Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jun 2019, 22:55 (Ref:3907801)   #276
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Blancpain endurance series just is not enjoyable to watch this year so. The number reason is these stupid safety cars. Throw the FCY, let the cars preserve their track position, clear the track and RACE!

And they want 75 cars for the Spa 24!!!!
At least it is an Endurance race, so there's still some decent racing between the yellows. It's even worse in Blancpain Sprint.

And the Indycar races at Detroit weren't any better. In race1 14 of the 43 laps (32,55%) were run under FCY. In race2 that was 23 of the 75 (30,66%)
In the IMSA race 21 of the 58 laps (36,21%)

I understand there's a yellow for the big crash on lap 1, and when cars block the track.
However there were also strange yellows for seemingly no reason at all.

And ... please SRO, get rid of the Safety Car after FCY ruling. That is plain stupid, and cause more havoc that it supposedly should be solving.

Last edited by gert; 3 Jun 2019 at 23:00.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3907817)   #277
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even without the yellows, I struggle to watch races at Paul Ricard tbh. It's just an awful circuit to watch racing at. I don't understand why ELMS doesn't race at Le Mans Bugatti given the Le Mans links. I'd much rather see Blancpain elsewhere too. But this discussion has been going on for years and nothing changes.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3907819)   #278
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't find Paul Ricard too bad personally - until the sun goes down. There's just something about it once it's dark which means that even the usual challenge of watching high-powered headlights zoom about in the dark is made even worse. Possibly the lack of trees/track furniture and reference points, plus a pretty reflective surface? It's just 2 hours of solid glare for the 1000km at the end. Which is a shame, as the racing is pretty decent.

Disappointed for the #54 Porsche - they've been incredibly impressive this season and were on for another comfortable top ten result, probably a 5th or 6th I'd guess. Would have been another real achievement.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 08:35 (Ref:3907827)   #279
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Even without the yellows, I struggle to watch races at Paul Ricard tbh. It's just an awful circuit to watch racing at. I don't understand why ELMS doesn't race at Le Mans Bugatti given the Le Mans links. I'd much rather see Blancpain elsewhere too. But this discussion has been going on for years and nothing changes.
I get what you say about Paul Ricard. I don't like it that much either as a race track.

At first I was happy they used the full Mistral straight, but the further into the race we got the more I thought the chicane halfway would have been better.

Nothing really happened on the straight anaway, and the full length only enabled cars with a higher top speed to pull away, even taking away the passing opportunity at Signes.

e.g: Bentley versus the 2 Rowe Porsches. The Porsches were as quick anywhere on the track, and quicker at places where you can't overtake. Come the Mistral the Bentley just got away leaving the Porsche just no opportunity to even try.

Of course, that's BOP, but witrh a chicane the Porsches might have been closer at the end of Mistral.

All in all that was not a brilliant race, even though it had its moments.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3907871)   #280
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Agree about Paul Ricard being a horrible track for TV. Maybe the worst in sportscar racing. The 6 hours needs to be somewhere else. Not holding our breathe for it.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3907927)   #281
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Agree about Paul Ricard being a horrible track for TV. Maybe the worst in sportscar racing. The 6 hours needs to be somewhere else. Not holding our breathe for it.

The SRO facilities are at Paul Ricard if I remember rightly.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3907937)   #282
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The FCY->SC thing is really irritating. It disfigured the Spa 24 last year and every race since. There is zero justification for it, in fact I'd say it makes crashes more likely because bunch starts breed more incidents.

I'm also having an almost complete volte-face about large grid sizes. Until this year I was very much a "more the merrier" fan, but after watching demolition derbies in all the Blancpain races this year and yet seeing 20 cars circulate Laguna Seca for 8 hours without a single incident, I've changed my mind. 49 cars with near-identical performance is too many. 70+ at Spa will be carnage for the first few hours and possibly well into the night.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3907938)   #283
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interview with Andrea Caldarelli about FFF's move from Asia to Europe and his double role in the team: https://gt.report/LkPtR
Old 9 Jun 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3908739)   #284
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I disagree, with respec. Le Castellet is a fantastic circuit for these cars. Fast, flowing corners with a combo of lines and lively background for the cameras.
As for the darkness, it's always been much harder to pick cars out when there's a big field.

Overall nice to see Ferrari and Porsche challenging again. Why is it Bentley are mega strong here and not as good anywhere else?

