy-owned by BMW AG in Germany and answers to what they decide.

It could be that they devolve the decision to their subsidiaries at national level, or it could be (as I think most likely) that this is a strategic decision similar to that of Audi's and the UK funding will be terminated too.
BMW , Honda , Halfords some big names near the exit door ......
Old 5 Dec 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4020737)   #586
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could we be heading back to the post Super Touring era of BTCC, where it becomes a clubman type saloon championship but with TV coverage.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4020738)   #587
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
BMW , Honda , Halfords some big names near the exit door ......
Expect to see a team or two head the same way too.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4020742)   #588
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Who owns who is immaterial to my comment. My comment is that any factory motorsport at BMW has zero input to what happens in the BTCC. The last factory involvement was back in the early 90s.

BMW UK has its own marketing budget. How they spend it is down to them in the most part.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 10:50 (Ref:4020748)   #589
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If all these negative predictions are going to be true then it'll be a terribly bleak season next year...
Old 5 Dec 2020, 11:04 (Ref:4020754)   #590
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
If all these negative predictions are going to be true then it'll be a terribly bleak season next year...
It's certainly been a ray of sunshine flowing forth in recent posts hasn't it?

It still amazes me that we have on one hand - a bunch of people who see BTCC as still being a series with true manufacturer entries. On the other hand - a bunch of people who think that the slightest issue will see an exodus of teams/drivers and that the series will collapse in a few years.

The truth is that in the midst of a global pandemic and one of the trickiest set of circumstances ever to put on a race series, we've seen:
A near-full grid that still exceeds the long term aspiration of the series director in terms of numbers.
A full complement of TBLs still being held and valued.
A number of (privateer) teams planning to introduce new cars to the grid next year.
A move to hybrid in less than 18 months time, along with a new engine supplier and tv contract in place.

The future still looks promising, and there are exciting times ahead. But still, never doubt the BTCC fan's ability to put a negative spin on things and tell us how bad the situation is.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 13:04 (Ref:4020760)   #591
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The BTCC is right not to rely on manufacturers. As we have seen in every series, they will pick and choose when to come and when to leave when it suits them. Most recent example is Formula E. Basically the lesson is encourage manufacturers to enter by all means, but don’t see them as the be all and end all
Old 5 Dec 2020, 14:29 (Ref:4020773)   #592
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The BTCC is right not to rely on manufacturers. As we have seen in every series, they will pick and choose when to come and when to leave when it suits them. Most recent example is Formula E. Basically the lesson is encourage manufacturers to enter by all means, but don’t see them as the be all and end all
And more to the point (IMO) - I think we're about 12 years on from a full manufacturer entry in the BTCC, so I don't even think the manufacturers need to be encouraged.

Dealer networks maybe - but the lack of manufacturer involvement for over a decade hasn't harmed the series, and could be argued that it has strengthened it.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 21:10 (Ref:4020831)   #593
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
IF BMW, IF being the operative word, stop funding then so what? WSR design, engineer, build and run the cars. Not the Germans.

WSR will find a way. Look at Motorbase for a shining example of a front running team with not a bit of factory support.

Lack of a manufacturer funds isn't a problem for Tony Gilham either. Manufacturers schmanufacturers. Why do you think WSR entered a commercial arrangement to build some cars? Funding, that's why. Hopefully Colin will be back. Or if not maybe in the future.

I also have in mind a period where in my memory pretty much everyone seemed to be in a private Astra Coupe. Could be a product of my confused brain perhaps? The point is there will always be some men and women who wish to race and can find a way to make it happen.

Changing subject I suspect more of the same Covid crap next year - saw MCN headline that next years TT is off. That generates a serious amount of income for the Isle so not a decision that will have been made lightly.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 22:11 (Ref:4020838)   #594
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's certainly been a ray of sunshine flowing forth in recent posts hasn't it?

It still amazes me that we have on one hand - a bunch of people who see BTCC as still being a series with true manufacturer entries. On the other hand - a bunch of people who think that the slightest issue will see an exodus of teams/drivers and that the series will collapse in a few years.

The truth is that in the midst of a global pandemic and one of the trickiest set of circumstances ever to put on a race series, we've seen:
A near-full grid that still exceeds the long term aspiration of the series director in terms of numbers.
A full complement of TBLs still being held and valued.
A number of (privateer) teams planning to introduce new cars to the grid next year.
A move to hybrid in less than 18 months time, along with a new engine supplier and tv contract in place.

The future still looks promising, and there are exciting times ahead. But still, never doubt the BTCC fan's ability to put a negative spin on things and tell us how bad the situation is.
Totally agree, most of the information that I’m hearing from other teams and insiders is very positive regarding BTCC 2021.

How many of the “this seasons never going to happen” posters from earlier in the year have been proved so very wrong?

All the teams, circuits, BARC and TOCA worked hard to get BTCC 2020 successfully completed and 2021 will, I guarantee, be even better with fans back trackside a priority!
Old 5 Dec 2020, 23:39 (Ref:4020845)   #595
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD Tuning View Post
How many of the “this seasons never going to happen” posters from earlier in the year have been proved so very wrong
Until spectators are back it's still very much on life support. I don't doubt there will be a reasonable grid next season - but it will be missing some of the bigger names.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 06:54 (Ref:4020896)   #596
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bert Taylor appears to have left BTC to go engineer Chris Smiley at XCelr8.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 07:55 (Ref:4020897)   #597
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
You must’ve seen the same Instagram posts I have. I was equally intrigued.

One of a few interesting shuffles and moves up, down, around and in/out of the paddock?
Old 6 Dec 2020, 08:46 (Ref:4020899)   #598
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
You must’ve seen the same Instagram posts I have. I was equally intrigued.

One of a few interesting shuffles and moves up, down, around and in/out of the paddock?
Expect plenty more. Without wanting to be accused of all doom and gloom, there will be some bigger changes amongst the grid, but still expect a pretty full entry list.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4020900)   #599
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Expect plenty more. Without wanting to be accused of all doom and gloom, there will be some bigger changes amongst the grid, but still expect a pretty full entry list.
Not exactly a bold prediction is it. You've got the reigning champion in what could be described as a smallish indipendant team who could easily be swayed to move.
Ciceley bringing in Bmws now makes driving for that team way more appealing for drivers, Hard have brand new cars way more appealing than the CC. Trade Price getting Hyundai's in way more appealing to drive than the S3. Matt Neal rumoured to potentially retire very appealing seat at Team Dynamics. WSR 3rd seat still available.

There's so many seats potentially available that could be viewed as a massive upgrade there's bound to be a lot of shuffling. With shuffling of drivers comes shuffling of engineers and other staff members. Especially with teams switching from FWD to RWD for the first time, they're going to want people with experience of setting them cars up I imagine.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 09:19 (Ref:4020901)   #600
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Wow. I guess we can confirm Smiley then.

I know Bert was a co-owner with Dudman but could that suggest BTC Racing are gone? Leaving 3 FK8s avaliable?