Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 7 Mar 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2646913)   #26
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
The photo's Roger sent me have both Borgood and Bleekemolen in the car at some time.He said they started the year 1979 in Ralt RT1 then switched to the 793 later.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2646914)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Chris i will scan the photos and post them later. Flat out at the Minuit getting new body work to fit nicely.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2648315)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Bleekamolen
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2648317)   #29
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Borgudd
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2648550)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Bleekamolen
See, in period you have these nice skirts sliding up and down. Surely they need to be refitted to make the car as per original specification don't they?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2648807)   #31
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pics taken at Donington maybe? The Euro round in May 79??
Old 18 Apr 2017, 03:09 (Ref:3727457)   #32
Steve Willing
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Steve Willing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thackwell March 793

Hi all,
I'm looking for photos of the Mike Thackwell 793, preferably without the bodywork. I'm currently looking at a car that purports to be the Thackwell car and it has a different access panel to the pedals to all other photos of 793's I have seen (triangular shape), this being the twin hole setup as seen on earlier March's. There is no evidence in the cars log book that suggests it has had a significant crash that required a rebuild, however I am led to believe that Autosport reports Thackwell had a pre-season crash in his car. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 01:59 (Ref:3771418)   #33
Steve Willing
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Thackwell 793

I've now purchased the car. It was originally imported into Australia in parts to avoid paying import duty, and then reconstructed. Because of this the owner Russell Norden said it was a replica 793 and called it an Arbyen, based on his initials (RBN). Unfortunately there is no chassis plate however there is no doubt in my mind that it is NOT a replica but a real 793, which is confirmed by several facts. There is a stamp on the rear bulkhead for the roll bar mount of 9M018, which I am led to believe indicates it to be an early build 793. I have also spoken with the engineer involved (Harry Galloway) with the car in period, who indicated that the chassis was a little tired and flexing leading to poor handling when it arrived so he either reskinned it or re-riveted it. (he does not recall which, understandable give both his and the cars age!). Contemporary publications on the cars arrival state that the car came with the bodywork from the Thackwell car. Looking at the bodywork red gel coat can be seen clearly and I have to original side pods and sliding skirts, which are also red. The cut down windscreen is also the same as the Thackwell car. Unfortunately both Russell and Steve knott, who built the engines, have both recently passed away, so I am not able to confirm it is the Thackwell chassis (001).
Old 28 May 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3906546)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Hi, I have now owned my 793 for very nearly 35 years but I cant get HTP papers. Does anyone have any period photos of Slim Borgudd or Michael Bleekemolens racing the car chassis no 19 in period please. I have e mailed Ted to see if he can help. many thanks for your time in advance. iain.
Old 29 May 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3906676)   #35
f3guide
Rookie

Germany
Munich
f3guide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look here: https://www.formel3guide.com/fotos/f...otos-1979.html

You can contact Daniel Klein for the respective photos, he has bought the photo archives of Heide and Peter Nicot
Old 29 May 2019, 11:44 (Ref:3906708)   #36
Steve Willing
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, now have a video of the car from 1980 showing the "correct original" access hole above pedals, which confirms car has been reskinned. This also helps to confirm that it is not a replica as it is highly unlikely that you would reskin a newly built uncrashed car! Would like to get the car Issued with a historic log book recognising it as a March 793 but talks with people here who are on the Historic Commission indicate that CAMS unlikely to allow as it was originally represented as a replica to avoid import tax, that is despite a multitude of evidence to the contrary!
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3912487)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3guide View Post
Look here: https://www.formel3guide.com/fotos/f...otos-1979.html

You can contact Daniel Klein for the respective photos, he has bought the photo archives of Heide and Peter Nicot
Thank you for your help.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 17:43 (Ref:3955697)   #38
pauljamesdaniels
Rookie

pauljamesdaniels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

march 793 chassis 3 delivered new to piercarlo ghinzani with toyota novamotor
ghinzani raced with alfa romeo engines in the italian f3 championship winning 7 rounds and the championship
piercarlo had intended to compete in the european F3 but balestre/FIA blocked this in order to help prost's chances on the basis ghinzanni was taking a step back from F2 in which he raced in 1978.
at the end of 1979 the alfa engines were returned to the factory having been on loan and piercarlo reinstalled the toyota unit supplied by march.following which the car remained in piercarlo's collection with very little use
i purchased the car directly from him 23/7/2015 - it is completely original with historic passport issued by the MSA.
i have competed with it at the nurburgring old-timer grand prix (2nd in class) and the jim clark meeting at hockenhiem
must be one of the best 1970's single seaters out there and a joy to drive
paul daniels