Audi struggling. BOP'd out of it?
Old 9 Jun 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3908806)   #285
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No idea Chunterer, they've been struggling all year. Not sure if its because WRT are over stretched with their DTM program but WRT have not been having a great season. GRT also seem to be struggling too.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3914815)   #286
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Got Blancpain GT World from Misano on. They're doing the whole SC after a FCY thing to bunch them up again.

And I have to be honest, the commentators are being intentionally dense and it's becoming very frustrating to watch. We're under FCY and one car has caught another because the limiters are set 1mph or so apart. Watson then says the car behind should slow down to make the gap again, so he hasn't taken advantage and it's stupid they've caught another car under FCY.

Whilst they're discussing this, the SC is at the head of the field. Which is why they're all closing up. So not only were they wrong, they were completely ignoring that the gap was always going to disappear because of SROs use of the SC.

Commentating isn't easy but Addison seems to be catching Watsons stupidity at this point. If you were new to this and trying to watch it, you'd be very confused.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3914821)   #287
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Addison wasn't there, hes at Oulton Park for BTCC

I agree with you though.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3914823)   #288
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
You're right, it'll have been Bruce Jones I guess. They've stopped identifying themselves during the broadcast and I just assumed. The commentators have probably forgotten their own names by this point. Watson certainly has no idea where he is.
Old 2 Jul 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3915464)   #289
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa 24hrs full entry list at noon today
Old 2 Jul 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3915466)   #290
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Spa 24hrs full entry list at noon today
I only see the test day list so far:

https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/...-spa--test-day

excluding the guests and British GT tests, about 50-55 cars there.

Pro Honda looks strong, extra GPX Porsche and R Motorsport Aston. 3 or 4 KCMG Nissans (can't work out if #39 is an entry?).
Old 2 Jul 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3915467)   #291
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I lie, full list here:

http://vmail.vertouk.net/userfiles/s...MEDIA%20V1.pdf
Old 2 Jul 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3915482)   #292
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
With a 72 car grid I think the discussion about the FCY to Safety car thing will continue unless the SRO people finally get smart about it and dump it and just go FCY only.
Old 2 Jul 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3915490)   #293
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Another day another bout of bad luck for GRT. Mirko crashed the #63 during this afternoons test session.
Old 2 Jul 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3915511)   #294
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the first time again without the 2 or 3 random Porsche GT3 Cups that were doing this race?
Old 2 Jul 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3915520)   #295
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
72 cars, shows some series still can provide more than a full grid
Old 2 Jul 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3915528)   #296
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
72 cars, shows some series still can provide more than a full grid
It means nothing if it can't be managed properly by the stewards on race day. Remember how we were fawning over the huge grids at Daytona and Sebring in 2014 and how that went in the end.
Old 2 Jul 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3915534)   #297
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
In principle 72 cars round Spa is just a jaw-dropping, awesome prospect.

In practice given the recent history of Blancpain events this is going to be a demolition derby for some hours. I'm guessing 2 hours of safety car before midnight and ~50 cars still running at dawn.

As an aside, 1630 is much too late for the race start. The Spa crowd is a hard-drinking one at the best of times and the prospect of large groups of lads drinking all day before the race even starts is a little off-putting.

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man. I hope I'm wrong on all the above.
Old 2 Jul 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3915539)   #298
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting. The Historic Spa 6hrs has well over 100 starters most years, and yes, there are SC periods, but it’s never a demolition derby. No doubt the whole grid of Blancpain cars are more evenly matched on lap times, plus the drivers (mostly) don’t own the cars and have to pay for repairs......

Impressive entry list, so hoping to catch some of the race!
Old 2 Jul 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3915544)   #299
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
In principle 72 cars round Spa is just a jaw-dropping, awesome prospect.

In practice given the recent history of Blancpain events this is going to be a demolition derby for some hours. I'm guessing 2 hours of safety car before midnight and ~50 cars still running at dawn.

As an aside, 1630 is much too late for the race start. The Spa crowd is a hard-drinking one at the best of times and the prospect of large groups of lads drinking all day before the race even starts is a little off-putting.

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man. I hope I'm wrong on all the above.
Agreed. I'm sure only a couple of years ago we had a record entry and it was a disaster at least until midnight. I also seemed to remember an effort being made to reduce the starting numbers in response to this, but I may be mistaken. It seems lessons are not so easily learnt.

As a non-drinker, I don't mind the late start but it will make it a long day the next day. I've never understood getting rat-arsed on Saturday, knowing you have a long day of dehydration and loud vehicles ahead of you.
Old 2 Jul 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3915556)   #300
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Nobody knows what God's plan is for the race, but a whole lot of people will guess that we will have long periods of safety-car.