Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3874552)   #226
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What's the surprise?
It's made from swede?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3874566)   #227
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
You are quite right Baub but in my defence I've been so busy at work today I've had to wait until I got home before I could check the forum!
Another good use for rolled oats is of course in the making of flapjack, another part of the range of home baked goodies produced by my wife (no Baub, it's not a pie stall!).
Peter Mallet
Quote:
Agreed.
Viv if such a distinguished member of out forum agrees that it is not a Pie Stall I will have to re-align my thinking. Please assure your (undoubtedly) charming wife that I withdraw my previous remark.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3874568)   #228
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you Mike H for moving the panty story over to tea break! Now, back to the scintillating topic of possible brexit implications on our sport, and even some tenthers livelihoods....
Old 7 Jan 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3874571)   #229
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Removed and reposted elsewhere as it was re edible panties.
Could not delete.

Last edited by E.B; 7 Jan 2019 at 21:08.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 05:31 (Ref:3874655)   #230
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You're right again, E.B, the subject you mention is far too serious and has to be discussed in a serious thread…

Please Peter, correct me if wrong, but there is a "précédent" for a country to leave the EU, Groenland. Later on, French people could express itself via referendum (Holland too). The question was about a new european constitution, answer was no. What did they do with this answer? They modified the existing texts and Bob's your uncle! Within few weeks we'll have another opportunity to say yes or no. I suspect people won't care about the real subject and will make profit with this opportunity to say what they mean about our actual gov'.

Cynism is not a new thing here, when Valery Giscard d'Estaing former president was asked about the referendum, he gave a short answer: "It can be a good thing, but only if the answer is yes"…
Old 8 Jan 2019, 06:05 (Ref:3874656)   #231
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To go back to the original point of the thread I still believe businesses are best equipped to deal with the while thing and I'm confident that Eddie S and his fellow truckers already have plans in place. It will be business, not government that gets through this.

Yes Gerard although I think Iceland left the EEC not the EU.

And you are also correct. The next treaty is for further integration.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3874661)   #232
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Peter Mallet

Viv if such a distinguished member of out forum agrees that it is not a Pie Stall I will have to re-align my thinking. Please assure your (undoubtedly) charming wife that I withdraw my previous remark.
Thank you Baub, I will now dispose of the street map of Luton that she suggested I buy for her as a Christmas present...
Old 8 Jan 2019, 08:50 (Ref:3874674)   #233
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To go back to the original point of the thread I still believe businesses are best equipped to deal with the while thing and I'm confident that Eddie S and his fellow truckers already have plans in place. It will be business, not government that gets through this.

Yes Gerard although I think Iceland left the EEC not the EU.

And you are also correct. The next treaty is for further integration.
Peter it was only yesterday after seeing the trucking fiasco that the same, or similar thought occurred to me. That business would sort it's self out, after all that is where the most common sense is to be found, the most practicality.
Qualities that governments of any shade rarely show, and if they do political considerations will always take precedent.

Like you I have faith in the British nation to stand on it's own two feet despite the watering down of the national character since the last war.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3874675)   #234
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Peter it was only yesterday after seeing the trucking fiasco that the same, or similar thought occurred to me. That business would sort it's self out, after all that is where the most common sense is to be found, the most practicality.
Qualities that governments of any shade rarely show, and if they do political considerations will always take precedent.

Like you I have faith in the British nation to stand on it's own two feet despite the watering down of the national character since the last war.
Watering down,rather describe it as being the fire has been extinguished sadly.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3874677)   #235
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's made from swede?
So that's how they reduce the number of Swedish immigrants...
Old 8 Jan 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3874679)   #236
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Like you I have faith in the British nation to stand on it's own two feet
We seriously count on you in this matter, Ami Robert. Someone has to show the way and lead the pack.
Our gov' is fighting hard atm, but against the will of people. They dont care about our history, there are wrong I hope. Its the first time people contest during winter time and each time women went in the streets to protest it has always been the start of a big mess. Women are in the streets here.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3874688)   #237
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Watering down,rather describe it as being the fire has been extinguished sadly.
I disagree. This is off topic but I was in the middle of the 7 July 2005 bombings and the one thing I noticed, as did my Turkish colleagues who were with me, was the stoic acceptance of the problem and a generally calm attitude which was all pervading. This was in the very centre of London which is as multi-cultural as you can get. My respect for the emergency services, who are also made up of many nationalities went up ten fold.

It's not so much a case of where you come from, as a case of accepting where you are and living by those rules/conventions.

The nastiness on both sides of this (Brexit) debate is being engendered by interested parties. There's a Motor Sport Journalist, Matt Bishop, who is doing all he can to raise spiteful and in some cases possibly libelous tweets to support his anti Brexit position. Unfortunately another motorsport journo whose name I shan't mention, often re-tweets him. Not only is it boring, whenever I point out that there is an alternative view he fails to engage.

