Rookie

g_conaty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Voluntary

Is marshing voluntary?
Old 30 May 2002, 19:38 (Ref:300711)   #2
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, we're all volunteers and pretty much anyone can do it. We do it cos we love the sport and the action and the participation.
Old 30 May 2002, 19:41 (Ref:300715)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

now thats a good question
depends on how you look at it
its voluntary in that we don't actually get paid
voluntery in that you can't actually be made to do it
But some chief marshals do make you feel that you do need to attend the next meeting. Some get you there by charm. None that I know actually threaten you. All are grateful you've turned up.

why the question?
are you interested in becoming a marshal?
or just another one of us confused marshals?
Old 30 May 2002, 21:43 (Ref:300843)   #4
g_conaty
Rookie

Im interested in becomming a marshall. Any ideas on how i can get into marshalling. In order to marshall at formula 1 races do you need to progress through karting and the lower formulas?
Old 30 May 2002, 22:55 (Ref:300893)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
g - in answer to your question - no!

You can marshal in pretty much any area that interests you. I personally do cars, bikes, karts and anything else that takes my fancy.

I believe there are some criteria for selection for GP marshalling but the UK guys would be best placed to tell you what they are.

Firstly - what's your nearest circuit. Tell us that and we can probably hook you up with someone who can "hook you in"
Old 30 May 2002, 23:01 (Ref:300898)   #6
wickedwitch
Racer

Alternatively, go to www.marshals.co.uk and then come back here and let us know how you got on
Old 31 May 2002, 07:45 (Ref:301090)   #7
g_conaty
Rookie

Im not sure where my nearest circuit is. I live in Newcastle so maybe someone could let me know.
Ive visited Marshals.co.uk and once i can find out when their training days are in the future up my way im gonna attend.
Old 31 May 2002, 07:54 (Ref:301097)   #8
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think to Marshall the GP you must have a large number of stamps from the previous year (30 or so, I think).

g - Newcastle's a bugger. I think your nearest large track would be Croft, but not sure about Karting, Grass Track etc.
Old 31 May 2002, 08:19 (Ref:301116)   #9
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The criteria for marshalling at the GP is that you hold a race marshalling grade other than trainee, and have marshalled at least 15 days at that grade in the previous year. Also preference is given to those that can attend all 3 days.
Croft is your nearest race circuit, Kev Smith is a good contact for marshalling at Croft.
I believe his details are on the Darlington & District motor clubs website.
If not contact me with your details and I will pass them on.

Pete Howarth
Old 31 May 2002, 08:48 (Ref:301132)   #10
g_conaty
Rookie

Thankyou for your help. Ill contact him as soon as possible. Id love to try to marshal at next years GP
Old 31 May 2002, 08:57 (Ref:301138)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
think long term g_c, as Pete pointed out in the post above, you have to be graded as something other than trainee, and then have done 15 days in the previous year at that non-trainee level.

Assuming you started marshalling this weekend - you'd spend a year as a trainee, get upgraded to incident marshal in June 2003 and then have to do 15 days as an incident marshal during the tail end of 03.
All of which means that the first GP you could marshal would be 04. Marshalling is not the quickest way to get freebie tickets for a GP.
Don't get disheartend though, there's a lot more out there that is much more fun to marshal than F1.
Old 31 May 2002, 09:08 (Ref:301154)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
totally! g_c, I think you'll find the GP loses its appeal slightly once you've marshalled for a while.

GPs are good - but never underestimate the excitment of seeing 40 Formula Vs coming into the first corner at speed!
Old 31 May 2002, 09:10 (Ref:301156)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
G, I notice from your profile that you are only (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner) 16 years old. As far as I am aware you need to be 18 years old to marshal trackside but take Peters advice and contact the name he gave you for full details. I'm sure the club will be able to find something for you to do in the meantime, even if it's working in the paddock which can be just as interesting.

