Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Jan 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3188586)   #76
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dolly in Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex g View Post
I guess it could have been Finland not the Netherlands. Gregory Marshall would probably be able to confirm. Whichever it is, it certainly didn't win the Championship in 1979 - that was the season when the RAC allowed the RX7 to be homologated as a four-seater (!) and Walkinshaw, unfortunately, beat Gerry and me.
Rex
You have probably all long forgotten this....but today I fund the chassis number of this car purchased from Gerry Marshall.
It is 165284 B if that help to find out which it was ?
Alex
Old 15 Feb 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3614811)   #77
dolomite
Rookie

Norway
Randaberg, south-west Norway
dolomite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for letting me in.. :-)
I have a Dolomite Sprint With a Broadspeed engine, ultra Close ratio 'Box and lots of other nicities, all referring to 1974. The car was raced in Norway by John Arild Nilsen for several seasons. It came from Denmark in the seventies, I have been told, but I have no previous history. It was all white when I got it and had number 312 when John Arne Nilsen raced it on ice in 1980/81.
Can this fit in with any of the other cars in this thread..? I would be delighted to hear that it may have been one with history.
Helge
Old 15 Feb 2016, 14:00 (Ref:3614828)   #78
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like one of the ex-Broadspeed Group 1/1.5 Dolomites my Dad sold at the end of 1979, beginning of 1980.
Arne Riis in Denmark is the man to speak with I think.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3615671)   #79
dolomite
Rookie

Norway
Thank you Gregor,
That may well be correct as my car was first raced on ice in 1979 according to old records. Is there a way to identify the car? Which colour had the cars? I cannot find a chassis number other than a Reference to a Norwegian registered two-door Toledo, obviously added later for rally use. Engine number is VA3323HE.
Helge
Old 18 Feb 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3615672)   #80
GBRM
Veteran

England
The cars were mainly white, with some blue and red detail, but this could well have been sprayed whit before sale.
I have got a picture of what I was told was one of the cars ice racing and it is painted yellow.
I don't know on engine numbers, unfortunately the two people to ask who would know are no longer with us.
The Toldeo link is interesting and I'll see if I can find anything in the sales ledges on Toledos - might have been a VAT/tax loophole!!
Old 18 Feb 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3615705)   #81
dolomite
Rookie

Norway
Gregor,
I do not think that the Toledo number was added in th UK, rather here in Norway for some sort of road/rally excersise. Were the Broadspeed bodies numbered at all..? As mine definitely is -74 (by engine/axle/gearbox marking), and all B racers were sold prior to NeXT season, where did it spend the years between -74 and -79? That is what I would like to find out as well. Any information or lead will be appreciated. I am also waiting for Mr. Riis of Denmark for his knowledge on the car.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 09:06 (Ref:3615927)   #82
GBRM
Veteran

England
I don't know about numbering for Broadspeed cars, but I'm sure there are people out there who do - Andy Rouse would be the best person to ask, but Ken Clarke would probably know too.
I believe that Dad's 1979 Broadspeed cars, were the 1978 cars driven by Tony Dron and maybe John Fitzpatrick's car too, which in turn were Tony Dron's from 1977, which I think Was Andy Rouse's 1976 car - from memory and without checking, that's as far back as I can remember for now!!
Old 2 Jun 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3646562)   #83
dolomite
Rookie

Norway
Gregor,

Did the Bloxham/Harper sprint end up in your father's ownership? My Wheels were painted 'BLOXHAM' inside of the rim. Was any of his cars ever sold directly to Norway?

Helge
Old 2 Jun 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3646639)   #84
GBRM
Veteran

England
Hi Helge
The honest answer is I don't know, Dad could well have bought and sold their car or it could of at least passed through the GMR workshop for Roger Dowson to do some work on the car or supply the engine.
As far as I know, the only cars Dad sold to Scandinavia where the Broadspeed cars, but anything is possible to be fair!!
Old 25 Apr 2019, 00:14 (Ref:3899493)   #85
Ecu2
Rookie

Ecu2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
Not sure of the origins of that car but during a (rare then) 30 min race, after Reg had left the pitlane from his mandatory pitstop, it was hit from behind, by a little Fiat 128 3p. I remember being amazed that the rear wheels of the Dolly were pushed so far forward!! I believe the car was scrapped afterwards.
Sorry for the very late reply. Slight mix up there. It was a one hour race with a manditory pitstop, unfortunately while changing the wheel Reg kept his foot on the brake pedal and boiled the brake fluid. When he took off down the pit lane towards Dunlop and pressed the brake pedal, it went straight to the floor. As luck would have it for Reg but not Mervyn,his 3P Fiat was there to stop the Dolomite from heading to Naas! He rear ended the Fiat, damaged the front wing bonnet and bumper, but continued the race. The car continued to race till the RS Turbo arrived on the scene. It has layed up ever since. It is now in the hands of Ken Clarke to bring it back to its former glory.