The Soubry thing is particularly bad and should be jumped on, but in essence no worse than the Remain campaign, hoping that people die before another referendum.

It is also noticeable that the most vociferous remain campaigners are those who are either journalists, actors/performers or politicians. Freeloaders, but with the means to publicize their position.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3874696)   #238
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The days of spotting countless Stobby and Nobby trucks seem to have gone, especially on ferries. Most I see at Calais and Dunkirk appear to be from Eastern Europe, and most at Caen from Spain / Portugal / Italy. Obviously Bilbao and Santander seem to be mostly Spanish and Portuguese, so I reckon any extra paperwork and checks will affect mainland European haulage companies more than UK.....

The people that could struggle are the one to three trucks and owner/driver operations that make up most of motorsport movement.

But the way things are going (or not going) suggests to me that 2019 will be ‘carry on regardless’.....
Old 8 Jan 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3874700)   #239
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We seriously count on you in this matter, Ami Robert. Someone has to show the way and lead the pack.
Our gov' is fighting hard atm, but against the will of people. They dont care about our history, there are wrong I hope. Its the first time people contest during winter time and each time women went in the streets to protest it has always been the start of a big mess. Women are in the streets here.
Gerard over here we say; On the streets!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3874701)   #240
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Your point is generally in agreement with me in that the two/three truck racers will be largely unaffected because all the donkey-work will have been done by the bigger companies. Anyway if your other point about lack of exporting is correct then what are we worried about anyway?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3874713)   #241
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
i reckon a lot of exporting is done via ‘foreign’ registered trucks. I can’t believe the queues of E. European, German etc wagons you see at Dover are all going home empty.....
Old 8 Jan 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3874714)   #242
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quite possibly. Again though if they are foreign trucks what checks do they need?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 15:22 (Ref:3874735)   #243
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Quite possibly. Again though if they are foreign trucks what checks do they need?
I’m assuming Peter that it’s the goods on board that will incur checks, regardless of the country of origin of the truck? So if, for example, a Hungarian truck crosses from here to France loaded with British goods, it will be subject to same checks as a UK registered wagon would have been?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3874736)   #244
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes that was my point really. So they will be eager to make sure they don't get stopped/delayed. Wasn't there a time when Eddie S and others registered their vehicles in Belgium in order to make sure they could cross back over to mainland Europe with less fuss?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3874741)   #245
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes that was my point really. So they will be eager to make sure they don't get stopped/delayed. Wasn't there a time when Eddie S and others registered their vehicles in Belgium in order to make sure they could cross back over to mainland Europe with less fuss?

From memory it was because of savings on VED plus other taxes, and the ability to employ drivers at lower rates than they were paying to UK drivers.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3874744)   #246
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I disagree. This is off topic but I was in the middle of the 7 July 2005 bombings and the one thing I noticed, as did my Turkish colleagues who were with me, was the stoic acceptance of the problem and a generally calm attitude which was all pervading. This was in the very centre of London which is as multi-cultural as you can get. My respect for the emergency services, who are also made up of many nationalities went up ten fold.
That brings back similar memories for me Peter - I was in London that same day for a meeting. I was early so walked most of the way after the first tube journey from Kings Cross. During the meeting it became clear what had happened and after offering our services to the Met (it was a Police meeting) we split up and walked back to our respective train stations but the atmosphere on the streets was almost like nothing had happened - apart from when we walked past hospitals etc.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3874759)   #247
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Wonder if we ended up in the same pub.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3874771)   #248
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
From memory it was because of savings on VED plus other taxes, and the ability to employ drivers at lower rates than they were paying to UK drivers.
That’s how I remember it as well. Cost savings!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3874784)   #249
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That’s how I remember it as well. Cost savings!
It was called "flagging out" trucks were registered in Holland and paid £600 a year tax instead of the £3000+ that we had to pay here. The government woke up to it eventually and lowered our road fund rates for HGVs and then put the difference on diesel which is why it's been dearer than petrol for about twenty years whereas it used to be cheaper.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3874789)   #250
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It was called "flagging out" trucks were registered in Holland and paid £600 a year tax instead of the £3000+ that we had to pay here. The government woke up to it eventually and lowered our road fund rates for HGVs and then put the difference on diesel which is why it's been dearer than petrol for about twenty years whereas it used to be cheaper.
Then encouraged all car drivers to change to diesel to save the planet from CO2.

Hmm. Some smart cookies in the Govt. PR departments to find a way to keep the lid in that one.

I wonder which way they plan to work the same "encouragement" to switch to electric vehicles yet still recover the lost duty payments?