Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2003, 13:18 (Ref:687128)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoyas Radio Outburst

Just read on http://www.itv-f1.com about Montoyas move to Mclaren.

I read on the site that Montoya had an outburst on the pit/car radio and Sam Michaels told him some home truths.

does anyone know what this was about, or have a transcript ?

God I wish for the return of digital F1 channel, and the radio being broadcast.

Quote:
The Colombian has been out of favour at Williams since an outburst on the team radio during the French Grand Prix in which Juan Pablo made his feelings known about the team and in reply the team's senior operations engineer, Sam Michael, gave Montoya an indication of some of his weaknesses.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 13:50 (Ref:687151)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there we go then. So much clearer.

Frankly any team and/or 'news' website that takes anything seriously that happens in the heat of the race (assuming this is true) have got problems. Especially at Williams as I'm sure Patrick Head is up for saying how things are at times.

Maybe they have had problems, but doesthi smake it fact he is leaving. Not really, perhaps these problems no longer exist, especially with Montoya getting a nice change in engineering personel on his car.

Storm in a tea-cup is my guess. I would imagine that a team with Head and Montoya in it is going to have outbursts from time to time! Michael seems to have enormous opinions of his own contribution too, so maybe we have a third middle man in this too.

I'll wait for proper info...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 13:53 (Ref:687152)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I yearn for digital too. Remembering Montoya's outburst abotu Kimi in Spa during qualifying, he has a tendency to go a little over the top! you'd have thought Sam would know this. Also these things are forgotten as soon as they have happened.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 13:53 (Ref:687153)   #4
darcym
Veteran

oh yes, this is by no means fact, ITV seems to make news out of nothing, if there is nothing to report hence why I posted it hear to see if anyone knew more / fact.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:11 (Ref:687163)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I read this a while back, and if it were true, you would bet your butt someone would have a copy of it. So where is it? It does'nt exist.

Another slow news week.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:11 (Ref:687164)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frankly, this JPM x Williams thing is getting on my nerves. The man is on the edge, in the battle for the championship, the team had surpassed the MacLarens and are challeging the Ferraris, and now the whole press start rumours to crack the team and driver...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:28 (Ref:687171)   #7
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. This certainly smells like another Ferrari conspiracy.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:52 (Ref:687192)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have made some search in Portuguese and Spanish sites, and second to some of them, the origin of this rumour come from this site with this news http://ultimosegundo.ig.com.br/pagin.../157002_1.html .

The guy in question doesn't mention any sources where he could get that from.

The story mentions the outburst in France and that the colombian offers himself to McLaren, with a deal closed for 2005 by $ 10 millions. And that now JPM is trying to move already in 2004, but Patrick and Frank want the $10 million for breaking the contract. This is one of the reasons that Mclaren didn't announce the new pair for 2004 in the German GP.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:57 (Ref:687196)   #9
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These comments make Juan Pablo laugh, he has a very strong mind

Same cr@p happened when Cart.
Somebody spread the rumour that Montoya was on an internal fight (off-track) against Vasser...

Last edited by Speed; 13 Aug 2003 at 15:06.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 16:22 (Ref:687288)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If outbursts on the radio got a person moved to a new team, Paul Tracy would have driven for every team in racing by now and so would half the grid.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:45 (Ref:687337)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if he's been "out of favour since the French GP", it's clearly showing through the poor results he's put in since that fateful day .
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:46 (Ref:687338)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope JPM doesn't go to Mclaren or Ferrari either, I like JPM and I love Williams, those two together is the perfect marriage for me!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 20:06 (Ref:687460)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Montoyas Radio Outburst

Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
The Colombian has been out of favour at Williams since an outburst on the team radio during the French Grand Prix
Wow, I thought Montoya drove a brilliant race at the German Grand Prix, now that I read that he did this while out of favour at Williams, I don't think there are words strong enough in the English language to describe how well he's been driving since the French Grand Prix!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 01:58 (Ref:687745)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back in CART in 2000 JPM was very annoyed with the fact that his Toyota engine was costing him the championship. He was leading more laps then everyone else combined and then some but couldn't finish a race. Part way through the year he suddenly he calmed down. After the engine blow ups he'd get out of the car smile, have a nice chat and walk away. Everyone knew that he must have sealed a contract with Williams, yet it wasn't announced 'till much later. It will be interesting to see how he reacts for the rest of the season.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 02:25 (Ref:687754)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Bild Motorsport asked J-P about the argument he'd had with the team over the radio, he said he didn't want to talk about it and that it was something to be sorted out between him and the team.

Clearly something was said, it's just that Williams don't want us to find out what exactly...
Old 14 Aug 2003, 08:17 (Ref:687867)   #16
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the heat of the battle competitors can get fired up & i'd be suprised if anyone at Williams would take offence at anything said in the midst of the race.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 09:49 (Ref:687928)   #17
darcym
Veteran

If you listen to the 2001 season review (I think) Ralph Shumacher is quite rude to his team when a break problem spins him out of a race and he limps back to the pits giving the team a mouthful.

Although a friend of mines farther who used to be a truckkie for Williams Renault said that Ralph is not very well liked within the team by his engineers and most of the admin / office although I don't know how true this is.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:00 (Ref:688215)   #18
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I love Monty more than anything! but we all know about "you broke my F&%^&%$# head...." and the temper the boy from bogota has!!! If it wasn't for Connie, that camera man would have been roasted duck!

In the heat of battle, I am sure he had some Alan Jones type comments to be made!!

my only worry is the Williams WDC conversion rate! very poor it seems, i.e. win it and keeping the numero uno plate!! JV.... and thats about it always comes down to bucks, Frank and Patrick will never waste money on a driver if they can spend it on the wind tunnel
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:11 (Ref:688223)   #19
jawa
Racer

jawa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the fact that you all dismiss this Magny-Cours/radio conversation as being completely false without having any information to back it up.

Montoya doesn't deny that there were harsh words spoken over that weekend. And the press aren't just trying to scupper JPM's championship bid by saying he's signed to McLaren for '05. They're saying it because it's probably happened. That's their job...!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:24 (Ref:688304)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They also make up a lot of rubbish up because they have column inches to fill and fast.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:29 (Ref:688308)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by jawa
I like the fact that you all dismiss this Magny-Cours/radio conversation as being completely false without having any information to back it up.
Well it may have happened, but I doubt it's importance anyway.

Part of the dismissive nature around here comes from the fact that they have only themselves to blame. Too much cry wolf about matters in the past.
Quote:
Originally posted by jawa
That's their job...!
You would think so, wouldn't you...

Trouble is there is an arguement that says that does sell!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 16:31 (Ref:688310)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, rather than saying it is false, we are dismissing it as of no immediate concern.

Anyone listening to the Ferrari radio just before TGF missed the red flag and went crashing off the track into a wall at Silverstone, would have heard some very rude screaming by the "World Champion" concerning the utter blasphemy of his teammate passing him on the track. I didn't notice any speculation immediately following that outburst. Nor did anyone at McLaren say anything in particular that I remember when Senna had a screaming fit at Eddie Irvine and ended up punching him up his frogged tunic.

Racing incidents. That's all.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 19:10 (Ref:688456)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big rumour - Montoya may have signed to McLaren yesterday. We shall see.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:18 (Ref:688875)   #24
jawa
Racer

jawa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He signed before yesterday...
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:12 (Ref:688930)   #25
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am of the opinion that Montoya is thicker than a Redwood. He is talented but far too hot-headed to ever convert that talent into anything approaching Senna, Shuey, Prost and Hakkinen. He will be a more successful Alesi and this latest move (which I believe is true) is the beginning of the end! Next stop Jordan...

Disclaimer; I have been wrong before but as I have an ******* so an opinion have I too