Please let us know how you get on or if there is anything more we can do to help.
Old 31 May 2002, 09:15 (Ref:301160)   #14
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you can marshal at 16 as long as your parents sign a consent form, but if your not alowed you could always work in race control untill you are alowed out on the track I dont think they will turn anyone away
Old 31 May 2002, 09:21 (Ref:301164)   #15
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
It's definitely 16 with parental consent (18 without) - I've been finding out for me. Honest! - I will fill in the forms soon...
Old 31 May 2002, 12:32 (Ref:301404)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodysnatcher

Assuming you started marshalling this weekend - you'd spend a year as a trainee, get upgraded to incident marshal in June
There's no requirement to spend a year as a trainee - I did my first meeting at the end of March last year, & got my green (course, not incident!) badge at the beginning of October. To get upgraded, a trainee needs the following signatures: one introductory training, one fire training & ten for satisfactory performance of duty.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 31 May 2002 at 12:33.
Old 31 May 2002, 12:54 (Ref:301450)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thats pretty much a full season though Dave. As a rule of thumb, most would expect to take a year, or a full season to become graded as incident marshal. Also, your MSA licence will not reflect your upgrade until the following years licence is issued.

In the past the MSA have refused to take trainess marshals for GP duties on the grounds of insufficient experience.
Old 31 May 2002, 13:48 (Ref:301528)   #18
brickkicker
Veteran

It also depends on the tracks you go to. Donington has always not had many XOBS were as Mallory sometimes has 1 per post but passing in such a short space of time is unusuall. It is perhaps better to take a bit of time as the F1 cars a faster than they look on the telly you need to know what your doing or you will look a bit of an idiot not only to the public but to the world
Old 31 May 2002, 13:52 (Ref:301532)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Excellent advice. It took me 8 years before I got on the F1 marshals list. Even if you have a grade with the MSA it doesn't always mean you will be invited.
Old 31 May 2002, 13:54 (Ref:301536)   #20
brickkicker
Veteran

I would sugest going to some of the TGP's and euro boss this will give you a bit of an idea of speed and noise when you are within yards of them without a big fence to stop them when it goes wrong
Old 31 May 2002, 14:48 (Ref:301599)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Thats pretty much a full season though Dave. As a rule of thumb, most would expect to take a year, or a full season to become graded as incident marshal. Also, your MSA licence will not reflect your upgrade until the following years licence is issued.
It was pretty much a full season, & there was also a certain element of luck involved inasmuch as I only did one meeting where there wasn't an Xobs on post. While the licence doesn't reflect the upgrade an upgrading card is issued on confirmation of the upgrade, which means that I could have started collecting signatures for the next upgrade straight away - in fact, apart from training signatures, I haven't submitted my card for the next upgrade yet.

By the way, the next step up from trainee is course marshal (green badge); incident marshal (red badge) is the next step up from course.....but you knew that, didn't you?

Quote:
In the past the MSA have refused to take trainess marshals for GP duties on the grounds of insufficient experience.
As I understand it, trainees are not eligible for GPs; not that it worries me.....no way will I ever do a Gp - I have a low threshold of boredom!
Old 31 May 2002, 15:13 (Ref:301615)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well there has been talk of course/fire being integrated into one grade-Incident Marshal which to me would make a lot of sense as they both effectively carry out the same task. It really is only the Grand Prix where some are earmarked as Course Marshals and others Fire Marshals. For the majority of meetings you each so the same job, often because there is a shortage of marshals.
Old 31 May 2002, 21:50 (Ref:301906)   #23
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by brickkicker
It is perhaps better to take a bit of time as the F1 cars a faster than they look on the telly you need to know what your doing or you will look a bit of an idiot not only to the public but to the world
Experience doesn't stop you looking like an idiot. Many years ago when I was a fire marshal (with several years experience) at the British GP, stationed at Vale Out, a certain Erik Comas and Ricardo Patrese had a coming together at Vale In, and Erik finished up near us at Vale Out! The walkways behind the armco were muddy and in my haste to get to the nearest gap before going to Comas' assistance I went base over apex (as the saying goes). I did manage to pick myself up and still arrived on scene at the same time as my partner. Erik and Ricardo were both okay but I can't say the same for their cars!
Old 31 May 2002, 23:39 (Ref:301998)   #24
Kev Smith
Rookie

Kev Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I see Pete has droped me in it again.
If you want to marshals at Croft drop me an e-mail at
marshals@darlington-motor-club.org.uk
the next Croft car meeting is 22/23 June
I can give you info on BMMC and or DDMC

kev
Old 1 Jun 2002, 12:01 (Ref:302228)   #25
wickedwitch
Racer

Just on the subject of qualification for GP - would the same apply to overseas marshals? I'm a graded flag marshal and marshal approx. 30 days per year but that is with an Irish club with a slightly diffrent grading system. Would my qualification be recognised in order to enable me to marshal at the British GP and if so, how would I go about applying to do so?

Just curious really....